• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keith Smart is head coach again

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right up the road in Sac-town. Well, at least for tonight.

The Queens fired Westphal and are using Keith Smart as head coach tonight against the Bucks.

Sacramento Kings fire Paul Westphal - ESPN

It doesn't sound too much like Smart is going to be given a shot to be the head guy too much longer though.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right up the road in Sac-town. Well, at least for tonight.

The Queens fired Westphal and are using Keith Smart as head coach tonight against the Bucks.

Sacramento Kings fire Paul Westphal - ESPN

It doesn't sound too much like Smart is going to be given a shot to be the head guy too much longer though.

Why should this stint be any different from his last? That guy needs to go be a college head coach for a few years.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why should this stint be any different from his last? That guy needs to go be a college head coach for a few years.

While I agree with you, the Kings players really seem to like this guy. They battled back HARD last night and showed a genuine affection for him after the beat the Bucks. The Maloofs are the kinds of owners who will want to make a big splash with their cash, but if they were smart, they would make sure the new guy was as well liked as Smart.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you, the Kings players really seem to like this guy. They battled back HARD last night and showed a genuine affection for him after the beat the Bucks. The Maloofs are the kinds of owners who will want to make a big splash with their cash, but if they were smart, they would make sure the new guy was as well liked as Smart.

That's great, and I wish him nothing but the best (except when the Kings are playing the Warriors, obviously). I just think the aspects of coaching that he is good at (interaction with players, up-tempo ball, etc.) are better suited to the college game. He was a great college player, and a (barely) average pro player (maybe). He has gained some cred with his NBA coaching experience, and needs to learn about smart rotations and halftime adjustments while having job security and being the BMOC, again.

Plus, I'm pretty upset about Oregon losing the two best players from their most recent recruiting class in the first three weeks of the season. Go be a Duck, Keith! (Sorry, Dana)

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's great, and I wish him nothing but the best (except when the Kings are playing the Warriors, obviously). I just think the aspects of coaching that he is good at (interaction with players, up-tempo ball, etc.) are better suited to the college game. He was a great college player, and a (barely) average pro player (maybe). He has gained some cred with his NBA coaching experience, and needs to learn about smart rotations and halftime adjustments while having job security and being the BMOC, again.

Plus, I'm pretty upset about Oregon losing the two best players from their most recent recruiting class in the first three weeks of the season. Go be a Duck, Keith! (Sorry, Dana)

Your points are all true. I think that to be a successful head coach, he will need that college experience - or a guy like Tex Winter calling the plays for him. Since there aren't too many Tex Winter types left in the NBA, he should try college for a while.

As for your other statement, I give you the best answer I can (fast-forward to 2:26 in the video - I tried to get it to start there, but for some reason the You Tube links on this page don't allow for that to happen.)

[YOUTUBE]zrzMhU_4m-g#t=146s[/YOUTUBE]