• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keeping the team together

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And only 2 of them won their division last year.

ace ventura thumbs up GIF

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I feel like a team should get some sort of cap discount for homegrown guys. If you have a great draft class there's no way you can bring those guys back. Have their cap hit discounted 10% or I don't know, something to help teams keep talent.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I feel like a team should get some sort of cap discount for homegrown guys. If you have a great draft class there's no way you can bring those guys back. Have their cap hit discounted 10% or I don't know, something to help teams keep talent.
What you are suggesting is help for teams to stockpile talent. The purpose of the cap and the Draft is to make it harder for teams to stockpile talent. Trying to prevent teams from being perpetually good and assisting weak teams to become better has been the blueprint for league wide fan interest and the NFL's financial success over other sports.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that was intent of the franchise and transition tag. But I don’t think the owners thought one of their players would ever take up 10% of their cap. And now they are all raking in so much money they haven’t revisited that.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in that same minority boat. (if this thought is in the minority)

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly never thought of that. But i very much agree.
I've talked about it in the past. I think more than 10% of cap relief, but it sucks to season a player & then have to let him go to a shitty team with more cap room, once he is a bad ass.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've talked about it in the past. I think more than 10% of cap relief, but it sucks to season a player & then have to let him go to a shitty team with more cap room, once he is a bad ass.
Totally agree. Reward it. Think the hard part is determining the cap relief. I guess it wouod have to be 10% of homegrown players contracts, not ten % cap relief period. Well duhhhh obviously now that i typed that. But... is that for all homegrown contracts? Rookie deals? What if a guy was drafted by you and left and came back?

you may have brought it up before. I may have discussed it with you ...lol

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. Reward it. Think the hard part is determining the cap relief. I guess it wouod have to be 10% of homegrown players contracts, not ten % cap relief period. Well duhhhh obviously now that i typed that. But... is that for all homegrown contracts? Rookie deals? What if a guy was drafted by you and left and came back?

I think if they leave & come back it is off the table.
The goal is to not let them leave or they not wanting to leave.
If they pull an Alvin Harper. They are just a football player at that point.
Player & team knowing they could get paid more & hurt the team around them less is a good consideration to not leave.
It would probably take someone smarter than me to iron the amount of relief.
but off hand a certain percentage of contract amount & maybe a some free (cap wise) signing/roster bonus to a certain amount (an alotment of bonus money not counting against the cap)
To me since you brought it. Rookie contracts arent apart of the homegrown rule, since it is already being set by the NFL. Just resigning or extending homegrown players.
Now for the twist.
If you trade a player on a homegrown contract. the "free" bonus allotment would come due to the existing team & the new team deals with the true #'s of the contract. (excluding the bonus charged to the 1st team)

Some thought off the top of my head.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player & team knowing they could get paid more & hurt the team around them less is a good consideration to not leave.
but off hand a certain percentage of contract amount & maybe a some free (cap wise) signing/roster bonus to a certain amount (an alotment of bonus money not counting against the cap)
To me since you brought it. Rookie contracts arent apart of the homegrown rule, since it is already being set by the NFL. Just resigning or extending homegrown players.
Now for the twist.
If you trade a player on a homegrown contract. the "free" bonus allotment would come due to the existing team & the new team deals with the true #'s of the contract. (excluding the bonus charged to the 1st team)

happy good mythical morning GIF by Rhett and Link

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for the twist.

Some of cap discount when a player signs an extension, when they will become eligible for an extension, after three seasons of their rookie deal. Only the first extension will be cap discounted.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of cap discount when a player signs an extension, when they will become eligible for an extension, after three seasons of their rookie deal. Only the first extension will be cap discounted.
Image result for Ill take it gif

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if done right. that would give you 8-10 years of your draft picks. Where both are happy. Until an agent fills his head with nonsense.

Also would limit a lot of the fran tags used. Since you are onto something being the 1st extension or resigning.
Would I waste my 1st "homegrown" resigning of Dak <insert any name here> on a fran tag. or would I make sure it was a long term deal?

I am just shooting from the hip here off what any of us are saying, but this point you have would help from abusing the fran tag as well.

I would rather have my discount on a 200 mil contract vs. a 35 mil contract.

Good thinking! :thumb:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can’t really blame the players they found a way around the intent of the tags. But to solve the problem is the NFL needs negotiate NBA rules of max contracts but spread out that extra year throughout duration of the salary instead of his last year. It’s too late now because of the new CBA and truthfully it isn’t a priority for the owners because they are making money hand over fist regardless if they are losers like the Jets and Skins. And I highly doubt the NFLPA is ever coming to the table with a cap on what their players can make.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hard to see a system to reward a team for homegrown talent. They kinda are rewarded because they have those guys on a rookie deal for 4 to 5 years and the franchise tag is there to help teams retain a guy.

What I would like to see is some sort of dead cap forgiveness to where you can designate one contract up to a certain amount where the dead cap isn't applied to your cap space.