• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kayak Fishing

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAIZE, have you looked into the Deeper Sonar? I always thought it was "kinda cool" but also kind of hokey. Chad Hoover just did a video on it and brought up some great points. He's a fan. Likes it better than the cheaper (sub $400 units) sonars. Says it's accurate and works well. Not a gimmick.

One thing he pointed out that I hadn't thought of has really gotten my attention. Throwing it out and letting it float down stream in current before you move into an area. Mind blown. Am I crazy or does that sound pretty valuable to a river fisherman? Looks like the Setup for the Pro+ is about $220 but that's everything you need. Unless you want the boat mount. That's another $70.
I follow a few fishing guys on YouTube and I've seen the cell phone based things before. My biggest problem is that you have to use a cell phone. I think it would be more appealing if I didn't have to use my $1100 phone as a screen out on my boat. I wish it had an LCD screen in the system that you could get as an option. But I do think the actual app has a lot more features than some of the portable units out there; like the mapping of lakes or areas you fish at.

It seems like you would only need the Pro+ if you did a lot of from shore casting and wanted to map without your phone. I think I could get away with the Pro and the mount for about the same price as the Pro+

Looking at some of the reviews though, it seems concerning how many people say it doesn't work or disconnects all the time.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I follow a few fishing guys on YouTube and I've seen the cell phone based things before. My biggest problem is that you have to use a cell phone. I think it would be more appealing if I didn't have to use my $1100 phone as a screen out on my boat. I wish it had an LCD screen in the system that you could get as an option. But I do think the actual app has a lot more features than some of the portable units out there; like the mapping of lakes or areas you fish at.

It seems like you would only need the Pro+ if you did a lot of from shore casting and wanted to map without your phone. I think I could get away with the Pro and the mount for about the same price as the Pro+

Looking at some of the reviews though, it seems concerning how many people say it doesn't work or disconnects all the time.
I haven't seen those reviews. Might have to look into it more if that's what you're seeing. I checked some and mostly what I saw were glowing.

My phone is out all the time because I'm always using the maps on Navionics. But you could also pick up a cheap tablet (bigger screen too) and use that instead of a phone screen.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen those reviews. Might have to look into it more if that's what you're seeing. I checked some and mostly what I saw were glowing.

My phone is out all the time because I'm always using the maps on Navionics. But you could also pick up a cheap tablet (bigger screen too) and use that instead of a phone screen.

You would not have this problem if you had an $1,100 phone you cheap bastard.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hummingbird helix 5 G2, mapping/gps and phone interaction plus can hook up to a ipilot trolling motor
$300 bucks

Ulefone armor series is probably a solution too. You could probably drop it in the lake and fish it out and it would still work. Not sure why they dont just make these phones with some material that makes them float.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hummingbird helix 5 G2, mapping/gps and phone interaction plus can hook up to a ipilot trolling motor
$300 bucks
That's more stuff to attach to my kayak though haha. More stuff stresses me out lol.

I have looked at the Helix 5 though. And it's an option, for sure.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$300 bucks
I'm curious, can you hook the transducer to a standard trolling motor? That's my biggest issue with an inflatable is that I need something that can either suction to the side or float on it's own. If I could hook a standard unit to the trolling motor, that might work as well. I don't think it would be hard fashioning some box to mount the unit to and put a battery in. It's just the transducer mount that I'm struggling to figure out.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Humminbird sells mounts for their transducers so they can be affixed to the motor.

txTIGER1963

ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 417.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious, can you hook the transducer to a standard trolling motor? That's my biggest issue with an inflatable is that I need something that can either suction to the side or float on it's own. If I could hook a standard unit to the trolling motor, that might work as well. I don't think it would be hard fashioning some box to mount the unit to and put a battery in. It's just the transducer mount that I'm struggling to figure out.

yes and hummingbird sells many diff mounts
the helix also has a traditional flasher mode for ice fishing so it can be a portable also

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have only used the pontoon once this season... Sad state of affairs. My 2nd kid was born in April so I've been pretty much tethered to the house all spring/summer.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have only used the pontoon once this season... Sad state of affairs. My 2nd kid was born in April so I've been pretty much tethered to the house all spring/summer.
Congrats!

Damn kids! Wait till you get to #4. By the third one I didn't even notice that we had more. Wife was like one of those ball machines at the batting cage. They just kept flying out so fast I stopped swinging.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats!

Damn kids! Wait till you get to #4. By the third one I didn't even notice that we had more. Wife was like one of those ball machines at the batting cage. They just kept flying out so fast I stopped swinging.
Holy shit, you have 4??? After 2 I'm channeling my inner Usain Bolt to get to the snip clinic.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, you have 4??? After 2 I'm channeling my inner Usain Bolt to get to the snip clinic.
Hahaha. Yeah man. FOUR. And three of them are daughters. So yeah, that's when I got into guns.

I can't do the snip. Someone comes at my bag with a knife my fight or flight instincts kick in.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha. Yeah man. FOUR. And three of them are daughters. So yeah, that's when I got into guns.

I can't do the snip. Someone comes at my bag with a knife my fight or flight instincts kick in.
I’m the same... and that’s why I haven’t scheduled to have it done yet. Scares me shitless just thinking about it but I’m slowly mustering up the courage.

And holy shit x2! 3 girls!!!

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m the same... and that’s why I haven’t scheduled to have it done yet. Scares me shitless just thinking about it but I’m slowly mustering up the courage.

And holy shit x2! 3 girls!!!
Haha. Right.

You have two now eh? Boy/Girl count?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An irritating development this past few weeks has been my lack of time on the water. Between the weather, my schedule, and getting an upper respiratory infection I pretty much missed July and now it's half way through August. The good news is that this is the shittiest time during bass season with the high water temps.

I'm planning on getting the yaks out this weekend though. Saturday morning I'm doing a 9 mile float on the Kiski. Sunday I'm going to hit a few local lakes. Not expecting too much. The barometric pressure is rising and it's just hot out there but I might get some action slowing things down and finding deeper water (on the lakes) while focusing on the faster water in the river (more oxygen should attract smallies).

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got out Sunday morning. Did an 8 mile float on the Kiski. Water was so clear it was like looking into a glass of ice water. Visibility was about 5-6'. I've never seen it that clear.

Didn't have much luck. Targeted the outside of bends and the usual current seems / eddies. Had plenty of action top water with the Berkley Choppo (prop bait like the whopper plopper) with small mouth but nothing of any size. Literally I'd be shocked if anything was over 10". I mean they were all dinks. Saw some bigger ones (saw a few musky too) but couldn't get them to eat.

Fantastic day on the water though.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caught a few more dinks and one nice one this past weekend. He was hiding out under a tree on an outside bend. Way up against the bank. I mean tight to that bank. Looked about 15-17" but I can't be certain. Used the "pro-move quick release" where I let him unhook himself, bounce off my boat and flop into the water. Still counts right? Used a Berkley Choppo again. Loving the Choppo for river smallies.