• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick & Harbaugh Future

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from ESPN Insider. haven't heard this before. I will have to comment on it later.

During the San Francisco 49ers' current two-game losing streak, Colin Kaepernick failed to completed more than 55.2 percent of his passes in either outing and has totaled just 295 passing yards.

Despite the struggles, coach Jim Harbaugh isn't prepared to make a switch to Blaine Gabbert at quarterback.

"It's in a rough patch the last couple games," Harbaugh said of their offense. "There are things to improve and correct."

"Colin's our quarterback," Harbaugh added.

General manager Trent Baalke also threw his support behind Kaepernick Monday.

"You've seen, throughout his short career to this point, plenty of opportunity and plenty of signs where he's performed well in those situations," Baalke said on 95.7's The Game (H/T San Jose Mercury News).

"To hang it all on Kap is unfair. A lot goes into it to get an offense the timing, rhythm, confidence, swagger to consistently move the ball. The defenses are getting better, and we've got to match up on that side of the ball, no doubt."

At this time, all signs point to the 49ers dumping Harbaugh and keeping Kaepernick next season. ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando thinks that someone like Kyle Shanahan would be a good fit as Harbuagh's replacement both for the Niners and Kaepernick:

Mike Sando
The debate on Kaepernick's future
"League insiders familiar with the situation in San Francisco expect the 49ers to replace Harbaugh and the offensive staff, at a minimum. The feeling is that embracing Kaepernick as a dual-threat quarterback will be a prerequisite for the team's next offensive coaches. Some think San Francisco will pursue a head coach and/or coordinator such as Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who worked with [Robert] Griffin in Washington and could become a head-coaching candidate after his work with the Browns this season. Scott Frost, the offensive coordinator at Oregon, also fits the profile of a coach who would likely embrace working with Kaepernick instead of pushing for a more traditional pocket quarterback. Adam Gase was on the Denver Broncos' staff when the team adapted its offense for Tim Tebow, although Gase was not the coordinator at that time
."

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B4YCispIEAAk_cK.jpg

So we're going to embrace this?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from ESPN Insider. haven't heard this before. I will have to comment on it later.

During the San Francisco 49ers' current two-game losing streak, Colin Kaepernick failed to completed more than 55.2 percent of his passes in either outing and has totaled just 295 passing yards.

Despite the struggles, coach Jim Harbaugh isn't prepared to make a switch to Blaine Gabbert at quarterback.

"It's in a rough patch the last couple games," Harbaugh said of their offense. "There are things to improve and correct."

"You've seen, throughout his short career to this point, plenty of opportunity and plenty of signs where he's performed well in those situations," Baalke said on 95.7's The Game (H/T San Jose Mercury News).

"To hang it all on Kap is unfair. A lot goes into it to get an offense the timing, rhythm, confidence, swagger to consistently move the ball. The defenses are getting better, and we've got to match up on that side of the ball, no doubt."

At this time, all signs point to the 49ers dumping Harbaugh and keeping Kaepernick next season. ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando thinks that someone like Kyle Shanahan would be a good fit as Harbuagh's replacement both for the Niners and Kaepernick:

Mike Sando
"League insiders familiar with the situation in San Francisco expect the 49ers to replace Harbaugh and the offensive staff, at a minimum. The feeling is that embracing Kaepernick as a dual-threat quarterback will be a prerequisite for the team's next offensive coaches. Some think San Francisco will pursue a head coach and/or coordinator such as Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who worked with [Robert] Griffin in Washington and could become a head-coaching candidate after his work with the Browns this season. Scott Frost, the offensive coordinator at Oregon, also fits the profile of a coach who would likely embrace working with Kaepernick instead of pushing for a more traditional pocket quarterback. Adam Gase was on the Denver Broncos' staff when the team adapted its offense for Tim Tebow, although Gase was not the coordinator at that time
."

This is what im talking about. He should be a dual threat QB. Harbaugh and Roman has made him into a pocket QB when he isn't one. The offense we run now isn't what best suits Kap and the offense.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Sando
."

Some of this would surprise me. Especially about firing the entire O staff. The front office has always loved Rathman as RB coach. He's had Frank forever, but Hunter has been a good player and Hyde has had some rookie mistakes, but he's looked fairly good too along with his pass blocking.

Kyle Shanahan and Scott Frost are interesting names I hadn't really considered, but my main concern would be they be good rookie head coaches. Gruden would be the big name everyone is looking for, but looking over the work Frost and Shanahan have I'd be interested in diving deeper to see if they would be a fit. Shanahan more than Frost.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of this would surprise me. Especially about firing the entire O staff. The front office has always loved Rathman as RB coach. He's had Frank forever, but Hunter has been a good player and Hyde has had some rookie mistakes, but he's looked fairly good too along with his pass blocking.

Kyle Shanahan and Scott Frost are interesting names I hadn't really considered, but my main concern would be they be good rookie head coaches. Gruden would be the big name everyone is looking for, but looking over the work Frost and Shanahan have I'd be interested in diving deeper to see if they would be a fit. Shanahan more than Frost.

Assuming this is all true, I am a bit concerned. My approach would be to try and get the BCA (Best Coach Available) rather than trying to find a coach to fit Kaepernick. I think the really good coaches will get the best out of any player regardless of style. I think that is true of Bill Walsh. Kyle Shanahan? How well did that turn out in Washington?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Assuming this is all true, I am a bit concerned. My approach would be to try and get the BCA (Best Coach Available) rather than trying to find a coach to fit Kaepernick. I think the really good coaches will get the best out of any player regardless of style. I think that is true of Bill Walsh. Kyle Shanahan? How well did that turn out in Washington?

agree, best HC comes before Kaep.

Even if we wait a year for his system to really take hold, that makes more sense. A new offense isn't only about Kaep, there are 25 or so other guys to transition.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, best HC comes before Kaep.

::pound:Even if we wait a year for his system to really take hold, that makes more sense. A new offense isn't only about Kaep, there are 25 or so other guys to transition.

:agree: It should be the entire offense, not just predicated on Kap. Kap can still use his legs, but if he wants to have a long career, eventually he needs to learn how to throw from the pocket and improve on his field vision.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:agree: It should be the entire offense, not just predicated on Kap. Kap can still use his legs, but if he wants to have a long career, eventually he needs to learn how to throw from the pocket and improve on his field vision.

this is true but IMO, he won't "learn" much more. Cause If he was learning and improving, it'll have shown by now.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol honestly that was my first reaction when thinking of Kyle Shanahan, but after looking into it more and thinking about it I would be interested in interviewing him.

RGIII's rookie season was fairly good. Also remember they were beating the Seahawks in the playoffs with RGIII and they had a ton of trouble stopping him before he got hurt.

The things that happened after seem more like issues with the team and RGIII (well documented now) than the offense.

If you also look at Clevelands offense now and Hoyer has put up numbers that aren't too much different than Kaps despite Gordon missing most of the year and their O isn't as talented as ours. Nevermind Hoyer not being as talented as Kap either.

I'm not saying Kyle Shanahan is my #1 choice but he would be someone I would interview and look into besides Gruden, Pep Hamilton (Colts), Fangio, and others.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol honestly that was my first reaction when thinking of Kyle Shanahan, but after looking into it more and thinking about it I would be interested in interviewing him.

RGIII's rookie season was fairly good. Also remember they were beating the Seahawks in the playoffs with RGIII and they had a ton of trouble stopping him before he got hurt.

The things that happened after seem more like issues with the team and RGIII (well documented now) than the offense.

If you also look at Clevelands offense now and Hoyer has put up numbers that aren't too much different than Kaps despite Gordon missing most of the year and their O isn't as talented as ours. Nevermind Hoyer not being as talented as Kap either.

I'm not saying Kyle Shanahan is my #1 choice but he would be someone I would interview and look into besides Gruden, Pep Hamilton (Colts), Fangio, and others.

Understandable to interview. I could possibly see him as OC but not HC. I would rather have his father, a proven commodity

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Burning of jerseys isn't the way to go, if you don't want it, sell it. I am sure there is history behind burning but I remember the Lebron stuff and just recently Culter.

Anyways, question for the board. I tweeted out to some beat writers in SF but got no response. Does anyone know if Kaep has ever done any sort of off season training with other QBs or hall of fame (if they hold camps)? Like has he ever trained with Aaron Rodgers or Joe Montana (not necessarily Joe, this is just an example of a hall of fame QB he could've trained with)

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burning of jerseys isn't the way to go, if you don't want it, sell it. I am sure there is history behind burning but I remember the Lebron stuff and just recently Culter.

Anyways, question for the board. I tweeted out to some beat writers in SF but got no response. Does anyone know if Kaep has ever done any sort of off season training with other QBs or hall of fame (if they hold camps)? Like has he ever trained with Aaron Rodgers or Joe Montana (not necessarily Joe, this is just an example of a hall of fame QB he could've trained with)

Interesting question you brought up. I have not heard. I will say this. Great players do not necessarily make great teachers. They are two separate skills. I never played football, but this is universal and it is something I learned during my years of martial arts training. I also once read that backup QB's made the best coaches and/or teachers as they spent years watching and listening to coaches as opposed to always being on the field playing. I suspect Kaepernick would get as much out of a really good QB coach.

As far as Montana goes, I have heard two of his interviews on KNBR. My impression of him from his statements was that he really no longer closely follows pro football. The KNBR guys brought up a couple of things that were well known that the average football fan would know and Montana was not even aware of them.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe in Kap and Coach Harbaugh to get it done and win a Title together. Only been together for a few years now. Kap is not Montana and Harbaugh is not Walsh and it's too bad that everyone wants to compare them always. I hope they get the chance to prove themselves Champions here in SF.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Kap spends his offseason in Miami at a program apparently suggested by Boldin and Gore. It looks like they focus on performance for speed and weight lifting but not so much on throwing. He went last year with Patton, who obviously wasn't a big part of the offense this year. Hopefully Kap will work more on throwing as that is the bigger concern moving forward.
Colin Kaepernick to start offseason workouts on Monday at Gore/Boldin-suggested facility - Niners Nation

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap spends his offseason in Miami at a program apparently suggested by Boldin and Gore. It looks like they focus on performance for speed and weight lifting but not so much on throwing. He went last year with Patton, who obviously wasn't a big part of the offense this year. Hopefully Kap will work more on throwing as that is the bigger concern moving forward.
Colin Kaepernick to start offseason workouts on Monday at Gore/Boldin-suggested facility - Niners Nation

I would think the coaches would be more on top of this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

too bad they can't work on reading defenses, pre and post snap. Cause that is the larger problem, his field vision or whatever you want to call it.

But working on his passing can only help, so that is the next best thing. He doesn't need to be more 'physical', especially since he isn't running (Read Option or otherwise called runs) much.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question you brought up. I have not heard. I will say this. Great players do not necessarily make great teachers. They are two separate skills. I never played football, but this is universal and it is something I learned during my years of martial arts training. I also once read that backup QB's made the best coaches and/or teachers as they spent years watching and listening to coaches as opposed to always being on the field playing. I suspect Kaepernick would get as much out of a really good QB coach.

As far as Montana goes, I have heard two of his interviews on KNBR. My impression of him from his statements was that he really no longer closely follows pro football. The KNBR guys brought up a couple of things that were well known that the average football fan would know and Montana was not even aware of them.

P65, would you mind telling us what kind of training you did?