• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields QB Study

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cautiously optimistic about JF getting drafted and if Nagy can finally put an offense together now that he has the quarterback he wants. Fields slide doesn't concern me and if it does then look at Erin Rodgers and Randy Moss as two prime examples of talenting getting passed over.

Here are two videos by Kurt Warner analysing Justin's playing; decision making, accuracy, etc, etc.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully there won't be any comparisons to the last Buckeye QB taken in the first round. Fields is a first round talent. Haskins wasn't. Fields has maturity. Haskins didn't and it can be said he still isn't mature. And JF's skill set is a helluva lot better than DH's.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields's ability to read the defense and go through proper progression is my biggest concern with him. Which is the main reason why i lean towards Mac Jones. Being able to scramble is going to get you only so far in this league.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields's ability to read the defense and go through proper progression is my biggest concern with him. Which is the main reason why i lean towards Mac Jones. Being able to scramble is going to get you only so far in this league.

Fields didn't have half the weapons Jones had. Actually Jones kinda reminds me of Matt Leinart. A QB with weapons all over the place that was more a product of the players around him than his talent.

The facts that 2 Bama wr's were taken before Jones says something. If it was Jones that made those wr's he would have went before them.

But just like all rookie QB's Fields has a lot to learn and will make mistakes, all rookie QB's do that.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited that we have another legitimate shot at QB...but until I see him on a professional football field for a reasonable amount of time I'm not THAT excited. Let's not forget that 3 other teams took QB's above this guy. If he was a lock cinch a la Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck etc, he wouldn't have made it to 11. But hot damn I so want him to finally be the chosen one....Time will tell. Give us this one football gods...Please.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields didn't have half the weapons Jones had. Actually Jones kinda reminds me of Matt Leinart. A QB with weapons all over the place that was more a product of the players around him than his talent.

The facts that 2 Bama wr's were taken before Jones says something. If it was Jones that made those wr's he would have went before them.

But just like all rookie QB's Fields has a lot to learn and will make mistakes, all rookie QB's do that.

I'm not questioning Fields's productivity vs Jones's. I'm questioning Fields's decision making. And I'm not the only person questioning his ability to read defenses. Sure all rookies have a lot to learn but it appears Fields has more to learn than Jones at this point. Being able to sit in the pocket and read defenses is a requirement to be a great QB and right now it appears Fields isn't there (yet).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited that we have another legitimate shot at QB...but until I see him on a professional football field for a reasonable amount of time I'm not THAT excited. Let's not forget that 3 other teams took QB's above this guy. If he was a lock cinch a la Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck etc, he wouldn't have made it to 11. But hot damn I so want him to finally be the chosen one....Time will tell. Give us this one football gods...Please.
Ye shall be rewarded oh Jidded One. Seen numerous games of this kid in action during his tenure with the Buckeyes (Fuck, it's Ohio State, how can a shitload of their games NOT be shown on national TV ), and there is no doubt he has the goods to make it as a winning NFL QB. However, altho I would like to say that patience is the operative word here, I'm suspecting the fans and the local media are going to be relentless with their demands in the coming months for Fields to take the reins right out of the gate. I'd prefer that he gets eased into the job and hope that Nagy & Co. feel the same way.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not questioning Fields's productivity vs Jones's. I'm questioning Fields's decision making. And I'm not the only person questioning his ability to read defenses. Sure all rookies have a lot to learn but it appears Fields has more to learn than Jones at this point. Being able to sit in the pocket and read defenses is a requirement to be a great QB and right now it appears Fields isn't there (yet).

He does have things to work on. Hopefully he improves.

How many NFL draft picks did Jones play with compared to Fields? The more talent around a QB the better he'll look. That Bama offense was loaded with NFL players. Ohio State's not so much.

I think to start their careers JF's mobility will help him but MJ's lack of mobility could be an issue. But this is about Fields. We'll find find if he's worth that pick soon enough. You think he starts week one?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have things to work on. Hopefully he improves.

How many NFL draft picks did Jones play with compared to Fields? The more talent around a QB the better he'll look. That Bama offense was loaded with NFL players. Ohio State's not so much.

I think to start their careers JF's mobility will help him but MJ's lack of mobility could be an issue. But this is about Fields. We'll find find if he's worth that pick soon enough. You think he starts week one?
I've never been a fan of QBs who have that run-first mentality, that are more athlete than QB. But Fields is neither of those. Yes of course he's an extremely athletic QB, but his mentality and makeup is that of an accurate-armed, throw-first QB, who just so happens to also be blessed with some of the best wheels around. He's reminding me of a stronger and almost as fast Steve Young. This kid is going to bring a complete game to his resume. May take a bit to get his NFL legs under him, but this kid is the real McCoy.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it won;t take a whole hell of a lot to become the best QB in Bears history (see ya Sid)

Which is a bit strange, the Bears were there in day one, no franchise is older you'd think they would be better off when it comes to QB's. Actually, not all that at WR either.

Thinking little Johnny Morris might still hold Bears receiving records, he was there with Ditka.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessment and one reason I won't mind seeing Fields sit behind Dalton.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields can make the reads. The issue is he holds the ball too long looking for the big play. He has to learn to checkdown and give up on a play.

If you watch the tape and then watch tape of Aaron Rodgers either in college or his first couple NFL seasons it’s really similar. Just holding on waiting for a play down the field to develop. When Rodgers learned to checkdown, use hot reads, and find the quick throws he really took huge strides forward.

I don’t expect Fields to be Rodgers. That’s not the line I’m drawing. But the narrative that Fields can’t read a defense is wrong. That’s not the issue. It’s how he processes...not an inability to process.

My biggest concern off film is how he reacts versus the blitz. That needs to improve at the NFL level. The tape shows him struggling at times with rushers in his face.

The more games I watch of him playing the more impressed I’ve been. His ability to squeeze footballs in tight windows stands out huge. As does his ability to hit receivers in stride on throws. Throws a really catchable ball. A lot to like.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessment and one reason I won't mind seeing Fields sit behind Dalton.

Only from the begining....Im hoping he starts around week 4......
The only way for these guys to progress is to be playing....
I think sitting on the bench does nothing.....Learning on the field does in my belief.....

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only from the begining....Im hoping he starts around week 4......
The only way for these guys to progress is to be playing....
I think sitting on the bench does nothing.....Learning on the field does in my belief.....
I think every QB is different. However, I think a QB getting up to a year on the bench seeing how a starter operates in the nfl is good. I’m not a huge college football fan, but I’m pretty sure they don’t get the play calls through a headset in their helmets. Being able to listen to that through a few games, maybe a season, is good experience. Being able to see how the team operates from the sideline, the strengths and weaknesses of each player is great. Hopefully, DeFillipo (is he still out QB coach) can be next to him and mentoring him through the season with Dalton starting. I think a lot can be learned from the sidelines.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields can make the reads. The issue is he holds the ball too long looking for the big play. He has to learn to checkdown and give up on a play.

Look at the videos that were posted here from especially Kurt Warner. Checking down is the not the issue. He's making the wrong reads. Warner clearly explains in multiple clips how Fields should have thrown here but didn't. Fields does hold onto the ball but that can be from multiple different reasons. One being he can't read defenses well.

I don’t expect Fields to be Rodgers. That’s not the line I’m drawing. But the narrative that Fields can’t read a defense is wrong. That’s not the issue. It’s how he processes...not an inability to process.

Readings defenses and processing what he's reading is all under the same umbrella. He has to be decisive and understand what he's seeing. Not everything is clicking under that umbrella right now is the point. Will he get there? No one knows for sure. But Mac Jones is already there.

If you watch the tape and then watch tape of Aaron Rodgers either in college or his first couple NFL seasons it’s really similar.

Oh give me a break. Look at tape long enough you can find similarities between any QBs in the league. This means absolutely nothing.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the videos that were posted here from especially Kurt Warner. Checking down is the not the issue. He's making the wrong reads. Warner clearly explains in multiple clips how Fields should have thrown here but didn't. Fields does hold onto the ball but that can be from multiple different reasons. One being he can't read defenses well.

Ive watched them. I’ve watched full games of him playing over the past 5 days.

Not saying he always makes the right read. Because he doesn’t. But, to me, it’s not an inability to read coverage. I think he knows what he’s seeing. But he also looking for the bigger play and that leads to him ignoring what he reads. Which, honestly, could translate to an even bigger problem in the NFL. We already had a QB that trusted his arm too much and thought he could defeat coverage. And that never worked for Cutler.

The tape shows Fields can read the field though. It’s just a matter of what he does with what he’s looking at.
Readings defenses and processing what he's reading is all under the same umbrella. He has to be decisive and understand what he's seeing. Not everything is clicking under that umbrella right now is the point. Will he get there? No one knows for sure. But Mac Jones is already there

Mac Jones is a system QB and game manager that is gonna be a couple levels ahead of Chase Daniel in the NFL. Physically limited including his arm
Oh give me a break. Look at tape long enough you can find similarities between any QBs in the league. This means absolutely nothing.

Your reply means even less.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he knows what he’s seeing. But he also looking for the bigger play and that leads to him ignoring what he reads. Which, honestly, could translate to an even bigger problem in the NFL.

He definitely wants the bigger plays. But that is quite a leap from him ignoring what he reads and waiting for the bigger plays.

The tape shows Fields can read the field though. It’s just a matter of what he does with what he’s looking at.

No it does not. He has problems reading the field. There is a massive difference between Kurt Warner tapes for Fields and Jones. Jones moves safeties with slight gestures and with his eyes because he precisely knows what he wants to do based on coverage. He is miles ahead of Fields in this department.

Ive watched them. I’ve watched full games of him playing over the past 5 days.

I don't care. Means nothing.

Mac Jones is a system QB and game manager that is gonna be a couple levels ahead of Chase Daniel in the NFL. Physically limited including his arm

Bill Bellichick disagrees. He is a very smart QB, can read defenses, and is an animal when it comes to preparing. His arm strength is probably average but like your Fields to Rogers comparison, I too can play this dumb game and compare Tom Brady's arm to Jones's.

Your reply means even less.

You compare Fields to Rogers and then turn around and say "I don’t expect Fields to be Rodgers". That is the definition of saying nothing. You can find similarities with Fields and Cutler too. And that too would mean nothing.