• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields granted waiver

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has recently implemented transfer reforms, including loosening restrictions that could allow transfers to play immediately if in good academic standing and without objection from their previous school.

You put the answer to it right there. It's terrible IMO.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad that Fields got the waiver, but I will say that Jacob Eason got screwed.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put the answer to it right there. It's terrible IMO.

And I can certainly appreciate not agreeing with it. I see both sides of the coin and obviously the QB position is going to be most affected as we saw this past month or so.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad that Fields got the waiver, but I will say that Jacob Eason got screwed.

Free Agency isn't going to be good in the long run. It's just another way the haves and have nots gap will get bigger because it's really just another form of recruiting.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I can certainly appreciate not agreeing with it. I see both sides of the coin and obviously the QB position is going to be most affected as we saw this past month or so.

Well the whole RS freshman rules have ended up making things worse as well with people now leaving after a few games to keep an extra playing year.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the whole RS freshman rules have ended up making things worse as well with people now leaving after a few games to keep an extra playing year.

Definitely going to be some unintended consequences with that one. But all in all I think it's good for teams to get kids experience without losing their season.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top programs aren't many any money off these kids, and if you don't understand that you're a dumbass - not that it's a surprise.

It doesn't matter how those contracts are completed, the point is they are. When you show me coaches who are just leaving contracts for other opportunities without them doing whatever is needed to complete the contract. If schools want to start putting it in their contracts that the coach must sit out for a year if they leave, they can do that. I have signed many NDA's and NCA's.

Furthermore, it doesn't even fucking matter what the coaches do, it's THEIR CONTRACT. Other peoples contracts have never and will never entitle you or anyone else to a damn thing. If they think they are getting screwed, then they can sit at home making all that money you ignorantly seem to think they are worth, and they can use that money to pay for their own coaching, their own education, their own PR and everything else they get that ignorant fucks like you seem to think comes for free.

Saban btw can leave Alabama at anytime he wants. He has absolutely no buyout.

Now programs aren’t making any money off these kids? So it is free to go to watch Alabama play football in their stadium? If you wanted a Tua Jersey, they hand them out for free? The kids are obviously paying for all their own equipment and the university isn’t being paid 10’s of million a year by these companies. I’m sure the university is also airing their games for free and they don’t get a dime for going to bowl games.

Here is an article from dumbass Forbes — the top 25 teams combined cleared 1.1 billion AFTER EXPENSES over a 3 year period. Now if the athletic depts want to use that money to fund other programs who don’t make money — it is still money being made off the players currently on the team.

College Football's Most Valuable Teams 2018

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone could have a weaker case than Field's since his case is 100% bullshit.

Hey, we agree on something. He can’t beat out Fromm, and now he wants to transfer because of racial tension, but his sister is fine with Georgia:lol:

They need to just remove the one year wait rule and open the flood gates.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps but would he have started over Browning anyway?

Not sure but he has ten times the talent and UW would’ve been a playoff team if they had even an above average QB.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps but would he have started over Browning anyway?

Not sure.

But he had a full season of starting experience, lost his job due to injury and transferred back home, but he had to sit out last season and didn't have the chance to win the job.

I'm glad Fields got the waiver, but Eason should have too IMO.

If there's one good thing about 2019, there isn't another 5 star QB that Fromm can run off.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now programs aren’t making any money off these kids? So it is free to go to watch Alabama play football in their stadium? If you wanted a Tua Jersey, they hand them out for free? The kids are obviously paying for all their own equipment and the university isn’t being paid 10’s of million a year by these companies. I’m sure the university is also airing their games for free and they don’t get a dime for going to bowl games.

Here is an article from dumbass Forbes — the top 25 teams combined cleared 1.1 billion AFTER EXPENSES over a 3 year period. Now if the athletic depts want to use that money to fund other programs who don’t make money — it is still money being made off the players currently on the team.

College Football's Most Valuable Teams 2018

The programs make that money because they have built a brand and sport over the past 100+ years. Without those uniforms, those kids are worthless.

Period, deal with it. If people just want to watch the best, the NFL is there for that, of which only 1% of college football players make it too.

Last edited:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, we agree on something. He can’t beat out Fromm, and now he wants to transfer because of racial tension, but his sister is fine with Georgia:lol:

They need to just remove the one year wait rule and open the flood gates.

Right now the NCAA has a policy to placate the players. They are happy to let them transfer and appear to be pro-player, as long as, the nobody mentions paying them

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is hardly some groundbreaking waiver decision. Just last year OSU had two players transfer because they were buried on the depth chart that were given waivers for no reason whatsoever. Check out Antonio Williams (UNC) and Jack Wohlabaugh (Duke). There's no real reason even given for their waiver requests, but they got them. Fields at least has a reasonable case.

My opinion is mixed on the waiver issue altogether. My previous post was more in line with how I feel about the NCAA and its lack of backbone on pretty much anything nowadays.

As for the actual transfer waivers, I don't know. Part of me thinks that players should be treated as any other student (since they are students first) and if they want to pull out and take their chances elsewhere... let em, it is their life and their money; no restrictions. However I do think colleges/universities would change up the fine lines in their scholarship contracts to combat the issues that would arise with that as THAT would be THEIR money and to that I would say is fair game as well.

The other part of me thinks that restrictions are necessary as transfers has gotten out of control with this 'lose the job, leave the school' mentality. It is ridiculous, kids these days feel so entitled its sickening.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The programs make that money because they have built a brand and sport over the past 100+ years. Without those uniforms, those kids are worthless.

Period, deal with it. If people just want to watch the best, the NFL is there for that, of which only 1% of college football players make it too.

Wait a minute — didn’t you just say schools don’t make any money? Now they make money, but it is their brand which makes the school money?

If that’s the case — why do schools spend millions on recruiting? Why do they spend 10’s if millions on state of the art facilities? Why do they spend millions on a coaching staff? Since the players aren’t making the school money, why does it matter who plays for them?

This is another battle like the ‘50/50 ball’ the Bama CB has zero percent chance at defending.

CFB is big business. They use the likeness of these kids to sell jerseys, sell tickets, tv deals, bowl games, etc. They use what they make off these kids to fund athletic dept and programs who lose the school money.

It is laughable to hear a fan who, if I’m not mistaken, I believe you said you couldn’t afford to go to a Bama game growing up — say the school doesn’t make money off their football programs. THAT is making money off the players. If they weren’t, you’d get in for free.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a neat little formal FOR/AGAINST debate on the paying of college athletes, it is long however...

And no, college athletes shouldn't be paid in my opinion...:2cents:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute — didn’t you just say schools don’t make any money?

No, I said the kids aren't the reasons for the money the schools make. Take off their jerseys and they have no value. Take the same jerseys and throw them on anyone else, put them on the field - same basic value, relative to other teams.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I said the kids aren't the reasons for the money the schools make. Take off their jerseys and they have no value. Take the same jerseys and throw them on anyone else, put them on the field - same basic value, relative to other teams.

Oh, so that’s why schools spend millions of dollars on recruiting — because it doesn’t matter who wears the jersey.

I’m sure Bama fans line up out the door to purchase Alabama jerseys without a number on it, because fans don’t care who is wearing it.

After the last couple discussions you’ve been apart of — I’m starting to think you’ve taken to drinking daily to numb the loss in the NC game. Only way you can continue with these nonsense arguments.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so that’s why schools spend millions of dollars on recruiting — because it doesn’t matter who wears the jersey.

I’m sure Bama fans line up out the door to purchase Alabama jerseys without a number on it, because fans don’t care who is wearing it.

After the last couple discussions you’ve been apart of — I’m starting to think you’ve taken to drinking daily to numb the loss in the NC game. Only way you can continue with these nonsense arguments.

I don't drink, so you need a new theory.

Talent is relative. Teams want to have the best talent among the other teams they are competing with, but you can take the top1000 or whatever played in recruiting, remove them from college football and college football isn't going to miss a beat.

But hey, you continue to believe that I'm just an alcoholic and the reason why their aren't multiple successful leagues looking to pay these kids millions of dollars while college football just takes advantage of them is - well I don't know what fucking reason you have for thinking it, probably too much Michigan water.

Maybe the XFL will be the first league that works out. But I'll bet you pretty good money that while they may take a few of the top college talent, they'll mostly be interested in taking the guys on NFL practice squads and such first. Just like all the others.

Why aren't all these college guys going to the CFL or NFL? Why doesn't the NFL want them if they are worth so much?

Because they aren't.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't drink, so you need a new theory.

Talent is relative. Teams want to have the best talent among the other teams they are competing with, but you can take the top1000 or whatever played in recruiting, remove them from college football and college football isn't going to miss a beat.

But hey, you continue to believe that I'm just an alcoholic and the reason why their aren't multiple successful leagues looking to pay these kids millions of dollars while college football just takes advantage of them is - well I don't know what fucking reason you have for thinking it, probably too much Michigan water.

Maybe the XFL will be the first league that works out. But I'll bet you pretty good money that while they may take a few of the top college talent, they'll mostly be interested in taking the guys on NFL practice squads and such first. Just like all the others.

Why aren't all these college guys going to the CFL or NFL? Why doesn't the NFL want them if they are worth so much?

Because they aren't.

So why isn’t it free admission to these games that hold 100,000 fans? Since they aren’t looking to make any money off the kids?

And when they sell jersey’s — why do they put a number on it? Since fans don’t care who is wearing the jersey.

You’d think schools would save millions of dollars they spend on recruiting, since it doesn’t matter who is wearing the jersey.

I’m sure Bama will be removing Saban next year to save themselves 10 million a year, as the coach doesn’t matter because fans are coming to watch a brand so the quality of the product is irrelevant.