• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just watched 30for30 on the tuck rule

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Man this show was great. They had Tom Brady & Charles Woodson watching it on Tom's couch. They cracked me up through the whole thing.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Man this show was great. They had Tom Brady & Charles Woodson watching it on Tom's couch. They cracked me up through the whole thing.
I saw a part of that. I'm not a Pats or a Brady hater, but damn it to fuck that was a fumble by Brady on a strip-sack by Woodson.

PackJason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a part of that. I'm not a Pats or a Brady hater, but damn it to fuck that was a fumble by Brady on a strip-sack by Woodson.

John C Reilly Yes GIF

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. It was a fumble, but last time Woodson was interviewing Brady (years ago) boy that question was an awkward silence.
It was cool to see them be able to joke & have fun with it now even though I dont think Woodson will ever let it go LOL.
They had me laughing though through the whole show.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. It was a fumble, but last time Woodson was interviewing Brady (years ago) boy that question was an awkward silence.
It was cool to see them be able to joke & have fun with it now even though I dont think Woodson will ever let it go LOL.
Yeah, Woodson's never gonna let it go and regardless what anyone says to Brady about it. He can just shrug his shoulders n smile. But yea, its cool to see em joke about it. And Pats fans can always fall back on that terrible call against Sugar Bear Hamilton back in the 76 playoffs. That was as huge a break for Oakland as the tuck rule was for the Pats. That cost the Pats what I think would've been a legit shot at winning a SB title that year.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching that game in the owners' lounge at the ski hotel (large room with a TV and couches, actually) when that play happened, initially ruled a fumble and a recovery by Oakland. This was in Maine, so it was a New England crowd. A few people got up to leave, thinking the game was over. "Sit down," I said. "They're going to rule his arm was moving forward. Incomplete pass, Patriots ball."

The looked at me kind of funny, but took their seats.

I still remember thinking at the time, the NFL hates the Raiders. Questionable calls always go against them. And so it was.

After the game, they walked out and looked at me with a different kind of funny.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching that game in the owners' lounge at the ski hotel (large room with a TV and couches, actually) when that play happened, initially ruled a fumble and a recovery by Oakland. This was in Maine, so it was a New England crowd. A few people got up to leave, thinking the game was over. "Sit down," I said. "They're going to rule his arm was moving forward. Incomplete pass, Patriots ball."

I still remember thinking at the time, the NFL hates the Raiders. Questionable calls always go against them. And so it was.

After the game, they walked out and looked at me with a different kind of funny.
Probably 'cuz yer fly was unzipped and they could see yer lil' acorn-pecker

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well that wouldnt surprise me.
Al Davis would poke the bear all the time. When Jerry & other owners did it they would go into their salesperson mode. When Al Davis did it. He would smile at the NFL.

Hell the only one to get busted in the redskins investigation for sexual harassments was the Raiders head coach LOL (not for sexual harassment)

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The snow bowl ! One of the funnest games I’ve ever watched … Still can’t believe Adam Vinatieri stuck that game tying field goal in a snowy Fog bank … Hard to believe that was 20 years ago … @@$@@ me

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logically, it was absolutely a fumble. I get why they made the rule the way it was set at that time. I think they wanted to avoid controversy over officials having to make judgement calls over "was he tucking it or throwing it?". So, they just declared that "any forward motion what so ever" is a pass attempt.

They thought it would make it more black/white. It really wound up hurting them, though. lol

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly still couldn't tell you if that was a tuck or a fumble... Glad it went the Patriots way for sure but I can see why everyone else said fumble

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly still couldn't tell you if that was a tuck or a fumble... Glad it went the Patriots way for sure but I can see why everyone else said fumble
It was a fumble, and there should be no TUCK rule.

If a player losses a ball without being down by contact, it's either an incomplete pass or a fumble

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a fumble, and there should be no TUCK rule.

If a player losses a ball without being down by contact, it's either an incomplete pass or a fumble

To be fair they didn't just make up the Tuck Rule for that game

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair they didn't just make up the Tuck Rule for that game
I get it, but it should be either an incomplete pass if the hand is going forward or an fumble if the QB losses the ball after changing his mind on passing it. Maybe I could see intentional grounding. To me the tuck rule is based on the premise the QB decided to hold onto the ball, but he losses controll of the ball while still in live play. That is in dact a fumble.

I'm not saying we need to change history and give that game to the Raiders, I'm just saying the tuck rule is dumb as fuck.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, but it should be either an incomplete pass if the hand is going forward or an fumble if the QB losses the ball after changing his mind on passing it. Maybe I could see intentional grounding. To me the tuck rule is based on the premise the QB decided to hold onto the ball, but he losses controll of the ball while still in live play. That is in dact a fumble.

I'm not saying we need to change history and give that game to the Raiders, I'm just saying the tuck rule is dumb as fuck.

Yes it dumb as fuck but no one ever accused the NFL of being smart

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a tuck / incomplete pass, the issue isn't the call the call was correct, the issue is the damn rule. The NFL has a tendency to write rules vaguely in an effort to put all the reprehensibility on the refs. Higher a team of technical writers and make the rules clear and precise

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a tuck / incomplete pass, the issue isn't the call the call was correct, the issue is the damn rule. The NFL has a tendency to write rules vaguely in an effort to put all the reprehensibility on the refs. Higher a team of technical writers and make the rules clear and precise
well if you listened to the ref in question.
you would be correct, but I argue the ambiguous rule was interpreted wrong so he can save face (talking of his explanation of rule)
He was saying you have to tuck the ball all the way back into your body. His example was showing like a RB tucking the ball to run! :eek:
The way that guy who just dont want to be wrong, explained the rule. All a QB has to do is fake pump as soon as he got the ball & keep the ball out like he is preparing to pass & he would never be able to fumble (as long as he doesnt tuck it all the way back in) Stupidest explanation ever.

The ball was coming back in towards the body when he got hit. One could also argue his other hand touched the ball before being dislodged, but that is a bang bang thing. It was definitely a fumble. Ref fucked that one up. If I am the Pats or pats fans however, I am saying oh well, we win we win!!! :heh:

Which basically what Brady ended with. He knew he fumbled, just kept saying he doesnt make the call (or rule)

Bottomline for me though. 1st time Woodson interviewed Brady & asked the question was very tense. At least now they both had fun joked around with one another over the whole thing. I actually enjoyed watching that show.