• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just Sayin'

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the whole point about scheduling. Alabama won't play any decent G5 teams. Can't give any of those middling teams any money. We'll schedule UTmartin instead.

USF has been good in the past. It's possible they will be good again by the time Alabama plays them.

Besides, Alabama is playing quality opponents on its upcoming OOC schedules: USC, Miami, Texas, Wisconsin, Florida State, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech...

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they would have been worthy also, but I am extremely biased. Would Memphis have won the Big12? Probably not. Would they have had a chance in the Pac12? Maybe, but probably not.

My point is what are the G5 teams playing for? Mot much. I like that the Tigers are going to the Cotton Bowl and have a chance to play against Penn St.
From what I understand, a big chunk of change from the P5s to keep them appeased. While it is more complicated than that, the G5s have become very dependent on those funds and are not willing to give them up. @WizardHawk has explained it pretty well in the past.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, a big chunk of change from the P5s to keep them appeased. While it is more complicated than that, the G5s have become very dependent on those funds and are not willing to give them up. @WizardHawk has explained it pretty well in the past.

Yes, exactly. Someone finally got the point. The G5 is playing only for the money from television and the scraps the P5 are willing to give them. The P5 only wants to give up as little as they possibly can. Why should Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Wake Forest and any other number of teams in the same boat give up their spots in the P5? They are clearly not deserving of P5 football money, but they still get it.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USF has been good in the past. It's possible they will be good again by the time Alabama plays them.

Besides, Alabama is playing quality opponents on its upcoming OOC schedules: USC, Miami, Texas, Wisconsin, Florida State, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech...

What kind of argument is that. Sure, they're quality, but no G5.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More or less. The P5's keep their elite status and the G5's get paid to keep their programs afloat.

I know you are aware, but for those reading who aren't, it's not the paydays they get for playing P5's in the regular season. It's about the CFP and their inclusion in the bowl payout formula.
CFP Revenue Distribution Policies
They give a flat pool of 90 million to the G5's to distribute as they see fit. That doesn't include whatever money they bring in for making a NY6 bowl which adds more for that conference.

While the CFP system doesn't leave any type of easy road, or even likely road for a G5 to ever reach the playoffs, it keeps the schools going.

It's not impossible for a G5 to reach the playoffs, but it would take the perfect storm.

The CFP is ran by the conferences. There are 11 directors which are one president (or similar) from all 10 conferences plus ND and the managers are the 10 conf commissioners plus ND's AD.

So the G5's have seats at the table for all discussions, but including ND separately makes it a 6-5 split on representatives at both levels.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, exactly. Someone finally got the point. The G5 is playing only for the money from television and the scraps the P5 are willing to give them. The P5 only wants to give up as little as they possibly can. Why should Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Wake Forest and any other number of teams in the same boat give up their spots in the P5? They are clearly not deserving of P5 football money, but they still get it.
With the exception of Rutgers, most of those types are "old country club" money and will remain country club members as long as the true P5 revenue generators want and allow them to have a spot at the P5 big boy table. Hell, they'll take even more undeserving teams like Rutgers as long as they can bring an increase in revenue with them. Not one current G5 teams really deliver that in the form of a national attraction or the Big 12 would have already taken them. Well, except for BYU but that's another story.

FBS is all about the benjamins now. They've painted themselves into a money corner and only the true big dogs can get out of it on their own...and we all know who those few are.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of argument is that. Sure, they're quality, but no G5.

Alabama's OOC is vastly superior to Memphis'. Claiming that they are scared makes you look like a buffoon.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More or less. The P5's keep their elite status and the G5's get paid to keep their programs afloat.

I know you are aware, but for those reading who aren't, it's not the paydays they get for playing P5's in the regular season. It's about the CFP and their inclusion in the bowl payout formula.
CFP Revenue Distribution Policies
They give a flat pool of 90 million to the G5's to distribute as they see fit. That doesn't include whatever money they bring in for making a NY6 bowl which adds more for that conference.

While the CFP system doesn't leave any type of easy road, or even likely road for a G5 to ever reach the playoffs, it keeps the schools going.

It's not impossible for a G5 to reach the playoffs, but it would take the perfect storm.

The CFP is ran by the conferences. There are 11 directors which are one president (or similar) from all 10 conferences plus ND and the managers are the 10 conf commissioners plus ND's AD.

So the G5's have seats at the table for all discussions, but including ND separately makes it a 6-5 split on representatives at both levels.
Wasn't another point of contention the lower P5s concern of losing recruits to G5s if they had their own playoffs?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the exception of Rutgers, most of those types are "old country club" money and will remain country club members as long as the true P5 revenue generators want and allow them to have a spot at the P5 big boy table. Hell, they'll take even more undeserving teams like Rutgers as long as they can bring an increase in revenue with them. Not one current G5 teams really deliver that in the form of a national attraction or the Big 12 would have already taken them. Well, except for BYU but that's another story.

FBS is all about the benjamins now. They've painted themselves into a money corner and only the true big dogs can get out of it on their own...and we all know who those few are.
Rutgers founded the Country Club! Member #1.

Plus, people get hung up on one sport, while every school in the G5 Conferences contribute in one way or another. Doesn't have to be football, but can be basketball, baseball, track, wrestling, cross country, etc.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the whole point about scheduling. Alabama won't play any decent G5 teams. Can't give any of those middling teams any money. We'll schedule UTmartin instead.
Yes, Alabama is scared to play against decent G5 teams.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers founded the Country Club! Member #1.

Plus, people get hung up on one sport, while every school in the G5 Conferences contribute in one way or another. Doesn't have to be football, but can be basketball, baseball, track, wrestling, cross country, etc.
Yeah, but they were kicked to the Municipal Course for a while....until the B1G decided the money potential was worth having a zit on their face.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't another point of contention the lower P5s concern of losing recruits to G5s if they had their own playoffs?
I think there were a number of reasons the CFP settled this way. The P5's in general wanted to keep what little legitimacy there is in scheduling G5's by keeping them at their same level on paper as well.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a little too new to be swinging your junk around here starting all these threads.

How's about you just lurk for a while?
When I first joined, I was barred from making any threads until I hit 50 posts. Just saying.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a yearly thread really. Every year whatever the top ranked G5 team is, their fans come here and complain about the system and why the man is keeping them down.

Every

Single

Year

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Alabama has played Memphis 8 times including 3 games @ Memphis in 1985, 1987 and 1991 (last meeting).

Basically, Alabama currently plays 2 G5 Teams EVERY year. Sometimes, the teams are good. Sometimes, not so much.

This year, they played Southern Miss (7-5) (Bowl team from C-USA) along with New Mexico State (2-10) (Independent).

Next year, they play Georgia State (7-5) (Bowl Team from Sun Belt) and Kent State (6-6) (Bowl Team from MAC) from the G5.

Clearly, I don't think Alabama has an issue playing Memphis (historically) or other G5 Teams (present day).

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Alabama has played Memphis 8 times including 3 games @ Memphis in 1985, 1987 and 1991 (last meeting).

Basically, Alabama currently plays 2 G5 Teams EVERY year. Sometimes, the teams are good. Sometimes, not so much.

This year, they played Southern Miss (7-5) (Bowl team from C-USA) along with New Mexico State (2-10) (Independent).

Next year, they play Georgia State (7-5) (Bowl Team from Sun Belt) and Kent State (6-6) (Bowl Team from MAC) from the G5.

Clearly, I don't think Alabama has an issue playing Memphis (historically) or other G5 Teams (present day).
Yeah, I don't count 'bowl team' as necessarily being 'good'. Not at Bama's level. Hell, scheduling most P5 teams wouldn't be against 'good' teams from that level.

If they aren't at least a top 25 team bama should be expected to be able to play the waterboys and still win easily. I'm not saying that to insult anyone. G5's, even their upper level ones, just aren't a match for the top 5 teams. Doesn't mean one couldn't jump up and beat one at some point. Doesn't mean one couldn't find magic and make a championship game, but it would be the super exception.

There's just way too much disparity at recruiting.

I'd love for it to be split up, but it's not going to happen. In a perfect world the two would have their own governing bodies and champions. P5's would be expected to play no more than one G5 a year. There's enough bottom feeder P5's to still have your cupcakes, but against teams in conferences where they are expected to play big boy programs, not teams doing it for quick cash like cheap hookers.

Everyone is making way too much money on the current system to change it. At least until ESPN goes tits up and some of that crazy money goes away.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't count 'bowl team' as necessarily being 'good'. Not at Bama's level. Hell, scheduling most P5 teams wouldn't be against 'good' teams from that level.

If they aren't at least a top 25 team bama should be expected to be able to play the waterboys and still win easily. I'm not saying that to insult anyone. G5's, even their upper level ones, just aren't a match for the top 5 teams. Doesn't mean one couldn't jump up and beat one at some point. Doesn't mean one couldn't find magic and make a championship game, but it would be the super exception.

There's just way too much disparity at recruiting.

I'd love for it to be split up, but it's not going to happen. In a perfect world the two would have their own governing bodies and champions. P5's would be expected to play no more than one G5 a year. There's enough bottom feeder P5's to still have your cupcakes, but against teams in conferences where they are expected to play big boy programs, not teams doing it for quick cash like cheap hookers.

Everyone is making way too much money on the current system to change it. At least until ESPN goes tits up and some of that crazy money goes away.
I forgot the / sarcasm at the end of the post.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis was robbed of a chance to go undefeated at Temple by a very controversial call. Would there be any clamor to include them in the CFP had they won the game at Temple and were 13-0?

I think there would have been clamor, but no real argument to include them.

My point is this: No matter how good a G5 team is, they will never be included in the CFP.

They should change college football D-1 to three tiers and let the teams in G5 play for a championship.

Thoughts?

Agree 100% on that last part as a fan. I’d love it personally because it doesn’t matter, a G5 team will never get into the P5 playoff, no how no way, guarantee that but IMO its going to take a different kind of governing body over CFB to ever make that last part happen which IMO we would all enjoy assuming you mean P5 champ/G5 champ/FCS champ.

At the end of the day it would take someone (meaning media) to offer enough money to get the G5 off of some of the P5 cash tit. I think most would agree that P5 should be playing P5 and G5 should be playing G5 all year anyway.

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not teams doing it for quick cash like cheap hookers.
giphy.gif

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day it would take someone (meaning media) to offer enough money to get the G5 off of some of the P5 cash tit. I think most would agree that P5 should be playing P5 and G5 should be playing G5 all year anyway.
I agree 100%...but I can't see anyone offering the kind of money that wouldn't be a significant reduction from what the G5 are getting now. The demand to see those G5s play each other just isn't there. But I think that demand would be better than what it is for some of these shitty bowl games involving G5s right now.

And let's be honest here, there are quite a few P5s that don't draw the eyeballs either...and they are also feasting on the P5 cash tit that is generated by the P5s that are big draws. Those big draws are willing to share the milk from their tits in order to have some cannon fodder.