• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Junior

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So watching the documentary and still irritates me with sticking with his story he wanted out of Seattle because of his family. I don’t know if the documentary meant to but it did him wrong with that aspect.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So watching the documentary and still irritates me with sticking with his story he wanted out of Seattle because of his family. I don’t know if the documentary meant to but it did him wrong with that aspect.

That was bs by his agent. He hated Safeco and thought his shots would die at the warning track. Same with that bs of him working with management on the trade. He nixed other deals because certain teams hurt his feelings so he then came out and said I will only go to Cincy. Just turns out we ended up on the better end of the deal. I loved his talent, but he was an arrogant blah blah blah. A lot of similarities between him and Jordan if you watched The Last Dance.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was bs by his agent. He hated Safeco and thought his shots would die at the warning track. Same with that bs of him working with management on the trade. He nixed other deals because certain teams hurt his feelings so he then came out and said I will only go to Cincy. Just turns out we ended up on the better end of the deal. I loved his talent, but he was an arrogant blah blah blah. A lot of similarities between him and Jordan if you watched The Last Dance.

I loved this documentary but 99% sure of the reason he left Seattle wasn’t because of family or Safeco, IMO was because the Mariners were negotiating with ARod at the same time and were offering him more money. They reportedly offered ARod around $18 million and he was offered $17.

My main point was IMO the documentary did him wrong in pointing out that family meant everything to him but on the same note made it know his wife and kids lived in Florida (even though his wife and her family were from Washington) but he accepts a trade to Cincinnati where there isn’t an airline hub like there is in Seattle nor was it close to Florida. I know it will get glossed over but living in Cincinnati he still missed out on everything for his kids. He had his mom and dad’s side in Cincinnati as well as his dad was on the staff. Saying you want to play for your hometown team isn’t bad or makes you less of a man or whatever. I just don’t get why he won’t just admit that.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know what could have happened had he stayed. I tend to buy the fact that he hated Safeco as well. Its rough to think about when I allow myself to go down that road so I mainly choose to keep my head in the clouds and just remember the good times. This franchise has kicked me in the groin enough.

But yeah its very possible that things play out similar and he just has very injury plagued back half of his career and the franchises success doesnt change that much.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main point was IMO the documentary did him wrong in pointing out that family meant everything to him but on the same note made it know his wife and kids lived in Florida (even though his wife and her family were from Washington) but he accepts a trade to Cincinnati where there isn’t an airline hub like there is in Seattle nor was it close to Florida. I know it will get glossed over but living in Cincinnati he still missed out on everything for his kids. He had his mom and dad’s side in Cincinnati as well as his dad was on the staff. Saying you want to play for your hometown team isn’t bad or makes you less of a man or whatever. I just don’t get why he won’t just admit that.

He wanted Cinci because he was God there because of his dad. He wasn't born there, but was always considered a son of Cinci and he LOVED the attention. Training in Florida as the big reason never made sense because that is so limited in time before the season starts.

I loved this documentary but 99% sure of the reason he left Seattle wasn’t because of family or Safeco, IMO was because the Mariners were negotiating with ARod at the same time and were offering him more money. They reportedly offered ARod around $18 million and he was offered $17.

He took less to stay in Seattle and I don't think money ever drove him. He signed right away after being drafted because he just wanted to play. While he had a huge ego, I don't think money played a part.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah its very possible that things play out similar and he just has very injury plagued back half of his career and the franchises success doesnt change that much.

I agree 100% and actually think we never have the "Magical 2001" season w/o the trade...though we still hit a dud in the end of that season for reasons out of their control (9/11).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article about him and Safeco:

Later that month the Mariners opened Safeco Field, a resplendent
$517 million stadium with a sliding canopy that keeps out the
Northwest rain but not the chill. Between one wall of the
Mariners' clubhouse and Griffey's locker the club did not install
the three other lockers that would have fit there. This area was
designed specifically for Griffey, who in that space could store
his personal travel trunk for his bats, as well as the assortment
of gadgets, boxes and other equipment he accumulates during a
season.

Griffey showed his appreciation for this custom-made jewel of a
park by saying nothing. The franchise player who made the team's
continued existence in Seattle possible refused to comment on
Safeco Field. He would explain later that he did so to avoid
misleading people about his future. If he praised the place,
people might think he was staying. If he ripped it, people might
think he was leaving. But the silence was ominous. His private
grumblings were worse. The ball had jumped in the Kingdome, his
old, indoor home stadium. Safeco was, in the words of one of his
teammates before the final price was toted up, "a $450 million
icebox. He knows it might cost him the home run record." Balls
hit in the air died. Centerfield, in particular, was a graveyard;
the Mariners couldn't hit balls out even in batting practice.

One night, after yet another of his well-struck fly balls had
died in an opposing outfielder's glove, Griffey called Woody
Woodward, the Seattle general manager at the time, from a dugout
telephone. In front of his teammates Griffey screamed through the
phone at Woodward, "Get me out of this place! Trade me right
now!"

"That wasn't why he left," Goldberg said last Friday, referring
to Safeco Field. "It was one piece in the puzzle. There was no
one thing, no one event. I want to emphasize [that] what happened
was not anyone's fault. Things just kind of went sideways."

https://vault.si.com/vault/2000/02/...iffey-jr-back-to-cincinnati-at-a-bargain-rate

Good read with a mention of why he got mad at Atlanta and refused to go there and a mention that money wasn't the issue.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wanted Cinci because he was God there because of his dad. He wasn't born there, but was always considered a son of Cinci and he LOVED the attention. Training in Florida as the big reason never made sense because that is so limited in time before the season starts.

He took less to stay in Seattle and I don't think money ever drove him. He signed right away after being drafted because he just wanted to play. While he had a huge ego, I don't think money played a part.

I get all the Cincinnati stuff and am not mad but in the documentary his agent talked about how miserable he was in Seattle because his immediate family lived in Orlando (I think it was, somewhere in Florida) they pushed that narrative hard then completely glossed over he was dealt to Cincinnati where his wife and kids didn’t live.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I’m not saying he had a huge ego but he was the staple of the organization and I firmly feel them offering ARod more had an effect. Plus they just did Randy wrong as well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know what could have happened had he stayed. I tend to buy the fact that he hated Safeco as well. Its rough to think about when I allow myself to go down that road so I mainly choose to keep my head in the clouds and just remember the good times. This franchise has kicked me in the groin enough.

I can’t fathom he would’ve hated Safeco since it was strictly built for him and Edgar with the short porch in right and the deep gap on RCF. He played fine there in his one season in his prime and played great when he came back as Red and played well as an over the hill player in his one real comeback year.

Maybe he would’ve had the injuries but had he stayed a Mariner then his injuries would’ve been cut in half because he could’ve DH since Edgar was really done as an everyday DH halfway through 2003. I firmly believe he is number 2 on the career HR list had he stayed. Plus, had he stay Trey would’ve been a Coug instead of a Wildcat.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article about him and Safeco:

Later that month the Mariners opened Safeco Field, a resplendent
$517 million stadium with a sliding canopy that keeps out the
Northwest rain but not the chill. Between one wall of the
Mariners' clubhouse and Griffey's locker the club did not install
the three other lockers that would have fit there. This area was
designed specifically for Griffey, who in that space could store
his personal travel trunk for his bats, as well as the assortment
of gadgets, boxes and other equipment he accumulates during a
season.

Griffey showed his appreciation for this custom-made jewel of a
park by saying nothing. The franchise player who made the team's
continued existence in Seattle possible refused to comment on
Safeco Field. He would explain later that he did so to avoid
misleading people about his future. If he praised the place,
people might think he was staying. If he ripped it, people might
think he was leaving. But the silence was ominous. His private
grumblings were worse. The ball had jumped in the Kingdome, his
old, indoor home stadium. Safeco was, in the words of one of his
teammates before the final price was toted up, "a $450 million
icebox. He knows it might cost him the home run record." Balls
hit in the air died. Centerfield, in particular, was a graveyard;
the Mariners couldn't hit balls out even in batting practice.

One night, after yet another of his well-struck fly balls had
died in an opposing outfielder's glove, Griffey called Woody
Woodward, the Seattle general manager at the time, from a dugout
telephone. In front of his teammates Griffey screamed through the
phone at Woodward, "Get me out of this place! Trade me right
now!"

"That wasn't why he left," Goldberg said last Friday, referring
to Safeco Field. "It was one piece in the puzzle. There was no
one thing, no one event. I want to emphasize [that] what happened
was not anyone's fault. Things just kind of went sideways."

https://vault.si.com/vault/2000/02/...iffey-jr-back-to-cincinnati-at-a-bargain-rate

Good read with a mention of why he got mad at Atlanta and refused to go there and a mention that money wasn't the issue.

All that being said, in his documentary though either he and his agent lied about that article you posted or in the documentary. If he was truthful in the doc then he just got miserable and didn’t play up to his ability because he was emotionally drained missing out on his family. Which goes to the doc did him wrong with that little 2 minute clip which I’m sure no one else would pick up on besides Mariners fans.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% and actually think we never have the "Magical 2001" season w/o the trade...though we still hit a dud in the end of that season for reasons out of their control (9/11).

But why? You’d rather have Cameron over Junior? It’s not like Tomko did anything for the squad. Completely agree with Randy 2001 doesn’t happen but had they kept Junior and ARod, I think they have at least 1 WS title and probably 2 with 2002 as well before the team fell off a cliff because of age. I feel so much would’ve been different in 2000 and 2001 had he stayed. Garcia and Guillen wouldn’t have become party animals and Jay would’ve taken rehab more seriously instead of full of anger. Jay in LF IMO would’ve made a difference in 01. But to be fair, I am still really hot about the 2001 team post terrorist attacks.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t fathom he would’ve hated Safeco since it was strictly built for him and Edgar with the short porch in right and the deep gap on RCF. He played fine there in his one season in his prime and played great when he came back as Red and played well as an over the hill player in his one real comeback year.

Maybe he would’ve had the injuries but had he stayed a Mariner then his injuries would’ve been cut in half because he could’ve DH since Edgar was really done as an everyday DH halfway through 2003. I firmly believe he is number 2 on the career HR list had he stayed. Plus, had he stay Trey would’ve been a Coug instead of a Wildcat.

They certainly probably intended to mold it to his liking but I still dont think he enjoyed. You cant account for the whole Marine Layer thing. I do remember sometime in those two months he played there, he hit a ball on the screws that died short of a homer and he was vocally upset about it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all the Cincinnati stuff and am not mad but in the documentary his agent talked about how miserable he was in Seattle because his immediate family lived in Orlando (I think it was, somewhere in Florida) they pushed that narrative hard then completely glossed over he was dealt to Cincinnati where his wife and kids didn’t live.

His agent is in the business to make him look less petty. Him going to Cinci to be able to see his son off to school or play little league was all bull. He couldn't from Cinci like his dad couldn't see him play little league as well which he said in the doc.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I’m not saying he had a huge ego but he was the staple of the organization and I firmly feel them offering ARod more had an effect. Plus they just did Randy wrong as well.

Per the article I posted they offered both an eight year deal with Jr's being more. The article even said he was fine with the amount which I assume he was because he took less with Cinci than the reported M's offer and deferred half of it I believe.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said, in his documentary though either he and his agent lied about that article you posted or in the documentary. If he was truthful in the doc then he just got miserable and didn’t play up to his ability because he was emotionally drained missing out on his family. Which goes to the doc did him wrong with that little 2 minute clip which I’m sure no one else would pick up on besides Mariners fans.

The od lied much like people around Jordan said The Last Dance lied about things. The purpose for the docs are to make the subject look the best they can. It was well known at the time of the building of Safeco he hated it when he and a couple others took BP there before it was even completed and he said then he was questioning how the ball didn't fly there. That is a 100% fact. Then his first year in Safeco just sent him over the top because before the completion he wanted the fences brought in and M's wouldn't do so much like how it was requested a few years later by others. He hated Safeco and wanted check swing home runs as he aged so Cinci was that place.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why? You’d rather have Cameron over Junior?

Before his moodiness? No. After his moodiness? Yes. I didn't/don't want any player on my favorite team who doesn't want to be there. In retrospect it was a great trade for the position they were in. Jr. himself has said on record that playing CF in the majors has at best a 12 shelf life. All those years running on the Kingdome concrete took a toll on his legs and he has said as much. I appreciated everything JR. did on the field as a Mariner and he was my favorite player to watch, but his two exits were moves a baby makes. He says now driving home to Florida in the middle of the night on his last deal was to not be a distraction. He wasn't a distraction, but leaving as he did was for a time because that was the only question being asked to the team for some time afterwards.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly probably intended to mold it to his liking but I still dont think he enjoyed. You cant account for the whole Marine Layer thing. I do remember sometime in those two months he played there, he hit a ball on the screws that died short of a homer and he was vocally upset about it.

I can semi understand that except for before they decided to move the fences in the only power players that loved it were lefties. I could be wrong and will admit it is a bias, but I think he was looking for everything possible to get out of town and wanted any excuse that most people wouldn’t hate him. He did have two very good examples of the vitriol Seattle fans can have when Randy and Shawn Kemp forced their way out of town.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His agent is in the business to make him look less petty. Him going to Cinci to be able to see his son off to school or play little league was all bull. He couldn't from Cinci like his dad couldn't see him play little league as well which he said in the doc.

Per the article I posted they offered both an eight year deal with Jr's being more. The article even said he was fine with the amount which I assume he was because he took less with Cinci than the reported M's offer and deferred half of it I believe.

I guess I didn’t read it very closely then. It was confirmed the highest offer in baseball history was ARod’s 18 million a year by the Mariners (until Texas dwarfed it) I was always told Junior only got up to 17, which no one could blame the Mariners. I’ve conceded I could be completely wrong but that will always be my firm belief until his story actually makes sense which it doesn’t in either the family angle or his manager or whatever he was angle that died in that plane crash.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The od lied much like people around Jordan said The Last Dance lied about things. The purpose for the docs are to make the subject look the best they can. It was well known at the time of the building of Safeco he hated it when he and a couple others took BP there before it was even completed and he said then he was questioning how the ball didn't fly there. That is a 100% fact. Then his first year in Safeco just sent him over the top because before the completion he wanted the fences brought in and M's wouldn't do so much like how it was requested a few years later by others. He hated Safeco and wanted check swing home runs as he aged so Cinci was that place.

Which I can understand but wasn’t what the documentary said and why I commented on I think it did him wrong. They hadn’t even moved into Safeco yet when his agent and he started talking about how he didn’t want to be like his dad and missing everything.