• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

July 1st is right around the corner

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I havent watched meier play all that much, but he seems a little like a hertl style player. 6'1, 210, European power forward with high end skill. If he is, then he'll fit in nicely with possession monsters like jumbo.

Interesting note: the sharks are really expanding beautifully in Europe. Donskoi and karlsson (fin and swede) sign for free (low $$$ and no draft pick used). Hertl (czeck), Boedker (danish), Meier (swiss), Goldobin (russia). And of course prospects like armalis, sorenson, heed. I like that dougie is finding untapped talent, and Id love to see that continue...
I thought Meier was an overage this year?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought Meier was an overage this year?
Meier will be 20 in october, which means i think he still has a year of junior eligibility. Generally you can play draft +2 years. He has only played draft +1 year. that said, I find it doubtful that they will send him back to juniors either way. more likely, if he doesnt make the team out of camp, he'll start in the AHL.

Some players need the overage year to get bigger, stronger, faster, and work on skills. Meier is already very NHL sized and seems to have the skills to play the pro game. Guys like that dont need to go back to jr. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do, but I am only cautiously optimistic, as Ive read some reports that seem to suggest that he isnt necessarily as good as a 9th overall pick would suggest. I also am only cautiously optimistic about what goldobin brings the table. If his defensive game isnt strong, he wont be able to play.

if Meier and Goldobin do make the big leap next year, it sure as hell give the sharks too many top end forwards (what a problem to have). You gotta figure wingels and nieto will see the door as tierney and karlsson can anchor the 4th line along with wardo or strangely enough, patty. Then Meier and goldobin would slot into the top 9, and the sharks could use wingels and nieto trades to bolster a defense that I still worry about a little bit.

Jumbo-Pavs-Hertl
Cooch-Donskoi-Meier
patty-Boedker-Goldobin (amazing speed though this line worries me defensively)
Tierney-Karlsson-Ward

If meier and goldobin can contribute well in the top 9, thats a team that can rool 4 lines at 15 mins/line per game and withstand multiple injuries without missing a beat.

Then if they can deal wingels and nieto, it will clear some 4M on the cap, and they can acquire a top 4 Dman midyear like a shattenkirk or someone on a struggling squad. Obviously the top 7 right now are respectable as is since burns, vlasic, and braun are rock solid, but martin is aging, dillon is suspect, and it remains to be seen how good schlemko fits and whether demelo progresses. There isnt much in the system defensively that appears to be upcoming (mueller is iffy, ryan too, and Roy is a long way away, and heed is an unknown). one injury to the top 4, especially to martin (which is pretty likely since he's 35 and has missed over 100 games in the last 4 seasons to injury) and the sharks D takes on a very different feel. Id love for dougie to parlay some of the newfound riches up front into fortifying the D with a top 4 talent.

What might it take to pry a #1 Dman from a team maybe one of giordano, brodie or hamilton should calgary falter (and that would not shock me given their dearth of forwards). I would certainly be willing to move their 1st rounder next year, one of the top prospects and nieto and wingels for such a player. (maybe throw dillon the other way too if theyll take him). The sharks were missing one defenseman against pitt as the bottom pair was badly exposed, and I dunno if schlemko fully solves that problem.

No need to take action right now with their spoil of riches up front, as they can let the healthy competition take place, wait for the inevitable injury bug to strike, and see how the D holds up with schlemko on the bottom pair. It sucks to have nearly 5.5M tied up in your bottom pair D, but I suppose if the sharks are kicking ass all year and the D is doing well, then no need to give up future assets to fix a non-existant problem.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Meier isn't in the NHL next year he will play for the Cudda. There is nothing for him to gain going back to the Q.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Meier isn't in the NHL next year he will play for the Cudda. There is nothing for him to gain going back to the Q.

Yep. I am really curious to see Goldobin and Meier this year. last year was the great emergence of donskoi, so maybe sorensen is worth watching too, but we've heard the names goldobin and meier for sometime now, and it seems like this upcoming year is the time for one or both to make a statement. The O is Deep and damn good, so they will have to be pretty solid to break into the lineup, but if they do, they will have top notch linemates to play with. if either makes it, they are almost assured to play with patty or cooch, and another solid winger like Donkey, Boedker, or Ward. That's a great opportunity for a young player to break in with a big splash. And, as I mentioned above, if they do make that splash, dougie will have many chips to play to improve the D in case of injury of struggles.

Still, I feel like the sharks are one more brent burns-like guy away from waltzing to a cup. One more top pair Dman and they will have no holes. They'll have one of the top goalies, 4 lines of dangerous offense with size and speed on every line, two of the best defensemen in the league (Burns+???), and the best shutdown pair in the league, and solid guys to spare in case of injury.

One more top Flight two-way Dman, and Id say the sharks are golden. Who could they get???

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would ANA be willing to part with one of lindholm, vatanen, or fowler? Calgary with one of Giordano, Brodie, or Hamilton (or rent wideman at the deadline)? Edler from Van? Shattenkirk from STL? Chara if boston falters?

Unfortunately, nearly all the possible available D who might fit the mold of a legit top 4, two way threat on D are in the west. Maybe one of Staal, Girardi, or Mcdonough out of NYR (likely girardi based on age and contract since hes got 5.5 per for 4 years already age 32). girardi has nearly between 17-21 pts at EV, which, would put him closer to a 30-40 pt players if put on a PP regular PP unit (say with pickles on the other point). Also, NYR has just 12M under the cap with kreider, miller, and hayes all as RFA's, who will likely be getting in the 3M+ range each given their performances last year. No one will take Nash's salary at this point, so they might have to unload one of their three roughly 5M/yr Dmen. If they dangle girardi and the sharks can offer cheap young forwards in exchange, it's gotta be tempting for the rangers. Girardi for Dillon+wingels+nieto+1st rounder? the salary is nearly a wash, but NYR get a young dman in dillon signed at a reasonable number, two speedy forwards and a 1st rounder while dumping a 32 year old who is guaranteed 5.5M per year for 4 years. If cap space is the issue, then the sharks can take tanner glass back to even it out (and bury him). For the Sharks, they get a bonafide top 4 dman with two way skill, the cap hit is significant as is term, but that should not be an issue since it's only roughly 2M more than dillon makes and the big numbers from jumbo and patty will be off the books after next year. (even if resigned, it will liekly be at 5M per or less each. Definitely far less for patty.)

girardi would sure fit the bill and is not too old. A D of Burns-martin, vlasic-braun, and Girardi-schlemko would be a force and would allow Deboer to roll 4 lines of O and 3 pairs of D with a threat to score on every line, and a great blend of veteran-youth throughout the lineup. If martin is breaking down with age, they can move girardi up to play with burns and put martin with schemko. And of course, in case of injury, girardi could slot into the top 4 with ease.

I just dont trust martin to stay healthy again, and I just dont trust Dillon, Schlemko, or Demelo in the top 4 in case of injury. I think the main reason LA lost to us so badly is because Voynov and martinez were not there. Doughty and muzzin were not enough and the LA D was too thin. nashville had great deep D, but their offense was thin. STL also was exposed beyond their top D (Bouwmeester was their #2Dman in ice time and edmundson and gunnarsson were a weak bottom pair forcing pietrangelo to play upwards of 30 mins/ night). Granted the Pens D was pretty mediocre on paper too beyond letang, but that's more of an abherration when you look at chicago and LA and their depth on D, and how they have at least 3 or 4 guys from D who can score regularly (keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya... doughty, muzzin, Voynov, martinez). The sharks have burns and maybe pickles a bit. Maybe schlemko can develop into a bit of a threat, but Id love another legit two-way defenseman to secure that unit.

I mean imagine a team that features:

Jumbo-pavs-hertl
Cooch-donskoi-Meier
Patty-Boedker-Goldobin
Tierney-karlsson-Ward
(and if meier or goldobin fail to impress, then ward and karlsson are legit top 9 forwards and tierney is a great 4th line C, so the team remains 4 lines deep with Glass, carpenter, goodrow, or whoever filling in)

Burns-martin
Vlasic-Braun
Girardi-Schlemko
(With Demelo as the 7th Dman)

Jones

There are NO holes in this lineup. they are 4 lines deep on O with talent, speed, experience, and size on every line. they are three lines deep on D, with several two-way agile threats, and spectacular shut down Dmen. And they have one of the best young goalies in the game. The only weakness would be an injury to Jones or Burns. Barring that, This would be the best roster in the NHL by alot in my opinion. I mean, how to you expose this lineup? how do you match up?

And, it would be sustainable since losing dillon, wingels, nieto, and the 1st rounder dont hurt the team much and the 5.5M in cap hit to girardi is not a problem as thats the same as wingels+dillon and in the future even with 8M going to burns after next year, the decreases to jumbo and patty easily give dougie the space to add girardi's deal as just 2M more than dillon's. It works for now and in the future and Girardi>>Dillon.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They have everything they need to win the cup. They've added speed and mobility to their bottom pairing D and the addition of Boedker and one of the young guys they will have added speed and skill up front.

With Meier

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto

With Goldobin

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Goldobin-Marleau-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They have everything they need to win the cup. They've added speed and mobility to their bottom pairing D and the addition of Boedker and one of the young guys they will have added speed and skill up front.

With Meier

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto

With Goldobin

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Goldobin-Marleau-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto

Agreed about the forwards with Boedker and likely at least one of meier/goldobin in there. But, you think the D is sufficient just replacing polak with Schlemko? Personally, I think the sharks got extremely lucky on the injury front. I mean, having all top 6 D play every playoff game (24 grueling, pressure packed, physical games and zero injuries) is an abherration. I think Martin is very likely to be hurt at some point, and I just dont trust a D corps that has dillon, schlemko and demelo in the lineup regularly.

Obviously, if they ditch wingels (as your lineup suggests) over the summer, they will have ample space to add mid year in case of that injury, so its not essential at all for dougie to go get a top 4 Dman right now. Personally though, I am not confident in the D corps with a 36 year old martin (come PO time) playing a 100% essential role with minimal backup.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Schlemko plays both sides and showed the ability to play a top 4 role last year with New Jersey so Martin falling off isn't too much of a concern. I'm curious to see if they stick with Dillon as the #6 or if they move towards better speed and puck movement and favor DeMelo or Heed in that position.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Schlemko plays both sides and showed the ability to play a top 4 role last year with New Jersey so Martin falling off isn't too much of a concern. I'm curious to see if they stick with Dillon as the #6 or if they move towards better speed and puck movement and favor DeMelo or Heed in that position.

Ill believe Schlemko as a legit top 4 when I see it, and if dillon ends up a #7Dman, that's a pretty big salary to play such a bit part. I liked what I saw from demelo, so he might be worth a shot there, but I would love to see if dougie can find a market for dillon, then throw in some added value (1st rounder, wingels, nieto or the like) and upgrade dillon into a more mobile steady two-way dman.

I guess they can see how demelo, heed, dillon, schlemko, and mueller do before taking any action. As they are, they are clearly a contender, so its coming from a position of strength.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As I said before even if he ends up the 7th Dman I think they will keep Dillon because of the looming expansion draft.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With prospect camp going all reports have Meier and Sorenson as real standouts so far.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1. I think the goalie situation is Dell. He's actually been pretty damn good, and I have no problem giving him a shot. If he does well, it secures the position for two years. If not, a backup goalie is easy to acquire midyear. Also, having grosenick and armalis battle it out in the A is great. Competition breeds success...

2. Sounds from all accounts like Meier is a stud. I can't wait to watch him in the preseason. Seems like he is getting more and more likely to make the team. I suppose that really puts nieto and wingels in an interesting spot. With nieto and wingels, they have 12 forwards, and no way Meier gets on the NHL roster and sits and no way they spend whatever resources putting nieto or wingels on the bench. Something will give, and this summer isnt over...

3. Also sounds like sorensen has a shot and mcnally had a solid game, and might make noise. Also a read a piece that Mueller's game has turned a corner. I even heard that chartier could be a solid depth player. Lots of new faces coming up this year and lots of 2nd and 3rd year guys ready to make a statement. I have heard next to nothing about goldobin, so I wonder where he stands.

I would love to see at least 2 or 3 of the prospects get a real shot at the NHL level. with demelo, they have 7 D, and with Meier and Nieto, they have 13 forwards, so there isnt much space right now to break in. Of course, injuries happen, so Im sure some guys will get a chance, but with Jumbo and patty playing what might be their last years in teal (or at least last highly impact years in teal), the kids are gunna need to get in there and take a leadership role. Hertl is starting to and donskoi, karlsson, Tierney, and Boedker up front with pavs and cooch in their primes is a good core, but I dont know if its enough once the big guys are gone. Meier, Goldobin, and one or two others are gunna need to step in and emerge as studs like pavs and cooch have and hopefully hertl will.

The D is better set as surely burns will get 5+ years in any extension, which he will get at some point soon, and aside from martin, the D is young-ish, and shouldnt have any problems. Still, they havent developed a legit top 4 Defensemen since Pickles, so it would be nice to get Roy, Mcnally, Mueller, Ryan, or someone to emerge from the mediocre pack and make a big impact at the NHL level.

I guess they are working from a position of strength after winning the western conference, but given the ages of jumbo, patty, ward, and martin, it's a bit of a tenuous and ephemeral position of strength if some kid dont make big leaps this year.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McNally is one of those dmen who wont put up a bunch of points but would get a ton of 3rd assists if they recorded those. He is excellent positionally in his own zone and moves the puck extremely well out of his zone and through the neutral zone. He is ready to see a couple games at the NHL level but most likely won't barring injuries because of the teams depth on D.

Roy's biggest deficiency when he was drafted was his skating and he's improved that aspect dramatically. He will go back to the CHL for one more year though.

Mueller's game started to show a lot of improvement late last season. He needs to pick up where he left off and he'll get that chance starting in the AHL this year.

Heed is another who will surprise a lot. Being 25 he wasn't eligible for the prospect camp (24 and under) but he is a great skater who moves the puck well, has a very good offensive game, with a hard and accurate shot. His defensive game won't wow you but it's not a liability either.

You didn't hear much about Goldobin because this was his 2nd prospect camp and most of the focus was on the newer players. For the most part he coasted through the camp knowing his audition doesn't really start until the pro camp opens.

I think the team already has Meier penciled into the line up. He has the game to be successful at the NHL level this year.

Sorenson reminds me a lot of Carl Haglin only with a better shot and nose for the net. Weather he starts in the NHL or AHL will depend on how fast he adjusts to the NA sized rink.

As far as goalies go Groesnick should be in the ECHL this season. He's been that bad. Dell might be given a shot at the back up spot but I think we will see a late offseason signing of someone like Enroth.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McNally is one of those dmen who wont put up a bunch of points but would get a ton of 3rd assists if they recorded those. He is excellent positionally in his own zone and moves the puck extremely well out of his zone and through the neutral zone. He is ready to see a couple games at the NHL level but most likely won't barring injuries because of the teams depth on D.

Roy's biggest deficiency when he was drafted was his skating and he's improved that aspect dramatically. He will go back to the CHL for one more year though.

Mueller's game started to show a lot of improvement late last season. He needs to pick up where he left off and he'll get that chance starting in the AHL this year.

Heed is another who will surprise a lot. Being 25 he wasn't eligible for the prospect camp (24 and under) but he is a great skater who moves the puck well, has a very good offensive game, with a hard and accurate shot. His defensive game won't wow you but it's not a liability either.

You didn't hear much about Goldobin because this was his 2nd prospect camp and most of the focus was on the newer players. For the most part he coasted through the camp knowing his audition doesn't really start until the pro camp opens.

I think the team already has Meier penciled into the line up. He has the game to be successful at the NHL level this year.

Sorenson reminds me a lot of Carl Haglin only with a better shot and nose for the net. Weather he starts in the NHL or AHL will depend on how fast he adjusts to the NA sized rink.

As far as goalies go Groesnick should be in the ECHL this season. He's been that bad. Dell might be given a shot at the back up spot but I think we will see a late offseason signing of someone like Enroth.
I was going to say Enroth most likely on a PTO ala Zubrus by end of camp. I'm thinking Dell is a career AHLer, Shane about Grosenick seems like he never got over that concussion

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Neito 750k about right
Shockingly cheap to me. Not that he's worth way more, just that he does have about 10 goals, 20 points per season. Those arent 735k type of numbers (more like 1.5).

This gives the sharks enough space to make no more moves and keep everyone (with dell as the backup). Still a little strange to make no more moves since they have 12 NHL forwards, and thus no space for meier or someone else without injury or benching wingels/nieto/someone. Still this kind of deal, much like demelo's gives dougie incredible flexibility. You have to say that Dougie is really having a terrific summer so far.

I guess the last order of business would be extended burnsie. I would be surprised if this doesnt get done rather soon...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shockingly cheap to me. Not that he's worth way more, just that he does have about 10 goals, 20 points per season. Those arent 735k type of numbers (more like 1.5).

This gives the sharks enough space to make no more moves and keep everyone (with dell as the backup). Still a little strange to make no more moves since they have 12 NHL forwards, and thus no space for meier or someone else without injury or benching wingels/nieto/someone. Still this kind of deal, much like demelo's gives dougie incredible flexibility. You have to say that Dougie is really having a terrific summer so far.

I guess the last order of business would be extended burnsie. I would be surprised if this doesnt get done rather soon...

Does Goldobin have ANY shot of making the roster?? Only reason I care is cause im sitting on a mountain of Goldo autod rookie cards. They only sell for like $2-$3 on ebay. Normally I sell whatever rookies I get, but everyone keeps saying how Goldo has incredible offensive skill. Figured it be worth the risk to hold onto them, but if he doesnt even have a shot o making the roster or only get sparse playing time from injuries or on the bottom line, I mine as well sell before the value drops to less then a buck lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Does Goldobin have ANY shot of making the roster?? Only reason I care is cause im sitting on a mountain of Goldo autod rookie cards. They only sell for like $2-$3 on ebay. Normally I sell whatever rookies I get, but everyone keeps saying how Goldo has incredible offensive skill. Figured it be worth the risk to hold onto them, but if he doesnt even have a shot o making the roster or only get sparse playing time from injuries or on the bottom line, I mine as well sell before the value drops to less then a buck lol

Looks pretty unlikely that he's gunna get a shot out of camp barring a few trades or injuries. meier, by all accounts, is ahead of him on the development curve, and would seem to be the lead for getting a spot on the NHl roster out of camp. the defensive issues with goldobin are supposedly still there...

All that said, injuries will happen. they always do. on any given night 1 to 3 guys will be out, so 2 rookies/call-ups will be in. That may mean haley, carpenter, or goodrow first, but if it's a skilled guy then goldobin is 2nd or 3rd in line right now. If he starts in the A and plays a 200 foot game, he'll see NHL action this year. No doubt dougie still sees him as a legit prospect. Its really up to him if he proves he can play at both ends...

I sure as hell hope he gets the defensive game going. I mean he was like -35 in his draft year in juniors, and has been minus everywhere he goes from jrs to europe to the A. He's still only 20. He'll turn 21 right at the start of the season, so it's not like he's "old" or running out of time. I feel like one can learn the defensive game if the commitment level is there. This is the big year for him, and it should pretty tell us if he is a legit NHL scoring forward, or a defensive liability with a ton of wasted talent.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks pretty unlikely that he's gunna get a shot out of camp barring a few trades or injuries. meier, by all accounts, is ahead of him on the development curve, and would seem to be the lead for getting a spot on the NHl roster out of camp. the defensive issues with goldobin are supposedly still there...

All that said, injuries will happen. they always do. on any given night 1 to 3 guys will be out, so 2 rookies/call-ups will be in. That may mean haley, carpenter, or goodrow first, but if it's a skilled guy then goldobin is 2nd or 3rd in line right now. If he starts in the A and plays a 200 foot game, he'll see NHL action this year. No doubt dougie still sees him as a legit prospect. Its really up to him if he proves he can play at both ends...

I sure as hell hope he gets the defensive game going. I mean he was like -35 in his draft year in juniors, and has been minus everywhere he goes from jrs to europe to the A. He's still only 20. He'll turn 21 right at the start of the season, so it's not like he's "old" or running out of time. I feel like one can learn the defensive game if the commitment level is there. This is the big year for him, and it should pretty tell us if he is a legit NHL scoring forward, or a defensive liability with a ton of wasted talent.

Being a D liability shouldnt be a black flag tho... We have the worst one (ok 2nd worst one - the other is actually skilled) on our team with Marleau.. The 1st worst one is Ovie.. and while im not comparing Goldo to Ovie... would you really not want Ovie on your team cause he is awful in his own zone??? - back to the 2nd wrost - We have marleau, who is n albatros given his contract vs points vs his awful D... So SJ really should have no right to black flag Goldo for lack of D almost, when they pay a guy 7mil to completely blow nuts every game.. If Goldo can put up 20/40 at 1mil a year, hes worth the roster over Marleaus 25/45 7mil -25 a year...