• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Judge Recommends Suspension of 6 Games for Deshaun Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not about justice, in the end. It's about what's best for the NFL as a business, taking contract law into consideration. It's about costs and revenue.

From a business perspective, the next step by the NFL will have both upsides and downsides, some of which are hard to gauge without a crystal ball. None of them are decisive on their own.

Robinson's ruling wasn't crazy if you only count four cases, given the Winston precedent and Watson's "clean slate." So the NFL/Goodell can certainly accept it. Or they can opt to go on the high side per case and consider more than four cases, or consider premeditation, which was obviously lacking in Winston's case.
There are definitely a lot of ways this could still go and not an easy choice for either side how to play it (obviously, Watson leaves it alone for now).

As mentioned, the ruling certainly made it appeal worthy. Then again, do they really want to spend the next year or much longer in depositions, court, etc. an actual court case not a good look for the league.

Not certain this will be the route they take but easiest might be to simply say "we thought it should have been a lot longer but will abide by the ruling of the former judge we helped appoint to this role and her vast experience in these matters."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are definitely a lot of ways this could still go and not an easy choice for either side how to play it (obviously, Watson leaves it alone for now).

As mentioned, the ruling certainly made it appeal worthy. Then again, do they really want to spend the next year or much longer in depositions, court, etc. an actual court case not a good look for the league.

Not certain this will be the route they take but easiest might be to simply say "we thought it should have been a lot longer but will abide by the ruling of the former judge we helped appoint to this role and her vast experience in these matters."
"And we still have the Flores court case coming up!"

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An indefinite suspension given no criminal charges would be absolutely unheard of in all of sports save for gambling and multiple multiple time drug abusers.
Ray Rice was indefinitely suspended without a conviction... Goodell later said that was a mistake. It was reversed in court.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Rice was indefinitely suspended without a conviction... Goodell later said that was a mistake. It was reversed in court.
Unless, I'm mistaking, he wasn't suspended until the video was leaked to the public.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless, I'm mistaking, he wasn't suspended until the video was leaked to the public.
Video was published of him dragging her unconscious from the elevator. Two game suspension and public outcry that it was weak.

Then a few months later video released from inside the elevator of him punching her, and Goodell changed it to indefinite.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video was published of him dragging her unconscious from the elevator. Two game suspension and public outcry that it was weak.

Then a few months later video released from inside the elevator of him punching her, and Goodell changed it to indefinite.
Thanks, I knew the punishment went from nothing to something after the vid hit the public arena.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking about this… NFL said what they wanted to to save face, so now they could say they went for a higher punishment, but it was ignored.

Now the NFL has wiggle room to say “we knew it was coming but couldn’t do anything about it. We tried our best.”

Honestly, this issue is bad. There will be whiplash.

Feel for the Browns, but how do you sign a QB for so much capital and expense. That is the underlying issue.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking about this… NFL said what they wanted to to save face, so now they could say they went for a higher punishment, but it was ignored.

Now the NFL has wiggle room to say “we knew it was coming but couldn’t do anything about it. We tried our best.”

Feel for the Browns, but how do you sign a QB for so much capital and expense. That is the underlying issue.
Not ideal way to do it but you sign a QB like this because it's a very important position and the FO feels like they have a team ready to win now.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, they have no wiggle room, as they touted the ability to appeal a light punishment from the beginning.

Had the stated they will more likely accept the original rulling then I'd say they could say, "hey it wasn't us"

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they have no wiggle room, as they touted the ability to appeal a light punishment from the beginning.

Had the stated they will more likely accept the original rulling then I'd say they could say, "hey it wasn't us"
The bolded part is what I referring to.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

who from the NFL touted from the beginning their ability to appeal a light punishment. Sure, it was well known they could but cannot say I recall the NFL continuously reminding us they could unless asked.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded part is what I referring to.
I know, but they can't say that, because they said they can appeal as long as Watson is given some kind of discipline.

Now it's in the NFLs hands, if they dont appeal those 6 games are theirs.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not ideal way to do it but you sign a QB like this because it's a very important position and the FO feels like they have a team ready to win now.
Yeah but … it seems like an extraordinary push to what amounts to unproven commodity. Have said it before and will say it again, Watson has a lot to prove to be a franchise QB.

Hope it works out for you guys.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who from the NFL touted from the beginning their ability to appeal a light punishment. Sure, it was well known they could but cannot say I recall the NFL continuously reminding us they could unless asked.
Did you not read how the NFL wanted a year or an indefinite suspension?

Did you not hear the NFL could appeal and hand it to Goodell who would have final say.

If you're going to keep your head burried in the sand, we're done.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but … it seems like an extraordinary push to what amounts to unproven commodity. Have said it before and will say it again, Watson has a lot to prove to be a franchise QB.

Hope it works out for you guys.
He definitely has more to prove, especially with a year off, but I think he's shown he is a top tier QB. Can he move into the elite level? We'll see.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not read how the NFL wanted a year or an indefinite suspension?

Did you not hear the NFL could appeal and hand it to Goodell who would have final say.

If you're going to keep your head burried in the sand, we're done.
Yes, I was aware the NFL wanted a year. That's what they told the judge in the hearing and hoped that would be her ruling (it wasn't). That's not touting their ability to overturn a light punishment. Try again.

Yes, I did know the NFL could appeal and have final say. But once again, who from the NFL was making those statements throughout the process as you implied? It was just common knowledge. Try again.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but they can't say that, because they said they can appeal as long as Watson is given some kind of discipline.

Now it's in the NFLs hands, if they dont appeal those 6 games are theirs.
I know the court of public is worth a rats pubic hair, but that will be the biggest damage of all this. Not only for the Browns but NFL in general. Star athletes have the right to corner and abuse women? That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.