• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon musings

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
So, we have an uber-talented wide receiver, Josh Gordon, who apparently has many demons living inside him. So far is this short NFL year, he took a 2 or 3 week hiatus from the team during training camp to get his head right. One can assume he was having a tough time dealing with the pressure of being an NFL player (keep in mind this is the Browns where expectations are relatively low). He claims to have pulled a hammy in a promo photo shoot and he has been late for meetings. So the Browns said ENOUGH and traded him to New England.
So now interject Josh into the no-nonsense world of Lord Bill, where if you do not meet expectations you are out the door in a hurry. And you are with a team with perennial Super Bowl expectations. So the pressure is elevated geometrically.
The question is, will this speed him to the end of his career in football or will the structure and discipline of this team be just what he needs.
This will be interesting to watch and the answer should come quickly.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great question. I'm guessing it will speed up the end of his career. The culture shock should be intense. You're talking about going from the bottom of the barrel to the polar opposite end. I have a feeling learning the playbook alone will frustrate him back to the pipe. He went from reading a crayon coloring book to learning how to read Latin.

Good Luck! I hope he survives because he's an incredible athlete, but I'm not overly optimistic with him in Belichick's world.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This setup didn't work for head cases like Albert Haynesworth or Chad Johnson. Someone please educate me. Has something similar worked for other problem children who went to the Pats in the last 10-15 years? Not talking simply about players who were coming off bad years & went to the Pats but rather people who had real issues that they brought on themselves.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
This setup didn't work for head cases like Albert Haynesworth or Chad Johnson. Someone please educate me. Has something similar worked for other problem children who went to the Pats in the last 10-15 years? Not talking simply about players who were coming off bad years & went to the Pats but rather people who had real issues that they brought on themselves.
The one that comes to mind is Randy Moss. His was more of an attitude thing and was immediately corrected. Because of his time in NE he now dons a gold jacket

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one that comes to mind is Randy Moss. His was more of an attitude thing and was immediately corrected. Because of his time in NE he now dons a gold jacket

I thought about him, but IMO his issues were relatively minor.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I truly believe that if Moss never played in NE he would still be in the HOF - he would have done at least a very good job elsewhere during that time.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was already going to the HOF

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we have an uber-talented wide receiver, Josh Gordon, who apparently has many demons living inside him. So far is this short NFL year, he took a 2 or 3 week hiatus from the team during training camp to get his head right. One can assume he was having a tough time dealing with the pressure of being an NFL player (keep in mind this is the Browns where expectations are relatively low). He claims to have pulled a hammy in a promo photo shoot and he has been late for meetings. So the Browns said ENOUGH and traded him to New England.
So now interject Josh into the no-nonsense world of Lord Bill, where if you do not meet expectations you are out the door in a hurry. And you are with a team with perennial Super Bowl expectations. So the pressure is elevated geometrically.
The question is, will this speed him to the end of his career in football or will the structure and discipline of this team be just what he needs.
This will be interesting to watch and the answer should come quickly.
personal opinion...

only one guy i can recall has been a problem after he got here. albert haynseworth.

they will give him easy routes he already knows and work him into the full playbook as the season goes. its the hardest offense to learn in the league.
if he can learn it, i think he has success here and the pats either extend or tender him.

hes not randy moss, but has his freakish skills. i can see him working out here long term.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that Moss was probably a HOF'er without Belichik and Brady, but they certainly helped seal the deal.

Maybe BB just thinks this is a greater challenge than actually winning a title: "I'm going to rehabilitate a guy that everyone else has given up on." He is a genius, after all, gotta maintain that Rep

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moss had some minor issues comparatively speaking...Gordon is a different animal completely from any of the previous reclamation projects BB has brought in.

We shall see...with the discipline, challenging playbook, route running etc...I'm not sure if I would bet on Gordon having success, but wish him well.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personal opinion...

hes not randy moss, but has his freakish skills. i can see him working out here long term.
lol Rock, wish I could share your optimism. Nothing would please us fans more than having a deep threat again, but it seems so remote. Hope I am wrong.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough finding success stories with guys that messed up. But it is a low risk move for them.

I do wonder though if his "getting his head straight" bit in training camp was just him not wanting to be on Hard Knocks.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may be in the CFL catching passes from Manziel next season.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Rock, wish I could share your optimism. Nothing would please us fans more than having a deep threat again, but it seems so remote. Hope I am wrong.
i have a hunch you will be. its success or CFL.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is he stays clean this season, goes off the rails next year and BB says goodbye before kickoff 2019

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is he stays clean this season, goes off the rails next year and BB says goodbye before kickoff 2019

this would be my guess also ... i'm not sure this guy is going to be able to keep everything together for more than a few months at a time in his life

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this would be my guess also ... i'm not sure this guy is going to be able to keep everything together for more than a few months at a time in his life

Yeah think he could stay engaged during the season, but this guy with time on his hands in the offseason, not good