• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon 2019

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on who would make the offer it could a huge deal for Gordon or a huge deal for Gordon and the Patriots working together.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I am Gordon and his agent I would be really really careful how I play this. Josh may be better off not signing with the Pats, we all know and he knows the years TB12 has left may be limited. If he were to sign an extended contract with the Pats he may end up in a Cleveland type situation a team looking for a QB. If the Pats go on to win the SB this year (doubtful IMO) Josh will have gotten a ring and I suspect it would be harder for the Pats to keep him, what would the tender be? 1st Round pick one would assume, and if the Pats are looking to replace Brady and draft a QB early that may come in handy.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody's going to give him a contract the Pats wouldn't match and cough up a 1st round pick for him with his track record. By far the most likely scenario is he plays out the year on the tender and hits UFA in 2020.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody's going to give him a contract the Pats wouldn't match and cough up a 1st round pick for him with his track record. By far the most likely scenario is he plays out the year on the tender and hits UFA in 2020.

If the Pats are willing to take a first there would be no need to match the contract. As I said this makes sense to me only of the Pats are looking to take a QB early, and I am not to impressed with this QB class.

The kid I like is Fromm from UGA but I don't think he is coming out this year.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats may very well be willing to take a 1st...but my larger point was that there's virtually no chance someone's going to even craft an offer sheet for them to consider whether to match or not if that's the cost.

Yes, Fromm is a true soph and not eligible to apply for the draft this year. He'd almost definitely be a very high pick if he were, probably the first QB off the board.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats may very well be willing to take a 1st...but my larger point was that there's virtually no chance someone's going to even craft an offer sheet for them to consider whether to match or not if that's the cost.

Yes, Fromm is a true soph and not eligible to apply for the draft this year. He'd almost definitely be a very high pick if he were, probably the first QB off the board.
Agreed on Fromm which means when he is available no way the Pats get him. He'll end up a Jet I bet.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be pretty surprising to see the Jets giving up on Darnold after only 2 years. The other NY team could be in the market for a QB at the top of the draft in 2020, though...

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? I've seen a whole lot dumber moves in the past. A team with a late first rounder offering 5 mill per doesn't seem that much of a stretch... Then the Pats would have to consider the pick vs the value of Gordon at a relatively cheap price.

To me the real question is this: will Gordon understand he created the situation in which his only option will be playing for a discount? Will he think he "deserves more" and create a distraction?

The guy we've seen so far says and does all the right things. When asked if he thought he should have been a bigger part of the first half, he basically said "we won the game, who am I to question it?" Really good answer.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be pretty surprising to see the Jets giving up on Darnold after only 2 years. The other NY team could be in the market for a QB at the top of the draft in 2020, though...
True, but it's the Jets so I just tossed their hat in the ring. But yeah the NYG For sure.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I've seen a whole lot dumber moves in the past. A team with a late first rounder offering 5 mill per doesn't seem that much of a stretch... Then the Pats would have to consider the pick vs the value of Gordon at a relatively cheap price.
I mean sure anything's possible, but for this guy I don't see a team willing to risk it. Sure lots of teams were on him when the cost was a 5th and the remainder of a $700K contract. When you're talking about committing multiple years, millions of dollars, and a 1st rounder? I'd be very surprised to see that happen.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean sure anything's possible, but for this guy I don't see a team willing to risk it. Sure lots of teams were on him when the cost was a 5th and the remainder of a $700K contract. When you're talking about committing multiple years, millions of dollars, and a 1st rounder? I'd be very surprised to see that happen.
They could back load the contract. " Hey look we need to make sure we are protecting our interest here too". Back load the contract, write in incentives it could be done. Personally I would like the Pats to offer him a deal.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A contract like that the Pats would probably match, though, which goes back to my original point...a contract the Pats wouldn't want to match, in addition to the 1st rounder

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless he really wants to be a pro. The NFL doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any court challenge. If there's a 6'6" 325 lb LT who's been a Texas All-State since he was a Freshman and doesn't want to go to college, the NFL will fold just like the MLB, NHL and NBA have. The only thing that they've been able to say is that an 18 year doesn't have a body mature enough to compete at their level. There's a LeBron out there who's going to prove them wrong and screw college footbaljust like the NBA screwed the colleges.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough call for both Gorden and the Patriots. It seems Gordon really does appreciate the support and fit he got here here but money is money so it might be hard to turn down if someone offers.

And the Patriots don't tend to give big contract this way, particularly when the players is "fragile"

Still, he's been very good for the Pats this year. I'd like him to stay.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough call for both Gorden and the Patriots. It seems Gordon really does appreciate the support and fit he got here here but money is money so it might be hard to turn down if someone offers.

And the Patriots don't tend to give big contract this way, particularly when the players is "fragile"

Still, he's been very good for the Pats this year. I'd like him to stay.

I like Josh staying. However, 3 catches a game is not #1 money. What is he worth?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pats are willing to take a first there would be no need to match the contract. As I said this makes sense to me only of the Pats are looking to take a QB early, and I am not to impressed with this QB class.

The kid I like is Fromm from UGA but I don't think he is coming out this year.

No one is going to give up a first on Gordon

That just isn't happening

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he really wants to be a pro. The NFL doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any court challenge. If there's a 6'6" 325 lb LT who's been a Texas All-State since he was a Freshman and doesn't want to go to college, the NFL will fold just like the MLB, NHL and NBA have. The only thing that they've been able to say is that an 18 year doesn't have a body mature enough to compete at their level. There's a LeBron out there who's going to prove them wrong and screw college footbaljust like the NBA screwed the colleges.

There's nothing illegal about the NFL's position on college/time out of HS

That would be akin to saying a job can't ask for a college degree