• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jose Abreu

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's address the elephant in the room for a moment. Shall we?

Abreu is slashing .197/.272/.311 (.583 OPS). His OPS+ is 79.

We all have a warm spot in our hearts for the guy. He was here through the darkest of the dark times and stuck it out with us all the way until we emerged out of the other side. I know we've had this conversation before about Abreu potentially having his better days behind him. He always has responded by getting it together and going on a tear. I 100% think he can get it together. However, he is 35 now and each time he does this it becomes a bit more concerning.

At what point do you truly begin to worry? June? July? If this persists into June. I think there needs to be a very real conversation about dropping him in the order. Or even giving some of the starts at first base to Vaughn. Am I overreacting?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's address the elephant in the room for a moment. Shall we?

Abreu is slashing .197/.272/.311 (.583 OPS). His OPS+ is 79.

We all have a warm spot in our hearts for the guy. He was here through the darkest of the dark times and stuck it out with us all the way until we emerged out of the other side. I know we've had this conversation before about Abreu potentially having his better days behind him. He always has responded by getting it together and going on a tear. I 100% think he can get it together. However, he is 35 now and each time he does this it becomes a bit more concerning.

At what point do you truly begin to worry? June? July? If this persists into June. I think there needs to be a very real conversation about dropping him in the order. Or even giving some of the starts at first base to Vaughn. Am I overreacting?
As perhaps the #1 Abreu fan on this board I'd say you're not overreacting in the slightest. Pito could not have picked a worse season to show his career is perhaps beginning to slowing down. Just when he's in the final year of his contract, and assuming he had even an ok season to date, he'd probably be in line for a 1-2 year extension. But now, unless he really starts to ratchet it up, we could be seeing the last of him in a Sox uni.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As perhaps the #1 Abreu fan on this board I'd say you're not overreacting in the slightest. Pito could not have picked a worse season to show his career is perhaps beginning to slowing down. Just when he's in the final year of his contract, and assuming he had even an ok season to date, he'd probably be in line for a 1-2 year extension. But now, unless he really starts to ratchet it up, we could be seeing the last of him in a Sox uni.
If his best days are behind him and it becomes obvious by season's end. I could see him being the kind of guy who accepts a Konerko like role in his final days and stays on as a part time player/mentor. After all, he would probably rather be a part time player for us as a contender. As opposed to going to a team in the middle of a rebuild and playing every day for a team destined to win 60 to 75 games.

It sucks, but often great hitters don't gradually decline. They just all of the sudden lose it. The eyesight or bat speed just falls off a tad and that little bit is all it takes for a perennial 30+ HR 100+ RBI hitter to decay into nothingness.

I truly hope we look back on this thread in a month's time and go "Man, this sure didn't age well!". We shall see... but this is starting to feel a bit different than his other slumps. I don't recall him being THIS lifeless. The power disappearing is the most troublesome part. That slugging percentage... yikes.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu really needs to pick it up - I agree. Good points by Richie and LSD. Personally, I think most sluggers have done well through age 36.- so, hopefully he snaps out of it soon.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only thing i worry about is the increase in his groundball rate, but everything else looks fine. his BABIP is almost 100 points below his career average and his HR/FB is half of his career average. his statcast numbers are also pretty encouraging (.267 xBA, .504 xSLG)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only thing i worry about is the increase in his groundball rate, but everything else looks fine. his BABIP is almost 100 points below his career average and his HR/FB is half of his career average. his statcast numbers are also pretty encouraging (.267 xBA, .504 xSLG)
Abreu is also in top 8 MLB for hard hit rate.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu is also in top 8 MLB for hard hit rate.
He's actually picked it up a bit since I started this thread. Another home run tonight.