• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joint Practice

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the interview between Damien Harris and Tom Curran. Harris basically saying can't fight in the game can't fight at practice. Need to do a better job...very well spoken and mature.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me why they actually have joint practices? I mean isn't the point of practice to actually practice and develop new things? How can they do that when the opposition is right there?!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me why they actually have joint practices? I mean isn't the point of practice to actually practice and develop new things? How can they do that when the opposition is right there?!
2 days of joint practice still allows non-public practice on the other days.
Hitting somebody besides a teammate is practice you can't get any other way.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 days of joint practice still allows non-public practice on the other days.
Hitting somebody besides a teammate is practice you can't get any other way.
I get that but to me that's not "practice" that is a scrimmage. I totally get players need to actually HIT other players NOT their own teammates but that's a scrimmage

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but to me that's not "practice" that is a scrimmage. I totally get players need to actually HIT other players NOT their own teammates but that's a scrimmage
"FOXBORO — As Baker Mayfield dropped back in the pocket, Deatrich Wise came sprinting off the edge of the defensive line. With the 6-foot-5, 275-pound defensive lineman bearing down on him, the Carolina Panthers starting quarterback got the pass off just in time.

Unlike in a real game, the Patriots defensive lineman patted Mayfield on the back before talking to the quarterback.

“Playful trash talk,” Wise explained. “That’s kind of what I did. I walked past him and told him that I was here.”

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Usually it is against a team you are not playing in the regular season. So no trade secrets being given up for that season. They also still keep it pretty vanilla during those times at least play call wise and just more getting players to break up the routine. They get to know their own teammates and their habits and you can start to believe that is how every player in the league does it. So it is good for at least a few days to see something new and have to adjust.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually it is against a team you are not playing in the regular season. So no trade secrets being given up for that season. They also still keep it pretty vanilla during those times at least play call wise and just more getting players to break up the routine. They get to know their own teammates and their habits and you can start to believe that is how every player in the league does it. So it is good for at least a few days to see something new and have to adjust.

Good explanation but still is a scrimmage and not truly "practice" imho but I get why it is called it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good explanation but still is a scrimmage and not truly "practice" imho but I get why it is called it.

I would agree it is more of a scrimmage. Most of the time the teams spend a majority of the practice doing their own thing. It is when they start doing 11-on-11 that they combine turning into like you said more of a scrimmage. Maybe the only other drill they will do together is the 1-on-1 drills that sometimes happen.

To me it is more about breaking up the long offseason. These guys have done nothing but hit each other up to that point and that wears on you. Now you get into a situation where you can go a little more all out because you don't have to worry about hurting a teammate. I think that is why we are also seeing things boil over at a lot of these practices because these guys have all this energy they are not allowed to let out finally getting that opportunity.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 2, another fight - more ejections.

Panthers Wire writer says it was a cheap shot that started it. Convenient. It wasn't the Patriots defense dominating that caused it!

It wasn't the cleanest play by the Patriot defenders, but it definitely shouldn't have led to them then ending up in the crowd still fighting.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree it is more of a scrimmage. Most of the time the teams spend a majority of the practice doing their own thing. It is when they start doing 11-on-11 that they combine turning into like you said more of a scrimmage. Maybe the only other drill they will do together is the 1-on-1 drills that sometimes happen.

To me it is more about breaking up the long offseason. These guys have done nothing but hit each other up to that point and that wears on you. Now you get into a situation where you can go a little more all out because you don't have to worry about hurting a teammate. I think that is why we are also seeing things boil over at a lot of these practices because these guys have all this energy they are not allowed to let out finally getting that opportunity.

Yeah I can see this exactly being the reason for them. I guess I just am more worried about the Patriots "jelling" and getting the offense going (especially with NO OC/DC assigned) so my mind is telling me that there "shouldn't be another team" on the field until the actual pre season

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I can see this exactly being the reason for them. I guess I just am more worried about the Patriots "jelling" and getting the offense going (especially with NO OC/DC assigned) so my mind is telling me that there "shouldn't be another team" on the field until the actual pre season

Yeah I could see that being a good thought with the situation the Patriots find themselves in. My guess is these joint practices were scheduled before the Patriots made some of their coaching decisions. Teams have to do a lot of work to make these happen so the planning starts way in advance of the season.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot see where the cheap shot was, not from the footage presented