• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Swofford Announces Retirement

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The glamor conferences are the SEC and Big 10. Other than that, you have Oklahoma, Clemson, and Notre Dame. It's just the way it is right now, but like everything else, things change over time.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On my way home from work today Finebaum called Swofford one of the most respected commissioners in college football history and I literally busted out laughing in my car by myself.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC Commissioner John Swofford Announces Plans for Retirement

That's a shame

tenor.gif
2ajtsw.gif

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck him. He was a UNC stooge, gave us a truly shitty network deal where we're like 20 to 30 mil short of everyone else, and kickbacked a bunch of money to his stooge son

So, who's a likely replacement??

Some seem to think VT's AD, Whit Babcock

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck him. He was a UNC stooge, gave us a truly shitty network deal where we're like 20 to 30 mil short of everyone else, and kickbacked a bunch of money to his stooge son

Some seem to think VT's AD, Whit Babcock

the best comment on VT's 247 site i read was that the three leading candidates for his replacement were Michael Jordan, Roy Williams, and the goat mascot. lulz

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC should hire Beebe

Beebe_Blasted_medium.gif

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes, great ideas don't work out well. On the ride back to Jax from Miami after OU beat FSU for the National Championship in Jan. 2001, I shared my thoughts with my Seminole brother that I thought the ACC should invite Big East powers Miami (Fla.), VPI, etc. to the ACC and become a super conference. Well, apparently somebody blabbed to Swofford. Unfortunately, the plan backfired. Please, don't blame me! I was just trying to placate a butt hurt Seminole fan.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. I still cant figure out how that deal got made. Is there no oversight?

The guy was/is worthless.

How he negotiated the "Power 5" deal and the inclusion of Notre Dame as a part-timer, are classic blunders.

When the Rose has the Big-10 vs the Pac12 both leagues get 40 million.
When the Sugar has the SEC vs the Big12 both leagues get 40 million.
When we Host the Orange Bowl we get 27 million and if we play an SEC or Big10 team they get 27 million.
WTF!!!

Now we get 40 if we play Notre Dame but ND gets 13 million all to themselves. If ND plays in any
other elite6 game they don't have to share with the ACC.

The ND deal was as one-sided as it could be...all in favor of ND. They needed a home for their other
sports, if they were to remain an independent in football. The Big East had loss whatever good teams
they had to the ACC...plus a guaranteed Elite Bowl slot. ND had to get away from them. They NEEDED
a league for their other sports to control and monitor their expenses and spending. We were holding all
the cards, and they got all the perks.

"It will increase the prestige of the ACC"...I believe was his quote. As he was giving them one of our bowl slots
and allowing them to keep all the money if they are in an elite 6 bowl game.

The only thing Swofford wil ever be associated with is the classic line from Kevin Bacon, in Animal House...

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How he negotiated the "Power 5" deal and the inclusion of Notre Dame as a part-timer, are classic blunders.

When we Host the Orange Bowl we get 27 million and if we play an SEC or Big10 team they get 27 million.
WTF!!!

Now we get 40 if we play Notre Dame but ND gets 13 million all to themselves. If ND plays in any

The ND deal was as one-sided as it could be...all in favor of ND. They needed a home for their other
sports, if they were to remain an independent in football. The Big East had loss whatever good teams
they had to the ACC...plus a guaranteed Elite Bowl slot. ND had to get away from them. They NEEDED
a league for their other sports to control and monitor their expenses and spending. We were holding all

"It will increase the prestige of the ACC"...I believe was his quote. As he was giving them one of our bowl slots

The only thing Swofford wil ever be associated with is the classic line from Kevin Bacon, in Animal House...

I forgot how bad ND went in on the ACC without even sweet whispering. Didn't ND get all the CFP money too? Like the ACC didn't get anything in ND first appearance. The NCAA made the change because it wasn't fair lol

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WTF!!!

-Yeah, I think ND football is required to play against 5 ACC teams each season or something? THAT was the "Big Concession" by them...

-ACC needs to get a non-basketball centric commissioner and one that isn't beholden to tobacco road (I guess that's the same thing)...

-Will NEVER understand how Boston College got an invite?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Yeah, I think ND football is required to play against 5 ACC teams each season or something? THAT was the "Big Concession" by them...

-ACC needs to get a non-basketball centric commissioner and one that isn't beholden to tobacco road (I guess that's the same thing)...

-Will NEVER understand how Boston College got an invite?
My only guess for BC was that I'm guessing that they figured that they could possibly get more eyeballs in the Boston area? Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. UConn would've been better than them because at least they've had some success at both men's and women's basketball.