• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Harbaugh comment on the Patriots

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
John Harbaugh calls out Pats
2:33PM ET
John Harbaugh | Ravens

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said on 97.9 FM Baltimore Tuesday that the New England Patriots' titles under Bill Belichick were "stained" and get an "asterisk" due to Spygate.

"In the end, everything is brought before the light of day, when it's all said and done," Harbaugh said. "What happens, even the thing in New England, no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now. It's been stained."

Later in the day, Harbaugh tried to clarify his comments via a written statement:

"My reference was to the perception out there that came as the result of the league's actions," Harbaugh said. "I could have been more clear that I was referring to those viewpoints. I totally believe that the Patriot and Saint coaches and players earned those championships. Bill [Belichick] and Sean [Payton] both know that."

ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley agrees that the Pats' successes will always be questioned due to Spygate, but he doesn't think Harbaugh is the right person to be discussing it publicly:

- Tom Carpenter​

Jamison Hensley
Harbaugh was wrong to call out Belichick

"This shows a lack of loyalty on Harbaugh's part. Some people in the Ravens' organization believe Belichick played a key role in Harbaugh becoming the Ravens' head coach. After the Ravens fired coach Brian Billick in 2009, owner Steve Bisciotti called Belichick to ask him about Harbaugh, who was considered the dark horse in the team's coaching search. Belichick spoke glowingly of Harbaugh, who share similar backgrounds. Belichick's coaching roots also started on special teams. If someone gives you an important pat on the back, why would you punch them in the gut? The Patriots' championships could very well be 'stained' for many people, but this quote stands out as a black eye for Harbaugh. He wasn't even asked about the Patriots in the interview. The question was about the New Orleans Saints and cheating in the NFL in general. Harbaugh was the one who directed his answer at the Patriots. This is the sore spot in Belichick's coaching past. He was fined $500,000 and the Patriots were stripped of a first-round pick. The last person to bring this up should be Harbaugh."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Harbaugh | Ravens

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said on 97.9 FM Baltimore Tuesday that the New England Patriots' titles under Bill Belichick were "stained" and get an "asterisk" due to Spygate.

"In the end, everything is brought before the light of day, when it's all said and done," Harbaugh said. "What happens, even the thing in New England, no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now. It's been stained."

Later in the day, Harbaugh tried to clarify his comments via a written statement:

"My reference was to the perception out there that came as the result of the league's actions," Harbaugh said. "I could have been more clear that I was referring to those viewpoints. I totally believe that the Patriot and Saint coaches and players earned those championships. Bill [Belichick] and Sean [Payton] both know that."

ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley agrees that the Pats' successes will always be questioned due to Spygate, but he doesn't think Harbaugh is the right person to be discussing it publicly:

- Tom Carpenter​

Jamison Hensley
Harbaugh was wrong to call out Belichick

"This shows a lack of loyalty on Harbaugh's part. Some people in the Ravens' organization believe Belichick played a key role in Harbaugh becoming the Ravens' head coach. After the Ravens fired coach Brian Billick in 2009, owner Steve Bisciotti called Belichick to ask him about Harbaugh, who was considered the dark horse in the team's coaching search. Belichick spoke glowingly of Harbaugh, who share similar backgrounds. Belichick's coaching roots also started on special teams. If someone gives you an important pat on the back, why would you punch them in the gut? The Patriots' championships could very well be 'stained' for many people, but this quote stands out as a black eye for Harbaugh. He wasn't even asked about the Patriots in the interview. The question was about the New Orleans Saints and cheating in the NFL in general. Harbaugh was the one who directed his answer at the Patriots. This is the sore spot in Belichick's coaching past. He was fined $500,000 and the Patriots were stripped of a first-round pick. The last person to bring this up should be Harbaugh."

Ehh, if you do something bad, you deserve every bit of criticism from anybody who isn't guilty of the same. From the league, the media, the coaches, your son. Heck, even the guilty can tell others not to do it because they learned it wasn't right. Unless Belicheck got him the job when he didn't deserve it by saying glowing things that weren't true, then I don't see this as preventing Harbaugh from speaking his mind, making analogies to a question that clearly includes other cheats. The Saints cheated, the question was about cheating, the Patriots cheated, Harbaugh put two and two together. Maybe Harbaugh would be better suited not to bring it up, but why the criticism for it. Someone scratches your back so you turn a blind eye to that person's transgressions? He didn't need to bring it up, but the fact that he did means that it was on his mind, what's wrong with that if it's relevant and correct? What's with all this defense of the guilty? Note: I didn't say "defense of the accused."

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is absolutely nothing to this. Everybody knows what happened, Harbaugh mentioning it is not a big deal. Media just trying to start a little circus.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
John Harbaugh | Ravens

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said on 97.9 FM Baltimore Tuesday that the New England Patriots' titles under Bill Belichick were "stained" and get an "asterisk" due to Spygate.[/I]

Finally someone says this publicly! Good for you John Harbaugh. He's one of the only people who didn't circle the cheater wagon.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jamison Hensley must be a Patriots fan on the low:spy:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jamison Hensley must be a Patriots fan on the low:spy:

Unfortunately he's like most people in the league who, for some reason, want to sweep this under the rug. The fact remains the Patriots, who won 3 SBs by a FG each time, CHEATED. That is a fact. So their legacy is tainted. That's why I never include Brady in conversations of the all time greats. You can't really compare his postseason legacy because the Pats cheated.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People(people in the pats organization and fans) are taking the quote out of context and taking it as an attack. All he's been saying is cheating isnt worth it because people will always hold it against you, like many do against the pats superbowls.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People(people in the pats organization and fans) are taking the quote out of context and taking it as an attack. All he's been saying is cheating isnt worth it because people will always hold it against you, like many do against the pats superbowls.

Exactly!

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is it me, or are all of the former Patriot players working for ESPN getting a little old with their constant defense of that organization. I understant that was your employer for many years and there may be a sense of loyalty, but come on, you are now a journalist and part of journalism is objectivity. Be it Teddy Brewski (sp) or Harrison or Willie McGinnes (sp), it seems that they can't wait to attack anyone that doesn't bow to the patriots. This even includes current players like Welker trying to get a long term deal and McGinnes is critical of him. It really is getting a little old.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Is it me, or are all of the former Patriot players working for ESPN getting a little old with their constant defense of that organization. I understant that was your employer for many years and there may be a sense of loyalty, but come on, you are now a journalist and part of journalism is objectivity. Be it Teddy Brewski (sp) or Harrison or Willie McGinnes (sp), it seems that they can't wait to attack anyone that doesn't bow to the patriots. This even includes current players like Welker trying to get a long term deal and McGinnes is critical of him. It really is getting a little old.

Calling them journalists is like calling someone in p0rn an actor. You're not going to get objectivity from these guys.

They love to point out that the Pats have kept winning, and therefore spygate didn't have any affect. Clearly they were good anyway. What stupid reasoning! Nobody questions the Pats would've been good anyway. They question whether or not they would've been AS good as they were. These guys need to go take up shuffle board.