• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Mixon extended

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad they got this done. Let’s play football.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was injured.
He was suffering from headaches, IIRC - but of course, if this has been in the works, it could have been part of how he just chose to handle it until it got finalized.

Eitherway, he's back on the field today - and I think that it's a good extension. You can usually get through a rookie deal and 1 extension on a RB before you have to start looking at replacing that position. Just isn't what it used to be - and the money involved generally isn't worth it with how the game is set up nowdays.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was suffering from headaches, IIRC - but of course, if this has been in the works, it could have been part of how he just chose to handle it until it got finalized.

Eitherway, he's back on the field today - and I think that it's a good extension. You can usually get through a rookie deal and 1 extension on a RB before you have to start looking at replacing that position. Just isn't what it used to be - and the money involved generally isn't worth it with how the game is set up nowdays.

I agree. This is it for him.... He'll burn himself up for four years and if he's like other folks at the position he probably won't have much left.

Kudos to the Bengals for building a base of players. Mixon had a highly publicized, and inexcusable event to start his college career, but he's been a leader here.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. This is it for him.... He'll burn himself up for four years and if he's like other folks at the position he probably won't have much left.

Kudos to the Bengals for building a base of players. Mixon had a highly publicized, and inexcusable event to start his college career, but he's been a leader here.
There have been many things the Bengals have not done well over the years, but giving fair value to their drafted players is not one of them. They consistently sign players to fair deals to keep them in Cincinnati far more often than not.

Now, if they would just continue this past off-seasons' trend of spending to fill in the gaps where they miss on drafting, they'd be in a situation to compete more often than not.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been many things the Bengals have not done well over the years, but giving fair value to their drafted players is not one of them. They consistently sign players to fair deals to keep them in Cincinnati far more often than not.

Now, if they would just continue this past off-seasons' trend of spending to fill in the gaps where they miss on drafting, they'd be in a situation to compete more often than not.

Maybe. There are many times these free agent contracts come back to bite you in the ass, whether it be from a player who looked great on one team, but fails to produce on their new team due to environment, players surrounding them, coaches, scheme, etc. You just never know what you are going to get out of a guy once he moves on from his team he earned that pay day from.

I think that is what Mike Brown sees also, you know what you have with your own guys, so he would rather pay them than unload on a free agent that you are gambling big time on to reproduce in a new system and city. I am not opposed to the right guy in the right position, but I would rather we do what we have been doing over the years and pay our own reasonable contracts that keeps both together through the duration of the contract, versus the contract becoming a noose and the franchise having to break the contract, or use the OUT in the contract to rid themselves of the burden.

Now, I do believe free agency is important, and some guys are worth the money, but almost NEVER is the top free agents worth the money they sign for with new teams. The production just never meets the salary.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. There are many times these free agent contracts come back to bite you in the ass, whether it be from a player who looked great on one team, but fails to produce on their new team due to environment, players surrounding them, coaches, scheme, etc. You just never know what you are going to get out of a guy once he moves on from his team he earned that pay day from.

I think that is what Mike Brown sees also, you know what you have with your own guys, so he would rather pay them than unload on a free agent that you are gambling big time on to reproduce in a new system and city. I am not opposed to the right guy in the right position, but I would rather we do what we have been doing over the years and pay our own reasonable contracts that keeps both together through the duration of the contract, versus the contract becoming a noose and the franchise having to break the contract, or use the OUT in the contract to rid themselves of the burden.

Now, I do believe free agency is important, and some guys are worth the money, but almost NEVER is the top free agents worth the money they sign for with new teams. The production just never meets the salary.
Agreed. By no means am I saying they should go out there every year and "win" the free agency period. But, they also have a history of scrapping the bottom of the barrel as well. If you can find 1, or 2, good/solid free agents a year to replace some holes, or backup gaps in case of injury they should absolutely look at it. Should they be dropping 150MM a year like they did this off-season, no - of course not.

It's a bit of a matching game. When there have been needs, the Bengals far too often have gone the cheap route, and that has killed this defense over the past 2-3+ years. LineBacker immediately comes to mind - as well as depth at DT and secondary and offensive line. Again, they don't need to get those top tier guys every year - but they do need to find serviceable guys, and not end of their career, career backup guys who make league minimum.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch the fever!

oh shit...just realized our old slogan might not be appropriate this year.