• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Burrow the Competitor

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to see the Bengals taste a little bit of victory. given his college career, I wouldn't expect any less than a mean competitive streak.

He's a big name player who's played in big games. that kind of experience is rare in a rookie QB.

Still, I'm jaded enough to expect he'll be bengalized or demand a trade in a number of years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like about Burrow is that he's got that streak in him, but is calm, cool, and collective with it. He's not belittling anyone, or throwing guys under the bus (see, Mayfield, Baker). It can be the difference between getting your team to that next level, or stalling out despite some talent around you. I really think that is one of the main issues in Cleveland - Baker is a natural leader kind of guy, but there are still too many immature instances that drive people away from completely buying into him. He could get away with that in college, as most superior players do, but in the NFL, especially as a rookie, even at QB, you have to earn that ability.

Burrow doesn't seem to have that issue at the college level, and I don't expect him to have this issue at the NFL level.

As long as the OL continues to upgrade, and another pass-catcher is added somewhere (either TE, or another WR) - I think he'll be set up to do well. Also, and improved OL would go a long way for Mixon to do even better, and help to take a lot of pressure off Burrow.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naysayers will say he was a system guy with only one terrific year. But, he played the system that was given to him and he was amazing in his role. He showed up at LSU with only a few weeks of practice and played well enough in an old, broken offensive system. After an offseason overhaul with new coaching, he soared.His accuracy and poise in the pocket were off the charts last year. I'm almost 100% sure he'll have success in the NFL.... I see a very low potential for busting. Whether that means he is a top 5 guy or a top 20 guy is a huge span..... I'm not sure anyone could be confident enough to make that call. But I like his chances.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see a very low potential for busting. Whether that means he is a top 5 guy or a top 20 guy is a huge span..... I'm not sure anyone could be confident enough to make that call. But I like his chances.

What makes it even trickier with QBs is they're so dependent on their surroundings.

The perception of Roethlisberger is that he's an elite, 1st ballot HOF while Matt Stafford is considered slightly above average. If Stafford landed with one of the best run franchises and Roethlisberger one of the worst I think the career narrative for each guy might be reversed.

Drew Brees was a good QB in SD and in NO in a dome with the right system and coaching staff he's a GOAT.

Since I started following the draft Peyton Manning is the only QB that would have been at the same greatness level no matter where he landed imo.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching as much Burrow video as I can to get pumped for him to be a Bengal. His interviews are excellent, he is intelligent, he is fun to listen to. I don't know the last time we had a QB I actually enjoyed listening to in interviews. Dalton was a yes man, and Palmer was kinda like Marvin, didn't give you anything. I just didn't see much charisma from any of them. I can honestly say I never really got to watch much interviews before Palmer, because all t he interviewing I have watched has been replays from press conferences on the Internet. I am sure Boomer was probably a pretty good interview. I loved his leadership, and that is what I am seeing out of Burrow. Their ability to boost the guys around them, make guys fight for them, let them know, we got this, just do your job, and I will do mine, and we will get this done.

He is a straight up winner, but he h as experienced adversity, so he knows what it is to have to fight and overcome. He is not one of these 5 star prospects that is just given everything on a silver platter and had only success (Lawrence, Trevor - even though I think he can be great), but Burrow has seen all levels of success and disappointment, endured, and overcome.

He is ready for this level, and I know it will take a minute to get adjusted to NFL defenses and speed, he seems like a guy who is best suited to figure it out and excel in the NFL over a 15 year career.

Just as a side note, Tua had a 13 on his Wonderlic last year and improved to 19 this year, 20 being average. Burrow scored 2nd highest this year, 34, just behind Fromm who scored a 35. So there are a few more brains packed in there as well versus going with the more natural athlete in Tua who is always hurt.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes it even trickier with QBs is they're so dependent on their surroundings.

The perception of Roethlisberger is that he's an elite, 1st ballot HOF while Matt Stafford is considered slightly above average. If Stafford landed with one of the best run franchises and Roethlisberger one of the worst I think the career narrative for each guy might be reversed.

Drew Brees was a good QB in SD and in NO in a dome with the right system and coaching staff he's a GOAT.

Since I started following the draft Peyton Manning is the only QB that would have been at the same greatness level no matter where he landed imo.

I think Rogers might have the skills to be good no matter where he played.... And you can really make an argument that his talent was wasted by mismanagement from Mike McCarthy. I also wonder about Russel Wilson - I don't think he's one of the top 3, but he's a top 10 guy and his skills are unique. I think he'd probably be about the same in most situations.

But to your larger point, I totally agree. I think that's why it's hard to figure where a guy will land based on his talent/potential alone. Even Dalton had several top 15 and maybe one or two top 10 years as a qb.... And his talent/potential wouldn't have suggested that trajectory for him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rogers might have the skills to be good no matter where he played.... And you can really make an argument that his talent was wasted by mismanagement from Mike McCarthy. I also wonder about Russel Wilson - I don't think he's one of the top 3, but he's a top 10 guy and his skills are unique. I think he'd probably be about the same in most situations.

But to your larger point, I totally agree. I think that's why it's hard to figure where a guy will land based on his talent/potential alone. Even Dalton had several top 15 and maybe one or two top 10 years as a qb.... And his talent/potential wouldn't have suggested that trajectory for him.

I think some of this is true. However, take any of these guys and they experience a ton of adversity and no success for several years. do they develop into the confident QB's they become to overcome adversity later on which makes them great QB?

Or are they completely independent from the situation, and their success is solely their success in a team driven sport?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I completely agree on Rodgers that he's so talented in his prime he succeeds anywhere but I don't remember him as a legendary thrower of the football in college. He improved as much physically during his time on the bench behind Favre as anyone I've seen.

Wilson would be good anywhere but hes never been a guy who threw for 5000 yds or led top 3 offenses so without Lynch and an elite defense early in his career he might not have won big.

All these guys are great but Manning stands out to me as the one surefire HOFer wherever he landed

I'm also not on board with the idea Burrow can't be great here. He can be great but a lot will depend on the job Taylor does and if Burrow's skills transition to the NFL.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree on Rodgers that he's so talented in his prime he succeeds anywhere but I don't remember him as a legendary thrower of the football in college. He improved as much physically during his time on the bench behind Favre as anyone I've seen.

Wilson would be good anywhere but hes never been a guy who threw for 5000 yds or led top 3 offenses so without Lynch and an elite defense early in his career he might not have won big.

All these guys are great but Manning stands out to me as the one surefire HOFer wherever he landed

I'm also not on board with the idea Burrow can't be great here. He can be great but a lot will depend on the job Taylor does and if Burrow's skills transition to the NFL.

I think if Taylor is as smart as everyone says he is, then he will be overhauling the offense to make Joe as comfortable as he can be on the field. By doing this, he can focus a little more on game calling and management because he will have his offensive coordinator and Joe basically reading the defense on the field and calling the play at the line like Manning did. Give Joe the freedom to be the commander, and let him decide split second what will be the best play.

The more comfortable Joe is, the better the offense will run. It is all about a QB. The WR's catch balls and run routes, the RB runs t he ball and helps pass protect. The QB has to worry about everything. Make him the most comfortable and everyone else around him will succeed.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think if Taylor is as smart as everyone says he is, then he will be overhauling the offense to make Joe as comfortable as he can be on the field. By doing this, he can focus a little more on game calling and management because he will have his offensive coordinator and Joe basically reading the defense on the field and calling the play at the line like Manning did. Give Joe the freedom to be the commander, and let him decide split second what will be the best play.

The more comfortable Joe is, the better the offense will run. It is all about a QB. The WR's catch balls and run routes, the RB runs t he ball and helps pass protect. The QB has to worry about everything. Make him the most comfortable and everyone else around him will succeed.

Taylor's a young offensive minded HC and also a former D1 QB so I'd imagine he's flexible and willing to cater to a QBs individual skillset.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's just trying to fill the endless void of cable tv amidst the absence of active competition.

any journalist that knows anything can remember when:

1. Mike Brown was offered a butt load of picks from the Saints to draft Akili Smith
2. Mike Brown traded up in the draft to get Ki Jana Carter.

so, Mike brown puts high values on top draft picks, and he puts and even higher value on the #1 draft pick. Mike Brown historically puts high value on quarterbacks, and has been quoted as such several times.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope springs eternal

new coach, new QB, how about we swap out the orange rat in the WH

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the day of the draft and Florio is still in on a potential narrative where Burrow isn't a Bengal. He's been vocally campaigning against this pick for months. Does he know something nobody else in the media seems to know?

Will the Dolphins make the Bengals an offer they can't refuse? - ProFootballTalk

Shefter is already reporting the Bengals contacted Burrow and told him he will be their pick tonight. It is also reported the Dolphins tried one more ditch effort to trade with the Bengals for the #1 pick and was outright rejected saying they are not moving. I think Burrow becomes a Bengal almost immediately after the Bengals wind up on the clock. They make their pick of Burrow and they are done for the night. 20 minutes of work, pack it in for the night, good job boys.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's just trying to fill the endless void of cable tv amidst the absence of active competition.

any journalist that knows anything can remember when:

1. Mike Brown was offered a butt load of picks from the Saints to draft Akili Smith
2. Mike Brown traded up in the draft to get Ki Jana Carter.

so, Mike brown puts high values on top draft picks, and he puts and even higher value on the #1 draft pick. Mike Brown historically puts high value on quarterbacks, and has been quoted as such several times.

of course, my syntax is a little mixed up.
for #1, Mike Ditka offered Mike Brown a lot of picks for the #3 overall, which Mike Brown refused. Mike Brown then used the pick to draft Akili Smith, whom the Bengals would eventually label "stupid" and blame for their failures.

glad we have a legitimate prospect as QB1 that doesn't hate Ohio.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid is gonna be so good until the Steelers injure him. When you watch this soap so many times you know whats gonna happen. Hopefully the script gets changed. Good luck Bengals.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course, my syntax is a little mixed up.
for #1, Mike Ditka offered Mike Brown a lot of picks for the #3 overall, which Mike Brown refused. Mike Brown then used the pick to draft Akili Smith, whom the Bengals would eventually label "stupid" and blame for their failures.

glad we have a legitimate prospect as QB1 that doesn't hate Ohio.

There was a really good article some time ago on Akili - an interview with him - on basically how he screwed everything up from the moment he got drafted. There were many weekends where he would fly to Vegas on Friday, and return Saturday night before the game. He admitted that once he got drafted, and paid, he thought he had made it and 100% stopped working.

It's a shame, because the physical tools were there. I don't think he's anywhere near the class of Burrow - but the kid had a great arm, and solid mobility, but came from a more spread offense to the Bengals who didn't do that at the time, and then of course add in not studying etc..etc...

Anyway, the article was really good, and great insight to what he admits to as his failures in not fulfilling his potential as an NFL QB. Not saying he would have been great or anything, but certainly would have been nice to see him putting in the work/effort.

I don't think the Bengals are going to have to worry about that with Burrow. The kid is driven to work, and win.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
financial education is important for young players.

it should be required.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
financial education is important for young players.

it should be required.
Absolutely. When meeting with players, if i were a coach/owner/GM, it would be something I ask every kid via draft or F/A. What are you plans with your money? Do you plan on investing in the future? Will you hire a financial planner?

I would also make one available for the team and have each player at least meet with them a few times a year. It's really sad to see the stories of some of these players who come from nothing, make millions of dollars, and then end up broken and broke after their playing careers (all sports).

It's really kind of sad that stories like Rob Gronkowski are far and few between - where guys come into the league and don't even touch their money from the NFL, but live off other endorsements and things. I know not every player has that option - but the fact that many of these players get that first check and buy a Million dollar house/Car/etc...is just flat out stupid. They work so hard for nearly 20-some years to make this money - and in 5-6 years (or less on average) they are out of the league - and wondering where all that money is that they worked so hard for - instead of being able to live off that money.