• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmie Ward and the CBs

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, VERY interesting.

if this is true - and i have no reason to say otherwise - then Ward is limited to being a Safety. If he cannot cover - we don't quite know to what extent yet - then opponents will force him to cover, even at Safety.

Because of these limitations, it appears Baalke made poor use of that draft pick. So not that Ward can't be useful or isn't good at anything, but he was drafted too high.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We're going to have to wait and see. If Ward becomes a starting safety at some point in the next couple years, then it's not a poor pick IMO. If we truly drafted him just to play slot corner, and he can't hang at that spot, then he wasn't a very good pick.

I'm interested to see Ward continue to develop. He had one absolutely brutal game, but after that he wasn't bad. Take away the Bears game (I can't recall if Marshall's two other catches or three targets that weren't catches were against Ward or not, so I'm not going to count them), he allowed 15 completions and one more TD. I can live with those numbers. That said, I'm really, really interested to see what Reaser can bring to the table.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting if true that Ward is poor at man coverage. Hard to figure how that could work as a slot cornerback. Reaser intrigues me the most. He has been getting rave reviews so far. Aker looked good in preseason last year before getting hurt, so he will be one to watch also

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, VERY interesting.

if this is true - and i have no reason to say otherwise - then Ward is limited to being a Safety. If he cannot cover - we don't quite know to what extent yet - then opponents will force him to cover, even at Safety.

Because of these limitations, it appears Baalke made poor use of that draft pick. So not that Ward can't be useful or isn't good at anything, but he was drafted too high.

That could end being the case. We now have Tartt too. Not sure how this is all going to fit

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We're going to have to wait and see. If Ward becomes a starting safety at some point in the next couple years, then it's not a poor pick IMO. If we truly drafted him just to play slot corner, and he can't hang at that spot, then he wasn't a very good pick.

I'm interested to see Ward continue to develop. He had one absolutely brutal game, but after that he wasn't bad. Take away the Bears game (I can't recall if Marshall's two other catches or three targets that weren't catches were against Ward or not, so I'm not going to count them), he allowed 15 completions and one more TD. I can live with those numbers. That said, I'm really, really interested to see what Reaser can bring to the table.

but like i said, even if he's a starting Safety next year, opponents will force him to cover. yeah, we'll see how his coverage skills develop, cause it has to be 'average' at minimum.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting if true that Ward is poor at man coverage. Hard to figure how that could work as a slot cornerback. Reaser intrigues me the most. He has been getting rave reviews so far. Aker looked good in preseason last year before getting hurt, so he will be one to watch also

yes, the slot is mainly coverage so your scouting must've told you he can cover? If that is his weakspot, then he was drafted too high. Again, not saying he is worthless or a bust, but he was drafted too high.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
but like i said, even if he's a starting Safety next year, opponents will force him to cover. yeah, we'll see how his coverage skills develop, cause it has to be 'average' at minimum.

They'll have a hard time forcing him to cover WRs in pure one-on-one situations. Lots of safeties around the league struggle to do that but are still very good players.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They'll have a hard time forcing him to cover WRs in pure one-on-one situations. Lots of safeties around the league struggle to do that but are still very good players.

yes, Ward can still be used on most defensive plays, so again, not saying he is "worthless". But IF he has a bog weakness in coverage, he can be easily exploited. If he can be easily exploited, then we was drafted too high.

We can wait and see how his coverage improves, his injury likely made it worse.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, Ward can still be used on most defensive plays, so again, not saying he is "worthless". But IF he has a bog weakness in coverage, he can be easily exploited. If he can be easily exploited, then we was drafted too high.

We can wait and see how his coverage improves, his injury likely made it worse.

The gauge for "good coverage skills" when discussing slot CBs is dramatically different than when discussing it for safeties. In theory at least, slot corner is the position that requires the best man-coverage skills on the field, as the slot receiver has free rein to go pretty much anywhere while outside receivers are limited by the sideline. I don't think many safeties - even very good coverage safeties like, say, Eric Reid - could hold up regularly covering the slot receiver. It would be great if Ward can do it, but it's not a death sentence for his career if he can't. Far from it. Though at present, both starting safety spots are occupied, which may limit his efficacy.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, the slot is mainly coverage so your scouting must've told you he can cover? If that is his weakspot, then he was drafted too high. Again, not saying he is worthless or a bust, but he was drafted too high.

The concensous by the " experts " was that Ward was a reach when the 49ers drafted him. We'll see what happens.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gauge for "good coverage skills" when discussing slot CBs is dramatically different than when discussing it for safeties. In theory at least, slot corner is the position that requires the best man-coverage skills on the field, as the slot receiver has free rein to go pretty much anywhere while outside receivers are limited by the sideline. I don't think many safeties - even very good coverage safeties like, say, Eric Reid - could hold up regularly covering the slot receiver. It would be great if Ward can do it, but it's not a death sentence for his career if he can't. Far from it. Though at present, both starting safety spots are occupied, which may limit his efficacy.

Add Tartt to the mix and it appears to be a crowded field

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Add Tartt to the mix and it appears to be a crowded field

It is. I think we'll see a fair bit of dime this year, which we almost never saw with Willis and Bowman both healthy. We'll use more DBs, but it's still likely a high pick will be on the bench basically at all times.