• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Covert Selected to Pro Football HOF

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they'll both get in eventually.

They both meet the criteria.

I don't know. Each only got named an all-pro one time by the same associated press. Kruetz has a better shot, IMO. He was one of the best O-lineman in the game for a while. Briggs is considered by many to have been the product of playing next to Urlacher. I don't know if he ever proved himself to be a truly elite LB'er. Never was a lead man on a D.

He has a lot of tackles. But as knowledge of the game advances with analytics. We're finding out that pure raw tackle totals are a bit overvalued.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Each only got named an all-pro one time by the same associated press. Kruetz has a better shot, IMO. He was one of the best O-lineman in the game for a while. Briggs is considered by many to have been the product of playing next to Urlacher. I don't know if he ever proved himself to be a truly elite LB'er. Never was a lead man on a D.

He has a lot of tackles. But as knowledge of the game advances with analytics. We're finding out that pure raw tackle totals are a bit overvalued.

Briggs was one of the best at his position for decade. One of the best 4-3 outside LBs of all-time IMHumbleO. The raw tackles stuff is nonsense.

The only comparison to really draw from is Derrick Brooks. Briggs' career was certainly shorter, (51 games to be exact) but his stat lines stand up IMO

DB: 25 INTs, 6TDs, 24FF, 4FR, 1FRTD, 13.5 SCKs...7 total TDs

LB: 16INTs, 5TDs, 16FF, 7FR, 1FRTD, 15 SCKs...6 total TDs

Tackles are 1713 for Brooks and 944 for Briggs.

He should be in, IMO.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats Jimbo................I always thought he should get in,not sure why it took so long.

Another 80s Bear o-lineman that I always thought justice was due is Jay Hilgenberg..........
7 straight Probowls with 2 All-Pros...........

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was one of the best at his position for decade. One of the best 4-3 outside LBs of all-time IMHumbleO. The raw tackles stuff is nonsense.

The only comparison to really draw from is Derrick Brooks. Briggs' career was certainly shorter, (51 games to be exact) but his stat lines stand up IMO

DB: 25 INTs, 6TDs, 24FF, 4FR, 1FRTD, 13.5 SCKs...7 total TDs

LB: 16INTs, 5TDs, 16FF, 7FR, 1FRTD, 15 SCKs...6 total TDs

Tackles are 1713 for Brooks and 944 for Briggs.

He should be in, IMO.

INT's, TD's, FF's, FR's and sacks as best measuring sticks for OLB's? That sounds closer to measuring sticks for DB's. Outside of sacks, obviously. But neither were pass rushers. Little more than one sack per year each.

What's their tackles for loss (TFL) numbers? I would like to see that.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
INT's, TD's, FF's, FR's and sacks as best measuring sticks for OLB's? That sounds closer to measuring sticks for DB's. Outside of sacks, obviously. But neither were pass rushers. Little more than one sack per year each.

What's their tackles for loss (TFL) numbers? I would like to see that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but which stats would you like me to show? You really gonna say that fucking TFL's is the determining factor? Do you really think there's gonna be some huge disparity there, given the other lines being so close?

I mean, I'd like to see those stats too, but nobody has them, cuz nobody fucking cares.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was good...Derrick Brooks was considerably better though...and that's me putting in all the bias I possibly can.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs was good...Derrick Brooks was considerably better though...and that's me putting in all the bias I possibly can.

I don't know that he was THAT much better.

He was certainly more durable.

Brooks set the standard for the position. A standard that Briggs followed pretty closely.

Games played considered, their lines are near identical, with Briggs on a better pace in a few categories.