• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jets win could hurt Bengals

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is now possible, the Jags would take Lawrence, and the Jets not feeling the Fields pick, would go with Sewell to protect Darnold.

If this is the case, we have to go Ja'Marr Chase.

In my opinion, you go Sewell if he is there, if not, you got get the playmaker Chase and reunite him and Burrow with AJ Green and John Ross leaving town.

Then hope like hell you can fix the OL with the #2 pick and free agency.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is now possible, the Jags would take Lawrence, and the Jets not feeling the Fields pick, would go with Sewell to protect Darnold.

In my opinion, you go Sewell if he is there, if not, you got get the playmaker Chase and reunite him and Burrow with AJ Green and John Ross leaving town.

there really is no possibility to that... why would there have been any difference between the Jags picking Fields at 2 vs the Jets drafting him at 2??

remember, that there should be a totally new coaching regime....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IF that happens, I think you go with the next most dominant player at his position: Kyle Pitts. You talk about mismatches - this kid is a STUD at TE. Could you imagine Burrow throwing to Higgins, Boyd, and Pitts eating up the middle? MAN - OH - MAN!

You also could still end up with some really good WR's - but you also need OL - in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I like Chase - I love Pitts. And I hate UF - so....

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the TE at 3 before I took a receiver.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you could have a bidding war for Justin Fields between Atlanta and Carolina at that point?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you could have a bidding war for Justin Fields between Atlanta and Carolina at that point?

Yeah, I definitely think there would be a market for that 3rd pick if Fields were sitting there. And I would strongly favor trading out if Sewell was gone.

Reactions: gob

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF that happens, I think you go with the next most dominant player at his position: Kyle Pitts. You talk about mismatches - this kid is a STUD at TE. Could you imagine Burrow throwing to Higgins, Boyd, and Pitts eating up the middle? MAN - OH - MAN!

You also could still end up with some really good WR's - but you also need OL - in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I like Chase - I love Pitts. And I hate UF - so....
Chase is considered the next great WR. A guy in the Julio Jones, AJ Green expectation range. Plus, he has chemistry with Burrow already. Burrow is a WR thrower anyways. A majority of his throws go to WR's.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - How fucking stupid are the Jets? They have a chance at a generational talent at QB. They should have fired Gase when they fired Gregg Williams.... Replaced him with a company man that promised he wouldn't win. Bench Darnold, play out the string with as much crap on the field as possible. Anything to get Trevor Lawrence.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there really is no possibility to that... why would there have been any difference between the Jags picking Fields at 2 vs the Jets drafting him at 2??

remember, that there should be a totally new coaching regime....
Because I don't see Fields being consistent, and may not be that great of an NFL player. He very well could be, but he is not considered that generational talent. Sewell is considered that too at his position. So with several QB's going to be FA again this next offseason, do the Jets go with a more seasoned QB, start building a team around a future pick at QB? I mean, Lawrence was the pick, but now, not sure if Fields is the guy. The Jags don't throw money around like the Jets, so going after a QB at pick #2 was a chance they had to take on Fields. The Jets may feel they can spend some money or tank again with another stooge at QB to keep building stock in their drafts. That kid from Alabama may be available with the 1st overall pick next year also, and you have a generational LT protecting his blindside in Sewell. If the Jets are serious about winning in the future, since they already F'd the Lawrence pick up, it would be Sewell and then rebuild the roster with young talent that probably will take some time to get sea legs, basically assuring them the #1 pick next year for the Alabama QB.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase is considered the next great WR. A guy in the Julio Jones, AJ Green expectation range. Plus, he has chemistry with Burrow already. Burrow is a WR thrower anyways. A majority of his throws go to WR's.

I'm not comfortable taking a receiver in the top 5 that probably isn't even 6 foot tall and doesn't run all that fast.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I don't see Fields being consistent, and may not be that great of an NFL player. He very well could be, but he is not considered that generational talent. Sewell is considered that too at his position. So with several QB's going to be FA again this next offseason, do the Jets go with a more seasoned QB, start building a team around a future pick at QB? I mean, Lawrence was the pick, but now, not sure if Fields is the guy. The Jags don't throw money around like the Jets, so going after a QB at pick #2 was a chance they had to take on Fields. The Jets may feel they can spend some money or tank again with another stooge at QB to keep building stock in their drafts. That kid from Alabama may be available with the 1st overall pick next year also, and you have a generational LT protecting his blindside in Sewell. If the Jets are serious about winning in the future, since they already F'd the Lawrence pick up, it would be Sewell and then rebuild the roster with young talent that probably will take some time to get sea legs, basically assuring them the #1 pick next year for the Alabama QB.

But how did the Jets losing make you change your mind about him not being drafted 2nd?? if he wasn't that good then why would Jacksonville of drafted him when they had the spot??

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I actually see that. I think he has a chance to be really good - but I don't think he's the next AJ or Julio. I think that is a stretch. Not to mention, AJ and Julio are both several inches taller along with their all-world speed (well, at one point) and catch radius.

The other thing to me is that they already have Boyd and Higgins, and Tate. All who are pretty good WR's, and it's much easier to find WR's, IMO, than it is to find a guy like Pitts.

And, FWIW - Burrow had a pretty nice rapport going on with Sample - so he will use the TE - especially if you get a talent like Pitts.

But, let's be honest - we all hope it's Sewell. I mean, if he's there - that is the pick 100 times out of 100.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not comfortable taking a receiver in the top 5 that probably isn't even 6 foot tall and doesn't run all that fast.
And I understand the "take the best player" approach, but there is something to be said about finding a balance between the pick and the roster to an extent.

With Boyd and Higgins in the fold - Pitt immediate upgrades the TE room. You can find another WR much, MUCH easier than you can find a TE.

And again - if Sewell is there - he's the pick 100 times out of 100. It is the perfect match between talent and roster need.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone might trade up.

that might wreck our draft plans; however, maybe the team that trades up trades with us and we can fill multiple holes with the draft.

oh wait, how involved is Mike Brown?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The Jets picked Mekhi Becton in the first round last year and he's the most promising player on their roster. That's the one position I'd be shocked to see them go in the first rd. Sewell should still be there if they don't trade the pick.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets picked Mekhi Becton in the first round last year and he's the most promising player on their roster. That's the one position I'd be shocked to see them go in the first rd. Sewell should still be there if they don't trade the pick.

I agree. LT is like the only position that is good for them.
if they don’t want Fields or another QB, theyll trade #2 to someone who does.
Don’t forget, they already have a second first round pick (Seattle) So they will have three pics in the top 34 as of now. They could decide to just keep Darnold and just draft players to put around him.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. LT is like the only position that is good for them.
if they don’t want Fields or another QB, theyll trade #2 to someone who does.
Don’t forget, they already have a second first round pick (Seattle) So they will have three pics in the top 34 as of now. They could decide to just keep Darnold and just draft players to put around him.

I agree. I think Bengals fans are overly paranoid about losing out on Sewell. The Jets were a **** hair away from 0-16. They have holes everywhere. They need talent at just about every position group of their football team. If they miss out on Lawrence, I think they trade down. I can’t see them double dipping at LT after taking Becton the year prior.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta is more likely to trade back than they are up. A new QB doesn't really fix anything for them. Need pass rush, RB, another CB and OL.

I get the OPs point though. Jags are going QB for sure. We don't know that about the Jets. Theres a possibility they may love Lawrence but just like Fields. In which case they may just keep Darnold

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's a ton of paranoia - it's just that the parameters have changed a bit and there is an unknown after the Jags slid into the #1 spot.

I think, for me, the more I think about it - the more I'd go Pitts at TE if Sewell isn't there. Yeah, Chase is good, but I'm not sold on him being an elite top 5 WR, and it's not like Boyd and Higgins aren't good. Adding a generational talent at TE is much harder to do than finding a good WR to slot in with Boyd and Higgins.

As my son and I were watching the game - we were talking about potential coaching moves for next year. He asked what would be my dream scenario.

I said, for Zimmer to get fired and return as DC. I'd hire Bienemy as the HC, and hire away Joe Brady as the offensive Cord to reunite him with Burrow. I'd stock up on the OL in F/A with the cap savings coming and, if I feel like we hit enough in F/A - I'd actually trade back, pass on Sewell, draft Pitts and get extra picks for it. You can then add another OL or WR with that extra pick, and spend the rest of the draft building depth.

Suddenly - you have Brady reuniting with Burrow. You have a solid OL (again, assuming that there are guys in F/A worth spending on - that remains to be seen and would obviously change the draft selection). You return Mixon and Boyd and Higgins - and Pitts on this offense....whew. Talk about an offense that has some real potential.

Again - dream scenario. Never happening.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's a ton of paranoia - it's just that the parameters have changed a bit and there is an unknown after the Jags slid into the #1 spot.

I think, for me, the more I think about it - the more I'd go Pitts at TE if Sewell isn't there. Yeah, Chase is good, but I'm not sold on him being an elite top 5 WR, and it's not like Boyd and Higgins aren't good. Adding a generational talent at TE is much harder to do than finding a good WR to slot in with Boyd and Higgins.

As my son and I were watching the game - we were talking about potential coaching moves for next year. He asked what would be my dream scenario.

I said, for Zimmer to get fired and return as DC. I'd hire Bienemy as the HC, and hire away Joe Brady as the offensive Cord to reunite him with Burrow. I'd stock up on the OL in F/A with the cap savings coming and, if I feel like we hit enough in F/A - I'd actually trade back, pass on Sewell, draft Pitts and get extra picks for it. You can then add another OL or WR with that extra pick, and spend the rest of the draft building depth.

Suddenly - you have Brady reuniting with Burrow. You have a solid OL (again, assuming that there are guys in F/A worth spending on - that remains to be seen and would obviously change the draft selection). You return Mixon and Boyd and Higgins - and Pitts on this offense....whew. Talk about an offense that has some real potential.

Again - dream scenario. Never happening.
Yeah.... Lou just earned season 3 in Bengaland.... I mean, the D frustrated Big Ben - He must be a great coordinator. You know how the organization sells this shit. Nevermind the fact that Ben is either seriously hurt or seriously old and his supporting cast blows - We beat the Steelers. That's another round for everyone.

Honestly at this point, I fully expect the entire staff - minus Jim Turner - to return. I think Duke Tobin will throw Turner in front of the bus for his poor drafting and scouting process at OL. They'll go out and get a new guy to rebuild the line next season. Lou will be given a break due to "injuries." Same excuse we always use to keep a coach one too many seasons. But if Zimmer gets fired and we dont' hire him as a DC, we're certifiably insane. The guy makes his offseason home in Kentucky.... There's a simple back-door possibility of taking over for Zac Taylor when he makes an ass of himself for the third season in a row. I think the position would be appealing for Zim.