• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerad "Eick" Eisenhower Out 6-8 Weeks- Who is our 5th Starter?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kapler's spin on this one (and I do agree with him, and while I'm not as positive about our October baseball developments as him, I love his enthusiasm):

"There might be a blessing in disguise here," Kapler said at Spectrum Field. "We're always thinking about keeping guys healthy and strong and limiting their total innings count.

"Those are things that are always on our mind, so it's possible the innings are limited on the front end and then in September, October, he's strong and healthy and prepared to go through a full season."

Immediately, that pushes Pivetta and Velasquez up in the rotation to numbers 3 and 4, and it leaves Zach Eflin, Ben Lively, Mark Leiter Jr., and Tom Eshelman for the fifth spot.

I'm liking Eshelman (23 years old) for the role. In 121 IP at AAA last year, he had a 2.23 ERA with a 3.20 FIP. He's a guy we got in the Giles trade with Houston. He doesn't strike out people very much at all (5.95 K/9 in AAA last year), but he had great control with a 0.97 BB/9. And for whatever the hell it's worth (nothing), he has only given up 1 run in 8 IP this spring (facing AA OppQual batters- I told you it was worth nothing).

I've never been huge on Eflin. Outside of a decent changeup (1.46 wCH/C for his big league career), he really has no good pitches. His fastball has enough velocity (93.4 MPH average), and he doesn't walk a whole ton of hitters, but absent any decent off-speed stuff, I'm just not seeing it. I really don't know how Lively gets anyone out (but he does- 4.26 ERA last year, good for a 98 ERA-), and Mark Leiter Jr. doesn't have his uncle's (or even probably his father's) arm.

Knowing Kap, I wouldn't be shocked if they went with Eshelman. He has the most upside of all the contenders, though his name isn't getting much traction this spring. Oh, and I just looked it up, and Eshelman isn't on the 40-man roster. So scratch him for now, and I'll guess they'll go with Eflin.