• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeopardy!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure many of you have heard about him. He's won 22 straight, averaging roughly $80,000 every night, which prior to him was the highest single day total ever. He's broken that about 10 times since he first did it.

The guy is a freakish combination of photographic memory and an apparently insatiable appetite for consuming information. There are nights his opponents barely get a chance to answer a question... he's also very fast on the buzzer.

Someone will have to get lucky to beat him. Trebek seems clearly tired of him.. he doesn't have a very likeable manner. It's brought the show a lot of attention and probably more viewers, but it's getting old fast, imo. Just wondering if anyone else is following this and what you think.

'Jeopardy' star James Holzhauer makes history with his 21st win in a row

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, I very rarely watch TV, but I actually did catch an episode of Jeopardy the other day somehow. He absolutely dominated, but he didn't seem to have any sort of personality. If they want to get him off of the show, get some country boys on there and have categories about hunting/fishing or trucks etc. He didn't strike me as a guy who would know much about that. But that won't happen. Jeopardy does too much pop culture stuff, and that seems up his alley.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure many of you have heard about him. He's won 22 straight, averaging roughly $80,000 every night, which prior to him was the highest single day total ever. He's broken that about 10 times since he first did it.

The guy is a freakish combination of photographic memory and an apparently insatiable appetite for consuming information. There are nights his opponents barely get a chance to answer a question... he's also very fast on the buzzer.

Someone will have to get lucky to beat him. Trebek seems clearly tired of him.. he doesn't have a very likeable manner. It's brought the show a lot of attention and probably more viewers, but it's getting old fast, imo. Just wondering if anyone else is following this and what you think.

Yeah, James Holzhauer is a beast, though much less likeable, IMO, than Ken Jennings.

Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter are both comparable to James Holzhauer in trivia knowledge. What's making the difference in the winnings is that Holzhauer is so much more aggressive in his wagering, which is unsurprising given that Holzhauer is a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas.

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Holzhauer setting the current single-game record of $131,127:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's actually been quite a bit of Jeopardy! news recently.

Besides Holzhauer, there was also Alex Trebek announcing his stage 4 pancreatic cancer...:

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to Ken Jennings: here is his "I for one welcome our new computer overlords" joke when he and Brad Rutter were beaten by IBM's Watson AI:

:lol:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's actually been quite a bit of Jeopardy! news recently.

Besides Holzhauer, there was also Alex Trebek announcing his cancer...:

Yes, there's that too. My wife & I were wondering last night if Holzhauer's run might hasten his retirement. He doesn't seem to be enjoying it and probably only has a couple of years left at best unfortunately. Does he want to spend what good days he has left feeding questions to this guy?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Ken Jennings "gardening tool" joke:

:lol: :laugh3:

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a few times this week, pretty amazing how this guy just thoroughly destroys his competition

He could have even set more records, but he just bets a number that honors a family member each time

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, I very rarely watch TV, but I actually did catch an episode of Jeopardy the other day somehow. He absolutely dominated, but he didn't seem to have any sort of personality. If they want to get him off of the show, get some country boys on there and have categories about hunting/fishing or trucks etc. He didn't strike me as a guy who would know much about that. But that won't happen. Jeopardy does too much pop culture stuff, and that seems up his alley.
15-celebrity-jeopardy-feature-lede.w512.h600.2x.jpg

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a few times this week, pretty amazing how this guy just thoroughly destroys his competition

He could have even set more records, but he just bets a number that honors a family member each time

That's the really impressive part. Most games are over half-way through the show. He has one close call last week but the rest were routs.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't caught him yet, as I thought when he first started up they said the season was over. That said, I have now set it up to record. I've periodically gotten into watching the show. I'm all for what he's doing. I understand it's not very watchable, if I understand his style correctly. I recall a guy doing the same thing a few years back (Starting out on the bottom row and going across, and then hunting for the daily doubles, betting big on them, etc, but he was no where near as succesful as James has been), he was a very charismatic cat, though. I guess I'll see what his personality is like tomorrow. That said, the most annoying thing for me would be the constant switching of the categories, as going straight through a category is much more enjoyable to watch.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched every episode. Dude is a buzzsaw.

He is going to break Jeopardy.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That old guy almost beat him. That was a close one.
I have no interest in watching. The guy is not likable.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a scare last Monday, but that was the only Final Jeopardy so far, that mattered. He is something.

Was listening to Howard Stern the other day, and Robin, who was on celebrity Jeopardy said there is a built-in penalty on the buzzer...if you ring in too soon, it locks you out. He has mastered whatever that timing is. What impresses me the most is the knowledge across EVERY category...doesn't matter, and he does not shy away.

Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the questions being more difficult if you took them out of order. So the question that is under each assigned value varies based on what order it's chosen. They're easier if done in order. I swear I remember hearing that somewhere, and that it was done that way to deter folks from starting at the bottom. If true, what he's doing is even more impressive.