• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeopardy!

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AhHa, so I'm not the only old bastard who watches the show.
You have outed yourselves as old fucks like me.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That old guy almost beat him. That was a close one.
I have no interest in watching. The guy is not likable.

There was 1 other show where a female competitor had a chance to be in range for Final Jeopardy, until she blew several thousand with a wrong Daily Double answer late in the game and was too far back in Final Jeopardy. But then she got Final Jeopardy right and he got it wrong. She would have beaten him if she hadn't blown her daily double answer.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure many of you have heard about him. He's won 22 straight, averaging roughly $80,000 every night, which prior to him was the highest single day total ever. He's broken that about 10 times since he first did it.

The guy is a freakish combination of photographic memory and an apparently insatiable appetite for consuming information. There are nights his opponents barely get a chance to answer a question... he's also very fast on the buzzer.

Someone will have to get lucky to beat him. Trebek seems clearly tired of him.. he doesn't have a very likeable manner. It's brought the show a lot of attention and probably more viewers, but it's getting old fast, imo. Just wondering if anyone else is following this and what you think.

'Jeopardy' star James Holzhauer makes history with his 21st win in a row

is he a multi millionaire yet?

if so..then wood

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a scare last Monday, but that was the only Final Jeopardy so far, that mattered. He is something.

Was listening to Howard Stern the other day, and Robin, who was on celebrity Jeopardy said there is a built-in penalty on the buzzer...if you ring in too soon, it locks you out. He has mastered whatever that timing is. What impresses me the most is the knowledge across EVERY category...doesn't matter, and he does not shy away.

Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the questions being more difficult if you took them out of order. So the question that is under each assigned value varies based on what order it's chosen. They're easier if done in order. I swear I remember hearing that somewhere, and that it was done that way to deter folks from starting at the bottom. If true, what he's doing is even more impressive.

I've never heard that. I've always thought that they're supposed to get harder the higher the dollar value. But yeah that one guy finished 2nd with around $53k. That's probably never happened before.

The breadth of his knowledge is insane. He clearly has a photographic memory, but how did it all get in his head ? He must be a speed reader and consume information constantly.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the questions being more difficult if you took them out of order. So the question that is under each assigned value varies based on what order it's chosen. They're easier if done in order. I swear I remember hearing that somewhere, and that it was done that way to deter folks from starting at the bottom. If true, what he's doing is even more impressive.

No, the questions at the bottom are harder than the questions at the top, but the questions in each box do not change depending on what order you take them in. They're only "easier if done in order" in the sense that you're working your way from easy to hard questions.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, but I don't find it entertaining to watch an unlikable guy win night after night.

i thought you guys got off on that

tenor.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figures the smart ones have a personality of a door knob...

Can't argue with the success this dude has however... He's a beast!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, but I don't find it entertaining to watch an unlikable guy win night after night.
I like watching history being made. Dude's like the Jordan of Jeopardy.

I watched his first night, and called my wife afterwards to tell her about it. I had never seen that amount won in a single game. Then he just went ahead and did it 21 more times.

Whether he's unlikable or not?...he's weird af, with the goofiest smile of all time, but much more than that seems presumptuous, and as I indicated before, I couldn't really give any less fucks. I don't know him, nor do I care to. It's incredible what he's doing, and it has been neat to watch.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the questions at the bottom are harder than the questions at the top, but the questions in each box do not change depending on what order you take them in. They're only "easier if done in order" in the sense that you're working your way from easy to hard questions.

I don't know why I have that thought...maybe it was from the video game er something? Or maybe it used to be that way? I dunno:noidea:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just kidding...I don't know. He seemed a little down and out tonight tho. His final jeopardy wager was the right one tho, even tho it seems weird.

It was the perfect storm. Him getting the Daily Double on the very first pick hurt him right off the bat, and then the other two opponents played great, only one wrong answer between them all.

Helluva run tho.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summary article: "James Holzhauer Is (Finally) Unseated as Jeopardy! Champion; How Did It All Come Down?"

Also, informative graph (from 538) showing how James Holzhauer's $2,462,216 over 32 wins fell short of Ken Jennings's record of $2,520,700 over 74 wins:

roeder-jeopary-0603-1.png

I think even Jennings would admit that James is the king.

Tho I will say, given the layout of how it's filmed en sech, what Jennings did is remarkable. I don't know what his home-life was at the time, but that is one helluva long time gone.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the turning point was when she doubled down on a double jeopardy and made it.

"I guess I have to make it a daily double"

Great!

For sure. It was almost as if she was the first competitor to know what she was going up against.

IMO, what sealed James' fate tho, was when Jay got the second daily double in round two. That shut the door.

He had dominated the DDs until tonight. The only one he got actually worked against him.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. It was almost as if she was the first competitor to know what she was going up against.

IMO, what sealed James' fate tho, was when Jay got the second daily double in round two. That shut the door.

He had dominated the DDs until tonight. The only one he got actually worked against him.

It sure seemed he got of daily dailys. Getting one too early didn't help. I guess that had to end sometime.

I thought that was a great bet in Final Jeopardy. He had to hope Emma would miss the final question or he would lose pretty much regardless of what he bet.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure seemed he got of daily dailys. Getting one too early didn't help. I guess that had to end sometime.

I thought that was a great bet in Final Jeopardy. He had to hope Emma would miss the final question or he would lose pretty much regardless of what he bet.
It was the right bet, right down to the dollar, even accounting for the other competitor...Jay.