• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Gruden fired

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Gruden but with an offensive-minded head coach theres no use for him here.

If the Vikings happen to miss the playoffs and Zimmer gets fired the Bengals should make him the highest paid coordinator and assistant head coach in NFL history. He'd be a perfect fit here.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gruden but with an offensive-minded head coach theres no use for him here.

If the Vikings happen to miss the playoffs and Zimmer gets fired the Bengals should make him the highest paid coordinator and assistant head coach in NFL history. He'd be a perfect fit here.

I can honestly see Zimmer taking a DC job here if he gets fired in Minny. He still has a ranch in the area and he strikes me as a guy that will coach for many years.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can honestly see Zimmer taking a DC job here if he gets fired in Minny. He still has a ranch in the area and he strikes me as a guy that will coach for many years.

All of that's true. Plus I don't think it's a coincidence that our defense was one of the worst in the league when he got here and regreessed to one of the worst in the league a few years after he left. The coaching part's obvious but he seems to have an eye for talent too. They hit on almost all of their important defense picks while he was here.

Another thing is he seems to be a part of the Bengals family. I can actually imagine MB opening up the checkboook for him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that's true. Plus I don't think it's a coincidence that our defense was one of the worst in the league when he got here and regreessed to one of the worst in the league a few years after he left. The coaching part's obvious but he seems to have an eye for talent too. They hit on almost all of their important defense picks while he was here.

Another thing is he seems to be a part of the Bengals family. I can actually imagine MB opening up the checkboook for him.

That would be too ideal.

Taylor as head coach and offensive coordinator, Zimmer as D-coordinator and assistant coach. Then you figure out this damn offensive line and the LB's.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be crazy to hold onto Green or Atkins if they are offered 1st rounders for them. Both of those guys will be over the hill by the time the roster is rebuilt.

Reactions: gob

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be crazy to hold onto Green or Atkins if they are offered 1st rounders for them. Both of those guys will be over the hill by the time the roster is rebuilt.

I agree, just pisses me off that iconic players like these two need to be shopped to get something out of it because we blow and now they will not remain Bengals when getting inducted into the HoF. Both will, and they will probably be wearing someone else's jersey.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, just pisses me off that iconic players like these two need to be shopped to get something out of it because we blow and now they will not remain Bengals when getting inducted into the HoF. Both will, and they will probably be wearing someone else's jersey.

Neither of them will be inducted to the HOF. Statistically, neither one of them will be one of the top 3 or 4 players of their era. Neither have won anything of consequence. Both played for the Bengals. There has only been one Bengal HOFer and he only got in because he was clearly the best at what he did.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of them will be inducted to the HOF. Statistically, neither one of them will be one of the top 3 or 4 players of their era. Neither have won anything of consequence. Both played for the Bengals. There has only been one Bengal HOFer and he only got in because he was clearly the best at what he did.

Atkins and Green are two of the best in this league and by the end of their careers they could be in the top 10 in their positions in stats. Atkins with sacks, Green with receptions and TD's, if he can get healthy.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atkins and Green are two of the best in this league and by the end of their careers they could be in the top 10 in their positions in stats. Atkins with sacks, Green with receptions and TD's, if he can get healthy.

AJ Green is not staying healthy. He's getting older and he's probably on his way down. Age gets you.

As for stats - He isn't much different statistically than Chad Johnson. AJ has never led the conference in receiving. The highest he has ever finished in any season is 5th in receiving. He's a very good player, but has never been the best at his position. With the way receiving stats keep going up, there will be too many players with equal stats.

Atkins -- D-line is a hard position to get into the HOF. Atkins will not be appreciated..... He's never been vocal and has spent his entire career in a small market. He doesn't have a prayer.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green is not staying healthy. He's getting older and he's probably on his way down. Age gets you.

As for stats - He isn't much different statistically than Chad Johnson. AJ has never led the conference in receiving. The highest he has ever finished in any season is 5th in receiving. He's a very good player, but has never been the best at his position. With the way receiving stats keep going up, there will be too many players with equal stats.

Atkins -- D-line is a hard position to get into the HOF. Atkins will not be appreciated..... He's never been vocal and has spent his entire career in a small market. He doesn't have a prayer.

All valid points.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I keep seeing stuff like this on reddit and elsewhere. Geno and AJ, while both very good players for a longtime, have a less than 10% chance of getting into the HOF. Just the way it works. If you play in a small market, you either have to set records, win numerous big games, or do something to stand out amongst your peers.

Fanbases always overrate their own players. I’m not saying AJ Green or Geno Atkins are overrated, they were both damn good football players. But neither did anything to transform the league either. They also don’t have the benefit of being larger than life personas, or have a large media contingent or national following that will elevate them (think Steelers with guys like Swann).

Both will be remembered in Cincinnati. But probably soon forgotten by everyone else.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I keep seeing stuff like this on reddit and elsewhere. Geno and AJ, while both very good players for a longtime, have a less than 10% chance of getting into the HOF. Just the way it works. If you play in a small market, you either have to set records, win numerous big games, or do something to stand out amongst your peers.

Fanbases always overrate their own players. I’m not saying AJ Green or Geno Atkins are overrated, they were both damn good football players. But neither did anything to transform the league either. They also don’t have the benefit of being larger than life personas, or have a large media contingent or national following that will elevate them (think Steelers with guys like Swann).

Both will be remembered in Cincinnati. But probably soon forgotten by everyone else.

Good point.... And even a larger than life persona won't do much for you if you don't have rings.

I think AJ had HOF type talent and he's always had a good head on his shoulder. He never got to play with a great passer and he never got to play on a top team. 2015 was the best team he was on and that was still only good for a 3rd seed in the AFC. He's somewhat similar to Megatron - Without all the hype.

Atkins was an amazing football player. If he had played for the Patriot and picked up 3 or 4 rings he would definitely be HOF worthy. But honestly, outside of AFC-N fans, most people don't think much about Geno Atkins.... He'll be forgotten within 3 years of leaving the league.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
AJ made 7 straight probowls to start his career and that's in a bad weather stadium with a serviceable but non-elite QB play.

If he gets healthy and has another strong 5 years with 2 or 3 probowl caliber seasons I think he gets consideration for the HOF. If it includes some deep post season runs hes a lock.

Atkins is also having a HOF worthy career but he plays a less visible position. His chances get hurt more by the small market status and lack of team success imo.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No-showing in big and/or important games doesn't help their HOF chances either.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ made 7 straight probowls to start his career and that's in a bad weather stadium with a serviceable but non-elite QB play.

If he gets healthy and has another strong 5 years with 2 or 3 probowl caliber seasons I think he gets consideration for the HOF. If it includes some deep post season runs hes a lock.

Atkins is also having a HOF worthy career but he plays a less visible position. His chances get hurt more by the small market status and lack of team success imo.

Even if Green were to have some post-Bengals success, my thinking would be that he would end up in a similar position to Corey Dillon. The issue he has is that during his prime production years, he played with a limited qb. Because of that, he never was among league leaders in any given season and he has never been a first team all-pro. I'm guessing that its hard to find anyone in the HOF that was never a first team all-pro. The people that vote for HOF use stats in comparison to others at the position during the same era as basis for consideration. AJ will never have those numbers. He can blame the redhead and conservative coach Lewis for the production issues.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even if Green were to have some post-Bengals success, my thinking would be that he would end up in a similar position to Corey Dillon. The issue he has is that during his prime production years, he played with a limited qb. Because of that, he never was among league leaders in any given season and he has never been a first team all-pro. I'm guessing that its hard to find anyone in the HOF that was never a first team all-pro. The people that vote for HOF use stats in comparison to others at the position during the same era as basis for consideration. AJ will never have those numbers. He can blame the redhead and conservative coach Lewis for the production issues.

The thing with the production is while it hasn't been MVP level it's been consistently great. He's 6th alltime in reciving yards per game. That's inflated because of modern passing numbers but he's still better than almost anyone in football history.

Julio Jones is higher (probable HOFer). Beckham Jr (too early to tell). Calvin Johnson (retired early, still will get consideration). Antonio Brown (HOF pace before off field issues). Michael Thomas (dome team, dominant qb, too early to tell).

If he retired today he has almost no chance but a strong 3 or 4 years and I think hes in the discussion. A lot will depend on his health.

If he makes 9 probowls hes either in the HOF or the best WR left out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to look hard at trading AJ and Atkins, and hell maybe even Bernard.

If they can get 1st rounds for Atkins and AJ, plus probably a 3rd/4th thrown in, and something for Bernard, that opens up a lot of cap space and adds to their draft picks. Hell, I'd look to trade Dre K for a late round pick, too. There's so much that needs to be done. Keeping guys who won't factor into the next rebuild doesn't make sense.

As for drafting a QB, even before they look at QB, they have got to figure out the OL and rebuild the DL first. The way the NFL is played, good teams protect the QB, and get after the QB.