• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jason Avant

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought in the event Eric Decker walks......

Jason Avant is 30 years old and coming off of a pretty solid season in Philly. He might be worth a look since he will most likely come at an affordable price. He has good hands and played pretty well in a wide open offense last season.

He is also a solid locker room guy.

I would not mind seeing him brought in if we pass on some of the bigger names like Hakeem Nicks.

Go Broncos!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely wouldn't mind this. Would be a nice quality signing for the team.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here....on a one year deal or something. He's always been a formidable 3rd option, and with Deck more than likely gone, we'll have a void to fill.

Kinda hoping Caldwell gets a longer look going into next year though. He was effective when used this year, and having his speed opposite DT would be something Deck really couldn't provide. I really wish they would've found a way to keep Tavarres King around. I liked what I saw from that kid in the preseason last year, and I thought he could turn into something.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here....on a one year deal or something. He's always been a formidable 3rd option, and with Deck more than likely gone, we'll have a void to fill.

Kinda hoping Caldwell gets a longer look going into next year though. He was effective when used this year, and having his speed opposite DT would be something Deck really couldn't provide. I really wish they would've found a way to keep Tavarres King around. I liked what I saw from that kid in the preseason last year, and I thought he could turn into something.
Avant.... Am I wrong or isn`t he under 6`0? I think he would be better in the slant spot and not as a 2nd wr and since we have Welker there, I don`t think he`s an option. Decker had probs shedding tight man to man pressure and I think Denver ( if Deck is gone) needs to look at a bigger guy ( Decker size) but is more physical and will fight for the ball to compliment DT. ( thats why I like Richardson @2 or 3).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avant.... Am I wrong or isn`t he under 6`0? I think he would be better in the slant spot and not as a 2nd wr and since we have Welker there, I don`t think he`s an option. Decker had probs shedding tight man to man pressure and I think Denver ( if Deck is gone) needs to look at a bigger guy ( Decker size) but is more physical and will fight for the ball to compliment DT. ( thats why I like Richardson @2 or 3).

Richardson is 6'1" 170 lbs. I think he is going to get pushed around big time. You want physical guys you are looking at Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Evans, and Moncrief. Avant is 6'0" and weighs 212 so about 40 lbs. on Richardson to work with.

Avant isn't the greatest signing we could make but would make sense dollar wise, leadership wise, and is a pretty consistent guy that could thrive in an offense where he will see a ton of one-on-one coverage. He was great on 3rd down for the Eagles so it would be a good 1-2 year signing with the idea of drafting a guy to eventually replace him.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Draft

For my buddy cd

Want more real-time NFL Draft news?

Visit Team Stream on BleacherReport.com! ×

Paul Richardson Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Colorado WR

By Ryan McCrystal , Featured Columnist Mar 2, 2014

Next ARTICLE »
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
hi-res-4c29cf3b6f923c5f3cc2c920333389fd_crop_north.jpg

Alex Gallardo/Associated Press

Reads

Comments

Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado (6'0", 175 lbs)

Combine Weigh InHeightWeightArmsHands6'0"17532 5/8"8 7/8"NFL.com

Combine Workout40-Yard DashBench PressVerticalBroad Jump3-Cone DrillShuttle4.40DNP38.0"124"7.09DNPNFL.com

Positives
  • A pure speed receiver with the smooth acceleration off the line of scrimmage to be a true deep threat.
  • Acceleration and quick footwork allows him to effectively escape from press coverage, despite his lack of size.
  • An elite threat to pick up chunks of yardage when given the ball in space.
  • He's fast enough to take any ball to the house and has the smooth agility to make guys miss in the open field.
  • Plenty of experience running deep routes (fly, deep post, etc.) and does an excellent job tracking the ball over his shoulder and adjusting appropriately.
  • Long arms for his size and impressive leaping ability gives him potential to develop in jump ball situations, but it's an area that needs development.
  • Experienced in the slot and out wide.
  • Extremely productive at Colorado despite being surrounded by a limited supporting cast.
  • ACL injury raises some durability concerns, but he was as explosive as ever in 2013 and showed no signs of lingering issues from the injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P.S.Jason Avant.. In 6 yrs...best yr 53 recpts for 679 yds give or take a few, never had more than 3 tds in a season ( once, and 2tds once) Best avg yds per game came in 2012.. 46 yds. He`s had 2 recpts of 40 yds or more. He did have 6 fumbles after catch though. I think I would go with a 7th rd wr pk and roll the dice. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong Randymon I like Richardson. I would love to see the Broncos draft him. I was mostly commenting towards your thought that Avant would struggle in press man coverage. He actually has some size to him for his height and decent speed to go with it. He isn't my first choice for the #2 spot (Nicks is that for me) but the Broncos are going to do some bargain shopping once again. Now I don't think Avant would get the numbers that Decker put up last year but then again I don't know that we need somebody who can do that for our offense to still be effective. Heck for different parts of the season we were without Julius Thomas and Wes Welker but our offense still was successful. I honestly wouldn't even mind if the Broncos decided to go with Caldwell as the #2 receiver as he did just fine when he actually came into games and I think his speed is something that could be nice for this offense.

No matter what we do I do think we need to draft a receiver at some point in this draft 1) obviously with Welker coming off contract next year as well as D. Thomas and J. Thomas we need to start grooming somebody. 2) This draft is too deep at receiver not to try and find a gem or two for this offense.

Now again like I said Avant probably wouldn't get to Decker type numbers but Decker's best numbers before Peyton got here were 44 catches 612 yards and 8 touchdowns.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah cd I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Caldwell would prob be the better option. #1 he and Manning have a decent chemistry by now and bringing in somebody like an Advent, I think would be a down grade over Caldwell just for that fact. If Denver is serious about contending for SB next yr ( and we know they are) not using Caldwell over the FA talent out there, just wouldn`t make since. I think Caldwell given the chance at #2 wr just might evolve into all the hype he previously had but it just hasn`t quite happened. When he did get looks from Manning, he did pretty good. Prob was Manning had DT,Deck,JT,Welker and Moreno to choose from and I think Caldwell most the time ( unless designed play for him) was prob his 3rd ck off when he was in there. To me anyway, I say give Caldwell the shot ( cheap price) and see if you can get a possible "gem" wr in draft. If there was a better option out there than Decker besides Caldwell I`d say go for it. Don`t see one IMO at least.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, when did I say not to give Caldwell a shot?

If Decker walks, it's a fact that we will need another WR if we are going to run similar sets to what we ran this season. I feel like the majority of our attention and cap space needs to be paid to the Defense. I'm not saying to sign Avant as a #2 WR. Just saying they might want to kick the tires....

As for his numbers prior to this season.....remember, they had Jackson, Cooper and Maclin.