• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared vs Danny

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a lot of talk that Jared Cook was going to replace the role filled by Danny Amendola in the Rams offense, and I have to say they are completely different players.

Here's an analysis for Turf Show Times with a video of all Cook's looks last year in Tenessee:
Recap Of Jared Cook Every Target in 2012 (Yes It Has Video) - Turf Show Times

Danny is a smooth sneaky fast route runner with great sense of the zone and very good hands. He's that proverbial 'knack for getting open' guy, and had more speed than you expected. His knocks were small catch radius and durability.

Cook is a physical beast, and I can see why the coaches are enamored of him. But the old saying here is still appropriate - son, your potential is going to get me fired. He was limited in the scope of the offense last year and bad QB play, but he has some real limitations too. Way too many drops - we'll see if a more catcher friendly touch on the ball helps that, as Locker has one speed, torpedo. Huge catch radius, great deep speed, ideal size - he's going to make the defense play back in ways that Danny never did. But his football instincts clearly aren't as good as Danny's - he doesn't break as many tackles as his size should indicate, he's only average at finding holes in the zone, and then usually a factor of his deep speed instead of finding open areas.

I don't think he's going to be a 80 catch guy, at least not yet. We'll see if a friendly system and more accurate QB help him. He will however help every other reciever on the field with his deep speed, and make some breathtaking plays.

But in the short game this is a guy who to date gets 7 yards on 3rd and 8, and he won't be replacing the guy that got 9 yards. Stedmon Bailey is going to be that guy.

But if the line gives Bradford time to throw, there's going to be some big plays this year, with Austin, Cook and Givens burners, and Bailey and Pettis will be getting a lot of soft zones underneath.

Good pick up, but is going to fill a completely different role than DA. I hope he plays a tad more physically for his size in the future.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the assessment demiurge about the differences between Cook and Amendola. My problem with Danny was that he couldn't stay on the field. When he was in, he was great, when he was out Bradford struggled. With Cook, when he was signed prior to the draft, I thought Red Zone first and with Kendricks getting better, a duel TE was a nice way to go there. Now with Austin and Bailey, I think Cook opens up the underneath for both. It remains to be seen if the Rams draft works out in real life like paper spells out but the premise is interesting to say the least. Good luck to Danny in New England but in the long haul I think the Rams made the right choises.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, I agree. I really think the Rams offense now is going to be focused on the pass rather than Jeff Fisher's history of running the ball. I always wondered how Sam Bradford would perform when surrounded by weapons. Well, we are about to find out. I wasn't too worked up when Danny didn't resigned based on your comment that he couldn't stay on the field. I think I read somewhere, 16 games outta 32 in the last two years. As you, I wish him well in New England.

NorthsideRamFan

CBS Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line included we have the pieces and potential to be a VERY dangerous offense next year. While I agree that Danny and Jared are two different type of players, I also agree that they'll be used in a similar capacity (of course we won't see Cook returning any punts........ at least I hope not lol). I think Jared will enjoy the favorable mismatches that Amendola saw quite often in our offense. Anxious to see how all of our new options will be used. The days of scoring 16 17 pts per game SHOULD be over. On paper this team looks for real! EXCITED!!