• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Stidham

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to start a thread for this guy because it appears that 50% of Patriots' fans think he's another Geno Smith and the other 50% think that he's a total bust.

The guy has played in four preseason games and had a horrible single shot in an NFL regular season game. I really don't want to get into a pissing contest about the pick six in the Jets game.

Before Tom Brady got his chance, he was considered too slow, not very accurate and didn't seem to have much of a future in the NFL. That should have taught us that making rash evaluations without solid information and see a performance in a full game isn't the best way to make a decision.

What if Stidham is another Mahomes or Brady with legs that work? Everyone has anointed Allen (BUF) and Darnold (NYJ) the the best AFCE QBs. What if Stidham is twice as good as both under game pressure? We don't know and won't until he has an opportunity to show what he can doonce given the opportunity to play outside of the gigantic Brady shadow.

He wasn't that bad in the preseason in 2019 and now that he knows he's got the edge to be the starter if he plays well and makes good decisions, The Patriots' offense might not be that bad. That, and he probably will not freeze out any WR like Brady admitted that he did.

I'm willing to give him a chance. Especially if he can move out of the pocket and run with ball like he did last year. You know, make his legs move fast and get 7 or 8 yards rather than throwing the ball away 7 or 8 times a game?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether he's the long term guy or not...who knows...unless BB goes after Dalton (post waivers) or Cam (much closer to camp if they look there imo)...Stidham is the guy in the short term.

There's going to be a mix bag and a rocky road...just goes with the territory...you hope he's not making the same mistakes twice and improving game by game....heck, just figure out where to go with the ball against the blitz. If he can do that and can keep the chains moving, you won't wear out the DEF.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to start a thread for this guy because it appears that 50% of Patriots' fans think he's another Geno Smith and the other 50% think that he's a total bust.

The guy has played in four preseason games and had a horrible single shot in an NFL regular season game. I really don't want to get into a pissing contest about the pick six in the Jets game.

Before Tom Brady got his chance, he was considered too slow, not very accurate and didn't seem to have much of a future in the NFL. That should have taught us that making rash evaluations without solid information and see a performance in a full game isn't the best way to make a decision.

What if Stidham is another Mahomes or Brady with legs that work? Everyone has anointed Allen (BUF) and Darnold (NYJ) the the best AFCE QBs. What if Stidham is twice as good as both under game pressure? We don't know and won't until he has an opportunity to show what he can doonce given the opportunity to play outside of the gigantic Brady shadow.

He wasn't that bad in the preseason in 2019 and now that he knows he's got the edge to be the starter if he plays well and makes good decisions, The Patriots' offense might not be that bad. That, and he probably will not freeze out any WR like Brady admitted that he did.

I'm willing to give him a chance. Especially if he can move out of the pocket and run with ball like he did last year. You know, make his legs move fast and get 7 or 8 yards rather than throwing the ball away 7 or 8 times a game?

I am on the hype train, for 2021 at least.

Here’s another nugget: I was told after the draft that the Patriots like Stidham more than they liked Jimmy Garoppolo. And I know what you’re thinking: “typical Patriots spin.” That ain’t it. This isn’t coming from someone who stands to gain anything by pumping up the Patriots.

Patriots Mailbag: How High Are Pats On Jarrett Stidham At Quarterback?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone HAS to stop using Brady as a reference point.

1. Everybody was wrong about him, EVERYBODY. If the Pats weren't wrong about him they would have surprised everyone and traded up to the number 1 pick to grab him. The risk of letting any other team get him would have been too great.
  2. Just because a blind squirrel finds a nut, do you want to bet he'll keep finding them before he starves?
  3. Brady was entrenched as an NFL player before he got his "shot". He was winning teammate of the week honors for his effort in practices and preparation before he sniffed the QB1 spot. Was anyone who really followed the team unaware that Brady had climbed over Huard for the QB2 spot?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That will never happen.

My point of reference was about Brady prior to being drafted by the Patriots. Even after the media wasn't sold that he could be an NFL QB. He certainly was on his way to getting some regular season starts, even before Bledsoe got hurt. The patriots were swimming in mud and going nowhere with DB starting and you know that BB was going to give TB a couple of shots.

Anyone who's been alive during the Brady era will always compare the next QB to him. No way that will ever stop. We'll all be looking at fast he can release the ball, run the no-huddle, move up in the pocket, run the 2 minute offense, control the game in the last 3 minutes and most critically, put the team on his back and make a comeback.

I'm just glad that I'm not that poor bastard.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will never happen.

My point of reference was about Brady prior to being drafted by the Patriots. Even after the media wasn't sold that he could be an NFL QB. He certainly was on his way to getting some regular season starts, even before Bledsoe got hurt. The patriots were swimming in mud and going nowhere with DB starting and you know that BB was going to give TB a couple of shots.

Anyone who's been alive during the Brady era will always compare the next QB to him. No way that will ever stop. We'll all be looking at fast he can release the ball, run the no-huddle, move up in the pocket, run the 2 minute offense, control the game in the last 3 minutes and most critically, put the team on his back and make a comeback.

I'm just glad that I'm not that poor bastard.
The comparison I was referring to is the "diamond in the rough aspect". Surely Stidham is a diamond in the rough and has shown some diamond highlights. Brady was a lump of coal when nobody understood coal can become diamonds with the right conditions. There were plenty who knew Brady had the intangibles to do something good, but even the biggest dreamer ever would not have dared dream what Brady did.

selkies ftw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he’ll be pretty good. His time at Auburn probably isn’t a good measure of his talents. Tbh he should have gone somewhere else that was more passer friendly.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Everybody was wrong about him, EVERYBODY. If the Pats weren't wrong about him they would have surprised everyone and traded up to the number 1 pick to grab him. The risk of letting any other team get him would have been too great.
  2. Just because a blind squirrel finds a nut, do you want to bet he'll keep finding them before he starves?
  3. Brady was entrenched as an NFL player before he got his "shot". He was winning teammate of the week honors for his effort in practices and preparation before he sniffed the QB1 spot. Was anyone who really followed the team unaware that Brady had climbed over Huard for the QB2 spot?

1) Fair, Bill did not know he was going to be a HOF player or he would have taken him at least in the first.
2) Bill's track record of drafting starting caliber QB's as back ups speaks for itself. He is no blind squirrel.
3) 2nd game of 2nd year is entrenched? C'mon man. Yes, of course he climbed from 4th to 2nd in a year. He was HOF caliber...just a late bloomer?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BB has been doing quite well evaluating college QBs.
Jimmy G the end of round 2 out of Eastern Illinois.
Jacoby Brisett end of round 3 out of NC state.
Remember BB doesn't have the luxury of picking in the top 10. If you look at the current league of starting QBs maybe 10 are considered really good. The next group of 10 are good, followed by the final tier of ok but we'd like a better starter. I put JG and JB in that 2nd group.
The average NFL team is lucky to have 25% of their draft class start. It's hard to find a top 20 starting QB.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Fair, Bill did not know he was going to be a HOF player or he would have taken him at least in the first.
2) Bill's track record of drafting starting caliber QB's as back ups speaks for itself. He is no blind squirrel.
3) 2nd game of 2nd year is entrenched? C'mon man. Yes, of course he climbed from 4th to 2nd in a year. He was HOF caliber...just a late bloomer?
Bill's track record? Please share. I'll make it easy... Here's the list

2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey, LSU
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel, USC
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling, LSU
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Brady and Garroppolo, and Garoppolo was a second rounder, hardly a backup. Everyone else is backup quality at best including Brisset and Cassel... Brisset may still make something of himself but again a third rounder isn't a stretch though Bill did "reach" for him.

My comments aren't a knock on Belichick, the guy's a genius and not a magician.

If you beat an established player in your second year, then yes you are entrenched. By the start of the 2001 season we all knew Brady was sticking with the team long term.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB has been doing quite well evaluating college QBs.
Jimmy G the end of round 2 out of Eastern Illinois.
Jacoby Brisett end of round 3 out of NC state.
Remember BB doesn't have the luxury of picking in the top 10. If you look at the current league of starting QBs maybe 10 are considered really good. The next group of 10 are good, followed by the final tier of ok but we'd like a better starter. I put JG and JB in that 2nd group.
The average NFL team is lucky to have 25% of their draft class start. It's hard to find a top 20 starting QB.
But Jimmy was a well known commodity and not a secret. Again, I'm not putting Bill down. Your point about draft position is double dead spot on.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Jimmy was a well known commodity and not a secret. Again, I'm not putting Bill down. Your point about draft position is double dead spot on.

Jimmy was known because he broke a bunch of Romos records. He was still projected to go 3rd or 4th round. BB saw something and took him at the end of the 2nd. BBs track record of evaluating QBs is pretty good.

WRs and DBs that's another story. I wonder if BB has changed how he grades WRs/DBs or is he stuck with how he's always done it?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm excited for the Stidham era to begin.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioning Brady and Stidham in same breath?

Wow.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey
Set records at LSU and in NFL Europe Lost his job to Doug Flutie and Matt Cassel. Good pick.
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury
He played for like 7 or 8 teams, not a stellar career passing, Bill obviously drafted him for his brains. NFL Head Coach now. Good pick
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel
Became a starter, great pick
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell
As a back up QB....no. OC for the Rams so not a football dummy. Not a great us of a third round pick, but not a total waste. Wasted Pick
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson
Drafted 7th round in April, released first week of Sept. Wasted 7th round pick.
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett
He showed a lot of promise...or at least a lot of arm. The Texans and Ravens both tried to make him a starter, so not a total waste of a pick...but...fair pick.
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo
Starter. Great pick.
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett
Starter, great pick.
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling
7th rounder, not a waste. Fair.
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham
Potentially great pick.

So...IMO, based on Potential, draft position and contributions to the Pats, the NFL and the sport.
Not including UFA's Brady or Stidham;
2 wasted picks. Kevin O'Connell and Zac Robinson.
2 fair picks. Danny Etling and Ryan Mallet.
2 good picks. Rohan Davey and Kliff Kingsbury.
3 Great picks. Matt Cassell,Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett

Add in Brady, that 4 greats and two good picks at QB. Any HC out there would absolutely love to have that record.
Time will tell whether the trend continues with JS.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey
Set records at LSU and in NFL Europe Lost his job to Doug Flutie and Matt Cassel. Good pick.
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury
He played for like 7 or 8 teams, not a stellar career passing, Bill obviously drafted him for his brains. NFL Head Coach now. Good pick
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel
Became a starter, great pick
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell
As a back up QB....no. OC for the Rams so not a football dummy. Not a great us of a third round pick, but not a total waste. Wasted Pick
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson
Drafted 7th round in April, released first week of Sept. Wasted 7th round pick.
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett
He showed a lot of promise...or at least a lot of arm. The Texans and Ravens both tried to make him a starter, so not a total waste of a pick...but...fair pick.
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo
Starter. Great pick.
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett
Starter, great pick.
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling
7th rounder, not a waste. Fair.
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham
Potentially great pick.

So...IMO, based on Potential, draft position and contributions to the Pats, the NFL and the sport.
Not including UFA's Brady or Stidham;
2 wasted picks. Kevin O'Connell and Zac Robinson.
2 fair picks. Danny Etling and Ryan Mallet.
2 good picks. Rohan Davey and Kliff Kingsbury.
3 Great picks. Matt Cassell,Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett

Add in Brady, that 4 greats and two good picks at QB. Any HC out there would absolutely love to have that record.
Time will tell whether the trend continues with JS.
Let's just say we have different standards. I'll start and end with Davie... What he did at LSU and in Europe are not relevant. If that were an ok pick he would have been flipped for a draft pick. He just wasted pine space for the Pats (though we don't know what he contributed as a scout QB).

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just say we have different standards. I'll start and end with Davie... What he did at LSU and in Europe are not relevant. If that were an ok pick he would have been flipped for a draft pick. He just wasted pine space for the Pats (though we don't know what he contributed as a scout QB).

Of course.
He set records at LSU so he was worth the gamble of a 4th round pick.
He then went on to set records for the Berlin Thunder during the off season while still playing for the Pats. That's dedication.
He lost his job to Flutie, the only QB who may have brought us more SB's than Brady if given the chance when still youthful.
I still say a good pick, not a waste by any means.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course.
He set records at LSU so he was worth the gamble of a 4th round pick.
He then went on to set records for the Berlin Thunder during the off season while still playing for the Pats. That's dedication.
He lost his job to Flutie, the only QB who may have brought us more SB's than Brady if given the chance when still youthful.
I still say a good pick, not a waste by any means.
I remember those days well. We had Brady and at that point knew we had a star. We saw Davie lighting up Europe and thought we would be trading him for a first (popular sentiment on the ESPN board). Then nothing else happened. Flutie was a side show at that point of his career, a very entertaining one at that...

It really seems the Europe competition was very, very weak and really meant nothing.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were some interesting comments over the weekend about Stidham. One guy said that Stidham should be viewed with an open mind. he made some interesting points about quarterbacks that have been drafted high and just totally flamed out. Of course Ryan Leaf was his first example.
(I have to apologize for calling him Jared when his name is Jarrett. I look at it and still type it incorrect. It must be PTSD)

His point was that Stidham has thrown four passes in a real game. he's 2 for 4 for 14 and one INT that was returned for a TD. He went on to break down the passes and what he thought was the reason for the pick six.

Then he continued to talk about superstar QBs throughout history who got off to horrendous starts. The entire commentary was saying that until Stidham gets into games, more than one game, and faces multiple situations and has a chance to react and perform, it's totally unfair to judge him.

And finally, he did what we all do and talked about comparisons. I think he made a valid comparison. He said that Stidham is not a Tom Brady type. He has tha ability to escape pressure in a way that Brady could not. he said the best comparison would be Aaron Rogers for a similar type of game. His final comment was this....Ignore the prseason because 2020 will be nothing more that practice. Ignore games 1-4 because it's not going to be very pretty for anyone. Carefully assess his performance in games 4-12 because this where he show improvement or his inability to learn and improve. If games 4-12 are a constant improvement, then games 12-16 will be his showcase and will establish whether he's a new Aaron Rogers or Ryan Leaf.

This guy thinks that the Patriots have an Aaron Rogers waiting to break out.

My wife says that these guys are so desperate for news that they all are trying to remain front and center wit their companies. I told her that I can't disagree but it's also making the media guys dig in a bit deeper and do things that they would never normally do.