• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jake Arrieta

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man jake looked like a stud lastnight . go cubbies

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jake is getting closer to the world series go jake .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow been a long time since an o's draft pick won a cy award . congrats jake i'm happy for you but even i was tired of you at the time of the trade .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow been a long time since an o's draft pick won a cy award . congrats jake i'm happy for you but even i was tired of you at the time of the trade .

He was definitely a guy that benefited from getting far away from the AL East. I just wish we had gotten something worthwhile for him because looking back at that trade, we got fleeced.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given recent comments by Zach about former pitching coach Rick Adair, I couldn't help but pass along a couple of pieces from a phone conversation Roch Kubatko relayed last October from Adair concerning Arrieta:

“Sometimes, a different voice helps,” he said. “Jake had been in the organization for seven or eight years. He’s one of those guys who I think everything fell into place for him in Chicago, bottom line. I told him one time, ‘You’ve got better stuff than Felix (Hernandez).’ He had as good of stuff as I’ve ever seen, but it just didn’t translate into the games at times.”

Using the cutter again certainly has benefitted Arrieta, who can dominate hitters with an assortment of pitches.

“That had to do with the elbow,” Adair said. “When you’re taking that kind of mass out of your elbow and you’re a guy who’s always worked around the ball, you’re trying to get to where you can get the ball to go the other way, and the cutter wasn’t ideal for that.

“I wasn’t as opposed to it as some other people were. We tried to get him to use his curveball, tried to get him to use his changeup more, because he definitely needed something to go away from left-handers. Everything always seemed to work into left-handers and away from right-handers. I think the elbow was a big issue.”

Asked to describe his relationship with Arrieta, Adair replied, “We kind of butted heads a little bit.”

“I love him,” Adair continued. “He’s a little bit stubborn, which I love stubborn players, but there were times when he wouldn’t show up on time and you’d have to kind of get on his (butt) a little bit, but I think the world of Jake. I’m so happy for him.”

The full blog entry with quotes is here: Former Orioles pitching coach Rick Adair talks about Jake Arrieta

Personally, I think it was just a myriad of things that got in the way for Jake. I won't put it all on Adair, or the "organization"'s view on the cutter. I think Arrieta shoulders a little of the blame too. Sometimes a move is just what you need to give yourself a fresh perspective and Jake got that via the trade. The trade was a wake-up call for him. His desire to throw across his body was also something he preferred to do, which he's gotten a chance to do up there in Chicago. Different position on the rubber. Just a lot of things going on there.

In case you guys haven't had a chance to read the Yahoo piece by Jeff Passan regarding Zach Britton and the "calvalry" (Jake obviously being part of that), here's the bulk of it...

“They took away the individual approach to everything,” Britton said. “Things we did extremely well in the minor leagues to get to the big leagues – we were told that just doesn’t work here. And you’re like, ‘That’s kind of weird, right?’ You don’t just reinvent yourself in the big leagues. That was the struggle. And the struggle, as we got older, was trying to get back to what made us what we were before.”

Nobody felt this more acutely than Arrieta, whose cut fastball – the pitch with which he now flummoxes hitters more than any – was forbidden. Adair later told reporters it was because Arrieta had a mass removed from his elbow and needed to treat it tenderly. The disagreements devolved into constant train rides between Baltimore and Norfolk for the four, none of whom ever developed a rapport with Adair like they have with Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti, today’s pitching and bullpen coaches.

“With Dave and Dom, if Jake had the opportunity to work with them, I don’t see why he wouldn’t have done here what he’s done there,” Britton said. “The stuff was the guy who could throw two no-hitters. That didn’t just come out of nowhere.

“He thought he would do that. He’d tell you he was gonna do that, too, and you were like, ‘OK, Jake.’ There were times he’ll come off as extremely confident, but he’ll talk to you privately and you’ll see what’s going on. That’s kind of what I saw toward the end of his time here. Giving the façade of extremely confident but not confident at all.”