• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ITT we create new OT rules

nappyvalley

Rivals Asylee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I done did told you I'm not a hockey fan, so just looked it up. FOUR on FOUR is what I meant. Flyers suck btw, go Jackets :D

It's three on three now! It was four on four up til a few years ago, then they changed it to try to finish more games in OT rather than shootout

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never seen 30 exhausted kids get more excited.

Don't think that drill exists anymore.

Like the Indian Run, but for a different reason.
Indian run still exist but with another name. We called it the the Rebel Run but that probably isn’t PC anymore.

Bull in the ring is toast along with Pepper in baseball. We’re raising pussies now.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's three on three now! It was four on four up til a few years ago, then they changed it to try to finish more games in OT rather than shootout

Maybe I had too many beers, can't believe I was that far off? But yes, I loved the fast pace action of it. CBJ scored with under a minute left too to win which was cool, maybe you watched? :-)

Do the purist of the game like this new OT format for the NHL?

nappyvalley

Rivals Asylee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I had too many beers, can't believe I was that far off? But yes, I loved the fast pace action of it. CBJ scored with under a minute left too to win which was cool, maybe you watched? :-)

Do the purist of the game like this new OT format for the NHL?

I did not get to watch that one, had a long drive that night... that one stung since we're trying to chase y'all for a playoff spot. Glad you had a good time though! It's amazing how often I hear of people who aren't that into hockey, then they see a game in person and love it.

I don't mind the 3-on-3 OT, that can be pretty exciting with all the open ice. What I (and many hockey purists) hate is the shootouts which were added back in 2005. I think that was a gimmicky move to try to attract casual fans. A team game should not be decided by an individual skill contest, IMO.

If they *have* to have a shootout then I do like the move to 3-on-3 which reduces the amount of games going to a shootout (the last year that the AHL had 4-on-4 OT, 35% of games were decided in the OT. The first year they went to 3-on-3 OT, that rocketed to 75%).

IMO they need to either:

a) go back to permitting ties in the regular season (1 point each), or

b) keep it 3-on-3 but don't stop after 5 minutes -- keep going until someone scores (it will never take long in 3-on-3 the way it sometimes does in 5-on-5). And in that case, make a regulation win worth 3 points, because it's dumb that currently, a regulation game sees 2 points being distributed and a OT/SO game sees 3 points distributed.

*Also they should never ever touch playoff OT (5-on-5, play however long it takes for someone to score). NHL playoff OT is possibly my favorite thing on sports. I love to see their conditioning being put to the test in those occasional multi-OT games.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not get to watch that one, had a long drive that night... that one stung since we're trying to chase y'all for a playoff spot. Glad you had a good time though! It's amazing how often I hear of people who aren't that into hockey, then they see a game in person and love it.

I don't mind the 3-on-3 OT, that can be pretty exciting with all the open ice. What I (and many hockey purists) hate is the shootouts which were added back in 2005. I think that was a gimmicky move to try to attract casual fans. A team game should not be decided by an individual skill contest, IMO.

If they *have* to have a shootout then I do like the move to 3-on-3 which reduces the amount of games going to a shootout (the last year that the AHL had 4-on-4 OT, 35% of games were decided in the OT. The first year they went to 3-on-3 OT, that rocketed to 75%).

IMO they need to either:

b) keep it 3-on-3 but don't stop after 5 minutes -- keep going until someone scores (it will never take long in 3-on-3 the way it sometimes does in 5-on-5). And in that case, make a regulation win worth 3 points, because it's dumb that currently, a regulation game sees 2 points being distributed and a OT/SO game sees 3 points distributed.

*Also they should never ever touch playoff OT (5-on-5, play however long it takes for someone to score). NHL playoff OT is possibly my favorite thing on sports. I love to see their conditioning being put to the test in those occasional multi-OT games.

So I'm a new fan to the sport, especially after going to three games this year. It's so weird being a new fan to a sport because I'm totally ignorant to rules, customs, traditions, etc... I grew up and played all the other sports I love so you take for granted all the intricacies of each respective sport you watch. But living in Columbus and being hockey is played during the winter, it's a great excuse to have a winter sport I really enjoy outside of OSU basketball. It's just going to take some more time getting emotionally involved but I'm enjoying the learning process of the sport.

What I do respect and can instantly pick up on is the crazy athleticism on ice these guys have. Everything from the skating to puck handling skills blows my mind. The speed at which they can shoot a puck is insane as well. These guys are really, really good at what they do and there's a ton of passion on the ice, you can see it. I find myself enjoying the sport more and more each time I go.

Last week was the first OT game I've seen live and holy shit was that fun to watch. Each side zipping up and down the ice with so much space to create scoring opportunities. Glad you enjoy that format from a purist because as a newb it helped me get hooked. I thought I wanted a shootout but the sudden death goal was exhilarating.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indian run still exist but with another name. We called it the the Rebel Run but that probably isn’t PC anymore.

Bull in the ring is toast along with Pepper in baseball. We’re raising pussies now.
We called it the Ethnic Run, for fun. CrissCrossAppleSauce had yet to be created.

What is the danger of pepper? Never have got why it's outlawed almost everywhere.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO they need to either:

I agree on everything pretty much, but part of me would rather have the 4v4. Sometimes at the EoR I run and grab a drink or to use the bathroom or something... comeback and a team already scored in 15 seconds and I missed it lol. That is frustrating to me. I say 'part of me' because the other part of me is fine with 3v3 because I am ready for some games to be over with.

As for playoffs... nothing should happen. NHL playoffs are the best in any sport hands down in my opinion.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We called it the Ethnic Run, for fun. CrissCrossAppleSauce had yet to be created.

What is the danger of pepper? Never have got why it's outlawed almost everywhere.
Kids were getting the ball blasted into them and losing teeth.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not a skills competition? Running backs compete in the 40, qb’s see who can throw longer, etc.
That's boring.

Let's have punters race each other, defensive lineman have a strongest throwing arm competition and QBs block opposite ends of the blocking sled to see who wins

LongTimeSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just do Hail Marys every play. Each Team gets a chance to bomb it deep until one team converts. Each Team gets it at the 50. Alternating possession each play.

Let’s have some fun.
you just described a typical Big 12 game

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you just described a typical Big 12 game
At least Big 12 teams can score points unlike SOME SEC teams...
giphy.gif

nappyvalley

Rivals Asylee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm a new fan to the sport, especially after going to three games this year. It's so weird being a new fan to a sport because I'm totally ignorant to rules, customs, traditions, etc... I grew up and played all the other sports I love so you take for granted all the intricacies of each respective sport you watch. But living in Columbus and being hockey is played during the winter, it's a great excuse to have a winter sport I really enjoy outside of OSU basketball. It's just going to take some more time getting emotionally involved but I'm enjoying the learning process of the sport.

What I do respect and can instantly pick up on is the crazy athleticism on ice these guys have. Everything from the skating to puck handling skills blows my mind. The speed at which they can shoot a puck is insane as well. These guys are really, really good at what they do and there's a ton of passion on the ice, you can see it. I find myself enjoying the sport more and more each time I go.

Last week was the first OT game I've seen live and holy shit was that fun to watch. Each side zipping up and down the ice with so much space to create scoring opportunities. Glad you enjoy that format from a purist because as a newb it helped me get hooked. I thought I wanted a shootout but the sudden death goal was exhilarating.

Yep the skill at that level is really other-worldly. To the untrained observer it might just look like chaos but the agility and athleticism combined with team chemistry it takes to perform in such a high speed game with so many changes of direction... it's just a beautiful game, that I think is not understood well by the general population, but is so rewarding to those who take the time to appreciate it.

Yeah I was skeptical at first about the 3 on 3 move, but it's turning out to be very exciting to watch and a decently fair way of settling a tie game... and anything cutting down the number of shootouts is alright by me

Btw, I played against your captain, Nick Foligno, in my high school league back in the day. He was one class younger than me and left after his sophomore year to play with the US National U17 or 18 or whatever team.

nappyvalley

Rivals Asylee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on everything pretty much, but part of me would rather have the 4v4. Sometimes at the EoR I run and grab a drink or to use the bathroom or something... comeback and a team already scored in 15 seconds and I missed it lol. That is frustrating to me. I say 'part of me' because the other part of me is fine with 3v3 because I am ready for some games to be over with.

As for playoffs... nothing should happen. NHL playoffs are the best in any sport hands down in my opinion.

Big time agree on your last statement. I will fucking riot if they ever dare touch playoff overtime. It's thrilling to watch them dig deep and push their bodies to the limit, shortening their shifts, trying to stay sharp knowing that the next tiniest mistake could cost everything, and the stuff they do to try to replenish energy like downing bananas and energy drinks on the bench

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would gladly trade offenses with you in a heart beat.
Michigan State may be one of the only if not the only offense in America I would say
giphy.gif

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, make it like the combine. Bring cones out on the field and all that.

Okay, but would the players have equipment on, or just compete in their underwear?

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only change to the current OT would be to make each team start outside of realistic FG range and make them go for two after the first OT.