• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's not often I say this, but I feel many are overrating the Pacers right about now...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To expect T.J. Warren to go from an uncertain role on the Suns (the worst team in the NBA) to a major contributor on an eastern conference contender is just not realistic. There's going to be some major growing pains there.

The Brogdon signing was a no-brainer. That said, I like him better as a two than as a one, where he'd be ver much a plodder in today's NBA. Though word is that he signed with the Pacers to be a full-time starting point guard...

The Pacers were seemingly hell-bent on adding Aaron Holiday's brother, Justin, to the team. But where does he play??? And what about his younger brother, as well as T.J. McConnell? If Brogdon "thinks" he's the starting PG and McConnell is the backup, where does that leave Aaron Holiday???

I haven't even yet mentioned the fact that Victor Oladipo is going to be out at least the first two months of the season, plus the fact we don't know what kind of player he'll be upon returning. Not to mention that our leading scorer while he was our last season, Bojan Bogdanovic, is no longer with the team (Utah can enjoy that contract, though).

Way too many "ifs" here. This is a playoff bubble team in the east at best. Not trying to be pessimistic, just being a realist...

And learning from our experience for three years ago when we had so much roster turnover heading into the 2016-17 season, namely bringing over Thad Young from what was a dismal Brooklyn team at the time.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yes:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Pacers are still a playoff team, bubble as a low. You have Brooklyn who is going to be way better and Toronto who will fall in the East. But after that I see small shifts in the standings, not major movement. So you have Philly, Mjlwaukee, Boston, Brooklyn as a top four and then who is clearly better than Indy? The last four will be a dog fight, perhaps, but I see no reason one of them shouldn't be solidly the Pacers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Pacers are still a playoff team, bubble as a low. You have Brooklyn who is going to be way better and Toronto who will fall in the East. But after that I see small shifts in the standings, not major movement. So you have Philly, Mjlwaukee, Boston, Brooklyn as a top four and then who is clearly better than Indy? The last four will be a dog fight, perhaps, but I see no reason one of them shouldn't be solidly the Pacers.

Brooklyn might not be better at all this year. Possible they are worse if Kyrie impacts chemistry.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooklyn might not be better at all this year. Possible they are worse if Kyrie impacts chemistry.
You may be right, but I think they have the potential. And especially if Durant can make it back sometime.

But that just furthers the point that the Pacers should be solidly in the playoffs.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Orlando is solidly ahead of us. They were one of the hottest teams in the league after the all-star break and bring back virtually everyone from that team. Miami is debatable, they bring back everyone that matters and added Jimmy Butler. Toronto is still the champs and I have them ahead of the Pacers as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Orlando is solidly ahead of us. They were one of the hottest teams in the league after the all-star break and bring back virtually everyone from that team. Miami is debatable, they bring back everyone that matters and added Jimmy Butler. Toronto is still the champs and I have them ahead of the Pacers as well.

How does Toronto replace Kawhi and Green though? They aren't a real threat for home court, and they may slip out of playoff contention altogether. They're going to need HUGE contributions from OG and Siakam to stay in the mix. Norman Powell as a starting SG doesn't exactly scare anyone.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

J-Rich didn't matter??????

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J-Rich didn't matter??????

Not when you replace him with a better player. J-Rich was asked to be a #1 option. A role he isn't built for at this stage in his career. Butler on the other hand done it before and is more built for it.

Philly is perfect for J-Rich right now. Solid 3rd option who can avg 15-18 PPG in that system and guard the best perimeter player

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers schedule in the first 2 months can determine if they'll be a top 5 team or barely make the playoffs IMO

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To expect T.J. Warren to go from an uncertain role on the Suns (the worst team in the NBA) to a major contributor on an eastern conference contender is just not realistic. There's going to be some major growing pains there.

The Brogdon signing was a no-brainer. That said, I like him better as a two than as a one, where he'd be ver much a plodder in today's NBA. Though word is that he signed with the Pacers to be a full-time starting point guard...

The Pacers were seemingly hell-bent on adding Aaron Holiday's brother, Justin, to the team. But where does he play??? And what about his younger brother, as well as T.J. McConnell? If Brogdon "thinks" he's the starting PG and McConnell is the backup, where does that leave Aaron Holiday???

I haven't even yet mentioned the fact that Victor Oladipo is going to be out at least the first two months of the season, plus the fact we don't know what kind of player he'll be upon returning. Not to mention that our leading scorer while he was our last season, Bojan Bogdanovic, is no longer with the team (Utah can enjoy that contract, though).

Way too many "ifs" here. This is a playoff bubble team in the east at best. Not trying to be pessimistic, just being a realist...

And learning from our experience for three years ago when we had so much roster turnover heading into the 2016-17 season, namely bringing over Thad Young from what was a dismal Brooklyn team at the time.
If Oladipo was healthy I would feel much much better about them.

If Oladipo comes back healthy and is back in the swing of things by early-mid January they should be a very strong team.

They can absolutely add to the team if they trade Turner or Sabonis- as teams have inquired about both - both ahve trade value- and with the drafting of Bitadze- who was a solid value where taken- they can absolutely afford to trade one of them.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does Toronto replace Kawhi and Green though? They aren't a real threat for home court, and they may slip out of playoff contention altogether. They're going to need HUGE contributions from OG and Siakam to stay in the mix. Norman Powell as a starting SG doesn't exactly scare anyone.

Didn't say anything about a top four seed, just that they are better than the Pacers, who had underwent an even greater roster overhaul than they did in spite of losing Kawhi.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say anything about a top four seed, just that they are better than the Pacers, who had underwent an even greater roster overhaul than they did in spite of losing Kawhi.

I disagree, since the Pacers at least added someone of great value in Brogdon. Warren should be a major upgrade from Young offensively if he can keep up his recent shooting %s (and could offset the loss of Bogdanovic some as a result), but will be a downgrade defensively/rebounding.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, since the Pacers at least added someone of great value in Brogdon. Warren should be a major upgrade from Young offensively if he can keep up his recent shooting %s (and could offset the loss of Bogdanovic some as a result), but will be a downgrade defensively/rebounding.
Again, you misjudge things...
Brogdon they signed because Darren Collison decided to retire, his role with the Pacers will be totally different than the roll he had with Bucks... Brogdon will spend his entire minutes playing PG with the Pacers, while it was no more than 25% of his minutes doing so with the Bucks and only before Hill joined... After Hill joined the Bucks, Brogdon's minutes at PG were reduced further...

One should take in mind that Brogdon isn't exactly the fastest PG in the league, nor his footwork excels... Bogdanovic remains practically not replaced and he was a key player in the rotation... T.J. Warren has undersized wingspan, which causes him short length for a wing, basically the reason why he is a bad defender, but one shouldn't expect him to as productive as he was with the Suns anyway, given he will be easy to guard by the oversized wings that are in the East... The Pacers won't use Warren at 4 at all, he will be playing at 3 in what was basically Bojan's role and that is a huge handicap in the roster by definition...

All that said, I wish the Pacers end up 16th in the league and not further down... Otherwise my Bucks won't be able to cash that 1-15 protected pick next season... All Raptors, Celtics, Nets and Pistons will rank above the Pacers this season... Maybe the Magic can too if they can add a PG, the Heat should be the easier for the Pacers (counting on Olandipo missing less than 30 games) to beat for the 7th or 8th seed (depending on the Magic adding a PG or not) in the East...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collison was a free agent anyway (and a depth player at that), and Brogdon is the MUCH better player at this juncture.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, the decisive factor for the Pacers this season, will be Olandipo's return and Bogdanovic' departure...

One should factor that for a basketball player, a quadriceps torn is much worst than an ACL injury... Normally, Olandipo shouldn't be allowed to participate in any games this season until after the All Star break and then one shouldn't expect out of Olandipo to be the same as before after he returns... In fact, I'm sorry to say that Victor may never be able again to perform in his previous status after this injury...

With that in mind, losing Bogdanovic in addition is too costly for the Pacers... Therefore one should look on the investment the Pacers did on Brogdon as well as the rest of the additions they made, more like a "change of plans" (kind of a partial rebuilt within the guards and wings) than an upgrade...