• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's fun to laugh at fans with high expectations

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:
6358503959251317921209672407_046ebcb1bdbde6a38d62e9bbb30997cc.gif
Lived with a guy for two years, I have seen every episode at least 5-10 times and he just started watching after he moved out. Kind of hate him.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh heh...

I have never watched one minute of that show, yet through the magic of internet memes and GIFs, I know the dialogue of nearly every season
You are missing out, most rewatchable show I have ever seen. Jokes don't get old, actually you catch more things the more times you watch.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, true fans will watch their team even during the losing seasons, which makes the winning seasons so much better. I am a true fan and losses hurt, doesn't mean I want to give up on life. But fans like you, how can you really enjoy a win when it doesn't even matter. Go watch a romantic comedy and sip on some wine.

We enjoy an undefeated record against Ohio State.

*siiiiiipppp*

And we beat Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, SoCal, Nebraska, and Texas last time we played them also.
As a Gamecock, owning the college elite like a landlord just gets boring after a while. We need to schedule a couple NFL teams.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing out, most rewatchable show I have ever seen. Jokes don't get old, actually you catch more things the more times you watch.
This is very true. I'll stop after this, but just a few scenes that there would be no way I could keep a straight face in:
6b00fda7fcddc73ebb8c40fd1ffd1f6f.jpg

be583284264d128616305c2a37ea2b5b.jpg

sTzBB20.jpg

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very true. I'll stop after this, but just a few scenes that there would be no way I could keep a straight face in:
6b00fda7fcddc73ebb8c40fd1ffd1f6f.jpg

be583284264d128616305c2a37ea2b5b.jpg

sTzBB20.jpg
Sadly I never caught that facial expression. Awesome.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have high expectations that never get lived up to than to have no expectations at all. I try to keep my expectations realistic, but even this year where I think we're probably a 3 loss team, I'm still gonna be disappointed when we lose.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the OP realizes it but ever since Bud, OU's expectations have always been NC or bust. Maybe Stoops needs to talk to Barry a little more to understand exactly how to accomplish that.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell I've been so bludgeoned over the past seven years, I'm kinda numb.

but I've got to be positive, glass half full guy, because hell, If I'm not then I'm just not a fan anymore.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 375,244.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the OP realizes it but ever since Bud, OU's expectations have always been NC or bust. Maybe Stoops needs to talk to Barry a little more to understand exactly how to accomplish that.

"Step one: buy you a good sidearm, boy"

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell I've been so bludgeoned over the past seven years, I'm kinda numb.

but I've got to be positive, glass half full guy, because hell, If I'm not then I'm just not a fan anymore.
There ya go! Reminds me of how we felt during the Fran/Sherman years. Had a pretty good run in the 80's and 90's then spent the 2000's just hoping to go to a bowl. It goes up and down. It seems now days that the coaches have about two years to turn it around and their out the door. Only thing worse than being down and hiring a new HC is firing and rehiring a new HC every 4-5 years.

You should hear our bitchy entitled fan base. 5 years ago we were happy to be 6-6. Now, even if beating a ranked team the fans are complaining about it and calling for Sumlin's head.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you people need to get a grip...but please, don't.

As a Gamecock fan, I live a comfortable life with a complete absence of expectations that anything good will happen to my team - ever. It's very liberating; anxiety-free.

Even during the recent "best run in team history" ushered in by the late, great Steven Orr Spurrier (RIP), it was not exactly enjoyed by Carolina fans; we merely sat around in amazed silence, waiting for the other shoe to drop. And drop it did, in the middle of last season, when Spurrier died suddenly and left the team without a coach. Some of us cried, but many of us shrugged and said, "well, there it is..." now, back to life as normal...how about a whiskey drink?

It's as if we cannot be harmed as a species. Countless seasons of poor-to-mediocre results on the gridiron have left our souls calloused, toughened, thick and horny (not the good kind of horny, either).

As a result, when other fanbases are on suicide watch after an early-season slip up that renders their championship hopes slim at best, Gamecock fans are already in the clubhouse enjoying a drink and a cigar. We calmly pull up a chair, or stool, offer to buy the next round, and patronizingly slap the new arrivals on the back. Often this is accompanied by a wry smile, or even a knowing smirk, which is generally interpreted as schadenfreude, but is actually a wise sympathy. We are in the know, we understand and have come to accept a simple fact: in life, there will be very few "winners" and a much greater collection of those who did not. ("Losers" is no longer the fashionable term; for us, it is not about winning or losing, but in having a nice drink.)

Face facts, people: there are over 120 football teams in the highest subdivision, currently called FBS but formerly Division I-A. The odds of YOUR team winning the title, already, are therefore not that great. All those teams, 12 games (at least), some of which are against superior competition in hostile environments, and injuries (or suspensions) happen to your best players. It might rain, or even snow, the turf might be really bad, and sometimes the referees make costly mistakes (just ask Oklahoma State). Add to that, based on inequities with finances, facilities, coaching, and proximity to rich recruiting grounds, the odds are even greater against all but a handful of bluebloods, some of which have to play each other at least once during the year.

What's the takeaway from all this bullspit, you might ask? None. None whatsoever. Keep your hopes high, your dreams of winning alive, and keep going off the deep end whenever your team loses 3 games into the season and you're crying on the internet about how the whole program needs to be stripped to the jockstraps and started over from scratch with a new coach, new weight room, and possibly new mascot.

Because it's highly entertaining to us.
Note at no point did he mention Auburn! The jinx is over...natty on a platter!!!!

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn this thread even drew @KansasSooner away from his coed nurse sponge baths long enough to make a post.....
Seriously, ever since Bud and Barry the expectation has always been national championship. I don't care how many games Bob wins, until he starts winning NC's he's not in the same category as Bud and Barry.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There ya go! Reminds me of how we felt during the Fran/Sherman years. Had a pretty good run in the 80's and 90's then spent the 2000's just hoping to go to a bowl. It goes up and down. It seems now days that the coaches have about two years to turn it around and their out the door. Only thing worse than being down and hiring a new HC is firing and rehiring a new HC every 4-5 years.

You should hear our bitchy entitled fan base. 5 years ago we were happy to be 6-6. Now, even if beating a ranked team the fans are complaining about it and calling for Sumlin's head.

yeah, and for all the crying, yall have a pretty good football team. Fans are never happy.

I remember the 2009 Texas team: went to a National Championship game, but the team had severe flaws. In essence, they were Colt McCoy, Shipley and Quan Cosby. The defense was solid but not spectacular. But people had a hard time getting by the flaws and just enjoying the team.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How it feels to be stuck with Miles.

tumblr_ly7vnyJ4na1qa8xb8.gif