• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Its A Shame, What Has Happened To The Game

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been going on forever. In two cities, LA and NYC.

Remember a guy by the name of George Steinbrenner? Name one superstar that he didn't at least 'try' to buy?

Of course there wasn't any Luxury Tax back then.

Today, the Dodgers won't quit.
And when the spanks did buy their roster (the 80s), they sucked. When they changed their philosophy and “did it the right way” (90s), they put together an all-time dynasty.

I (sports) hate the doggies and spanks. But the current version of the doggies and the spanks of the last 30 years or so have not been particularly offensive in how they have roster-built. Their primary core has been developed or traded for with FA only filling specific holes. Sure, they are able to keep their own FAs, but I tend to think that is more about the media markets they are in and the players wanting to be there rather than their their big clubs ABILITY to keep them financially.

I believe that teams like the Pirates, A’s, Padres and Rays (among others, of course) CAN spend if they want, but they just chose not to. Just look at how the Padres have decided to step up and sit and the adult table the last few years. Detroit isn’t exactly an economic bustling market, yet they tend to be in the upper group of payrolls as well.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when the spanks did buy their roster (the 80s), they sucked. When they changed their philosophy and “did it the right way” (90s), they put together an all-time dynasty.

I (sports) hate the doggies and spanks. But the current version of the doggies and the spanks of the last 30 years or so have not been particularly offensive in how they have roster-built. Their primary core has been developed or traded for with FA only filling specific holes. Sure, they are able to keep their own FAs, but I tend to think that is more about the media markets they are in and the players wanting to be there rather than their their big clubs ABILITY to keep them financially.

I believe that teams like the Pirates, A’s, Padres and Rays (among others, of course) CAN spend if they want, but they just chose not to. Just look at how the Padres have decided to step up and sit and the adult table the last few years. Detroit isn’t exactly an economic bustling market, yet they tend to be in the upper group of payrolls as well.
Oakland County is Top Ten in the country as far as median income.

Over a million people, about 25-30 minutes from Comerica.

Tigers will have a larger payroll again in the next two-three years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland County is Top Ten in the country as far as median income.

Over a million people, about 25-30 minutes from Comerica.

Tigers will have a larger payroll again in the next two-three years.
The A’s situation is completely their own doing. They have next to zero radio or tv presence in the BA. The Giants completely own the area media. They also have relied on playing chicken with Oakland regarding a stadium deal rather than just getting the job done (the Giants did PAC Bell / AT&T / Oracle with almost all private money)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A’s situation is completely their own doing. They have next to zero radio or tv presence in the BA. The Giants completely own the area media. They also have relied on playing chicken with Oakland regarding a stadium deal rather than just getting the job done (the Giants did PAC Bell / AT&T / Oracle with almost all private money)
Was talking about Oakland County Michigan.

Oakland California reminded me of Wayne County/Detroit though.