1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Isaiah Thomas to return tomorrow night

Discussion in 'NBA Basketball Forum' started by bksballer89, Jan 1, 2018.

1. gordontrue

gordontrue Bandwagoner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

yeah, he obviously made a big jump, as you would hope any player would between their 3rd and 6th season.

Those 20 points were on a lot fewer shots and with a much less talented roster.

I'm not saying Stevens doesn't deserve any credit... of course he does. I just think a lot of people don't realize that IT had already shown the type of player he is long before he was a Celtic.

2. Gman

Gman Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

C'mon... you know those hopes don't usually pan out. A player making the leap to bonafide star on a good team is the exception, not the rule.
    Between those 2 seasons, IT shot a higher FG% in Boston. Furthermore, many critics pointed out that BOS was an overachieving team that out-performed their overall talent.
    I disagree with your overall point... I think there is a clear, significant jump from SAC IT to BOS IT.

3. gordontrue

gordontrue Bandwagoner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Yeah, no one expected IT to be a superstar. But any player who is still in the league after 6 seasons should be significantly better than they were in their 3rd season. I think that's a fair expectation.

His FG% was pretty much the same, just more shots in Boston.

I'm not saying there isn't a signifigant jump, I'm just not as keen to give all of that credit to Brad Stevens as others seem to be. Its not like IT was suddenly a completely different player in Boston. He had already shattered expectations and proven himself as a bonafide NBA scorer.

4. Gman

Gman Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

I guess we're not too far apart, then... I could certainly agree that Stevens didn't take lead and turn it into gold... IT was already a decent player... but I would only reiterate that sometimes that last jump... the jump from good to great... is the hardest of all, and no small feat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LogicMan

LogicMan Kasichs Cavalry 2020

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Danny Ainge had coveted IT from draft day. In fact, I believe Ainge still does. IT gave Boston something they did not have in a pure scorer and one who liked it in crunch time. But that confidence was boosted by brad in two ways: 1. Keep shooting as long as you have a good shot, 2. We will find a way to rotate you off your man on defense. Brad did alot to hide IT's challenges. Like I said earlier, IT is what a 6th man should be, and I would love to see him in Green again. Not a max player and never ask him to defend guys a foot taller

• Like Like x 1
  6. BrockForBroglio

BrockForBroglio Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 587

Why isn't IT playing tonight? Resting a player that fans have probably had this date circled?

7. Wamu

Wamu whats-a-matta-u?

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

From what I heard since IT just returned to the court the Cavs don't want him playing in back to backs yet.

8. tlance

tlance Kyrie Hater

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 12,200

And, they have to protect him from himself in what would be an extremely emotional game.

IT will have plenty of opportunity to face the Celtics this year. Best to wait until he is back in rhythm and without a minutes restriction.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tducey

tducey Sports discussion

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 8,400

If they didn't want him to play back to backs why not start him tonight in a possible East finals preview instead of last night vs. Portland.

10. Wamu

Wamu whats-a-matta-u?

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Agreed.

11. Wamu

Wamu whats-a-matta-u?

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Really? So you wanted to see him get his ankles snapped trying to guard Kyrie in his season debut? If IT played tonight Mr. Flat Earth would embarrass him. Not the best way to make your return to the court. I completely understand why he isn't playing tonight.

12. redseat

redseat Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,033

"I almost walked that way in their locker room," Thomas said with a laugh. "No, I mean, I love this city, I love this organization. They've given me the opportunity to be who I always wanted to be and I can't thank them enough. So there's no hard feelings to anybody in this city or anybody in this organization. And I'm glad I'm back.

"Like I always said, it's genuine love. And that's for the rest of my life here."

Thomas, who has admitted to being stung initially by the trade, had only seemingly harbored a bit of frustration toward Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and said in October that he "might not ever talk to Danny again."

But Thomas said Ainge reached out after his return to action Tuesday night and that they were good again.

Before Wednesday's game, Ainge and Thomas briefly chatted outside the Celtics' locker room, and the two embraced.

"Have I forgiven Danny?" Thomas said. "He texted me last night, so, yeah, we're good."

Thomas admitted to keeping close tabs on his former team during his rehab.

"I watch them a lot, I like how they play," said Thomas. "I love Brad Stevens. I love Marcus Smart, even though he flops all the time. I love Terry Rozier. I love the coaching staff. Like I said, there's no hard feelings."

Then, Thomas quipped, "The only hard feeling is Danny didn't send me no Christmas card this year."

13. DorianRo

DorianRo Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

...Another guy that plays no D. Cavs need defenders more than offensive threats.

14. LogicMan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

It was smart not to play him. Bring him back slowly and without the emotions linked to the trade. IT also is on board I am sure. He is playing this spring to obtain a max deal

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. bksballer89

bksballer89 Most Popular Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 29,344

16. gohusk

gohusk Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,000

It's a tough business and it's hard to criticize Ainge at this point given the Celtics performance so far but Pierce is just not a very likable guy and he needs to keep his mouth shut. And honoring Thomas would have been tacky to begin with. Ainge and the C's org need to just live with the decision that they traded one of the gutsiest players you'll ever see who was willing to step up when his life was in a complete tailspin. It was a cruel thing to do but it made business sense. I'm a huge IT fan but he obviously has limitations given his stature. .You run him under the rim into the bigs with their hands up and he's in trouble. Irving doesn't get in trouble that way because he's longer and stronger and can finish. There were obviously other pieces to the trade but these were the two big names involved. And as much as people bag on Irving's defense, I think it's actually improved a little bit.

17. LogicMan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

agreed

18. gohusk

gohusk Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,000

Every time I think of IT this comes to mind

Venoy Dipshit Overton was suspended for some stupid crap and Thomas was on the court for every minute but one for that tournament. Funny thing about the shot is that he said he was working with Jason Terry (UA alumn) on it during the off-season before.

19. gordontrue

gordontrue Bandwagoner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

As an Arizona fan.... me too. me too.

20. Gman

Gman Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,080

That was perfect... shot was a swish and it went in just as lights came on and clock was 0.0