• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Tim Hudson a Hall of Fame player ?

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the morning show with Murph and Mac on KNBR today and they brought up the question about Tim Hudson possibly being a Hall of Fame player. Mike Krukow was the guest and was pumped up talking about Hudson. Krukow mentioned all the intangibles that Hudson has and brought up the outing last week vs. the Mets when he battled for 5 innings without much stuff but kept the team in the game as the Giants pulled it out and won that game.

Hudson's record stands at a very respectable 212 -113 as he just passed the late Bob Welch who had 211 wins. Welch was a very respected player around the league. Hudson is on his way to passing some other big names in the game. Hudson's old teammate John Smoltz has 213 wins. Big Daddy Rick Reuschel has 214. Further up the list there are some names that raise some eyebrows. Curt Schilling is at 216,and Pedro Martinez has 219. Then there is Jim Bunning and Catfish Hunter at 224 wins and both of them are in the HOF.

Hudson's win/loss percentage is right around 60% which is excellent .Some will say he has not won a CY Young award or a WS Championship yet. He has been a three time All Star going on four this year. He was the AL wins Champion is 2000 with the A's. He owns the MLB record for the longest streak of 10 or more wins and 9 or fewer losses in a season ( 7 straight from 1999-2005) He is a five time 15 game winner and a 20 game winner in 2000. The stat that really jumps out at me is that Hudson has had a winning record every year since the beginning of his career 1999-present. The dude is a winner.

This year Hudson is shinning once again coming back from that nasty ankle injury in Atlanta last year. He has a shot at winning Comeback Player of the year. His 7-2 record and 1.81 ERA have been stellar and should land him in Minnesota for this years All Star Game. He has been a leader and a class individual his whole career and hopefully he can add that WS Championship or a Cy Young to his credentials this year. Krukow seems to think Hudson has what it takes to be a HOF player. I think he will get there too especially when he passes Bunning and Hunter for wins. I wish him the best and I hope he makes it.

Go Giants !!

Go Tim Hudson !!

:suds::clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly has to be on their radar. But he has more work to do. A strong finish to this year, capped by a WS MVP for him would certainly raise his stock.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is a valid question, but as it stands right now, I would have to say no. If he continues his dominance this year and finishes in top 5 for CY and gets a ring (as a major contributor in the Series) then I will need to re-address. But those are a lot of ifs at this point.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's very close, needs maybe one or two more good years IMO. His stats are quite good (125 ERA+, 3.39 ERA in a hitters era, 58.2 WAR), but he doesn't have that many innings or accolades (only 3 ASG appearances and only received CYA votes four years, finished as high as 2nd in 2000). I think Hudson has a better case than quite a few pitchers already enshrined or get plenty of consideration (Tommy John, Jack Morris, Jim Kaat, etc.).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now he is not imo.

and I can't believe (not stating this towards you Nava) that ASG appearances are even thought of as possible contributing factors to who or who doesn't get into The Hall. ASG's is a popularity contest, nothing more, nothing less!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this kind of surprising, but Hudson has the highest WAR among active pitchers. I figured it would have been Sabathia (he's 3rd at 54.2). Buehrle's barely behind Hudson with 58.0, but Buehrle's also a few years younger. And Buehrle already has more career innings pitched.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now he is not imo.

and I can't believe (not stating this towards you Nava) that ASG appearances are even thought of as possible contributing factors to who or who doesn't get into The Hall. ASG's is a popularity contest, nothing more, nothing less!

I couldn't care less about ASG appearances, but I'm sure the voters will take it into account.

Jeff Bagwell only had 4 ASG appearances. I think he should be enshrined without any doubts whatsoever. Great player.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't care less about ASG appearances, but I'm sure the voters will take it into account.

Jeff Bagwell only had 4 ASG appearances. I think he should be enshrined without any doubts whatsoever. Great player.

Oh I know. I wasn't saying you did. I am just saying that voters take that into account which is nonsense!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his career ended today, I'd say no. It'd be a close no, but IMO he's not a top 50 all-time pitcher.

Now, as has been said, if he puts up a CY level season this year and were to get a ring, then I think he WOULD be a top 50 pitcher. Right now, he's there with Saberhagen for me -- The Hall of Really Good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at ASGs only because it is, at least to a degree, a gauge of how the player is viewed in the baseball world at the time (a snapshot, if you will). How a player is perceived at the time I think reflects the "eyeball" test. If a player is in a lot of ASGs but his numbers are slightly low, then that says he brought that "je ne se qua" (sp?) that is very important.

I am surprised that the MLB does not do an All-MLB team (or All-AL/All-NL teams) at the end of the year that is voted on by players and managers. I would imagine that these would carry quite a bit of weight in HOF voting, and it would be a better representation of a players year than any of the existing methods.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his career ended today, I'd say no. It'd be a close no, but IMO he's not a top 50 all-time pitcher.

Now, as has been said, if he puts up a CY level season this year and were to get a ring, then I think he WOULD be a top 50 pitcher. Right now, he's there with Saberhagen for me -- The Hall of Really Good.

Well, there's already a good amount of pitchers in the HOF that sure as hell aren't top 50 pitchers.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a bit shy of HOF as of yet, but he should be the All Star Game starter this year. Him or Wainwright.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a bit shy of HOF as of yet, but he should be the All Star Game starter this year. Him or Wainwright.

I don't see the argument for Hudson over Cueto, who leads the NL in ERA+, WHIP, innings, K's, complete games, and BAA

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the argument for Hudson over Cueto, who leads the NL in ERA+, WHIP, innings, K's, complete games, and BAA

Good catch. Probably correct.