• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the trend back to 4-3 a running QB thing?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was just thinking about the few teams who have moved back to a 4-3 (Cowboys, Pats, Fish, Broncos, Bills sort of... minus the Eagles & Siants). Do you think this trend has to do with the fact that more teams are getting QBs who like to run the ball, and they need faster LBs to keep 'em from going all Colin Kaepernick on their asses?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oops! Y'know, I meant to post this on the Niners' forum, but feel free to reply here.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's related. The patriots have always run a healthy blend of both and choose primarily based on what players they have available. A lot of the others just felt they needed a change because they had bad years. It happens regularly and I don't think the option matters.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, I mean Ware was blitzing on every play anyway so he was essentially a DE. Also, don't put any logic into decisions made by Jerry Jones.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Um, I mean Ware was blitzing on every play anyway so he was essentially a DE.

True, but they still didn't have 4-3 personnel most of the time. Anthony Spencer would (will) be a DE in a 4-3 as well.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just depends on personnel. If you think you have personnel to build a tough front 4... Go with it. Look at the Texans.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about the few teams who have moved back to a 4-3 (Cowboys, Pats, Fish, Broncos, Bills sort of... minus the Eagles & Siants). Do you think this trend has to do with the fact that more teams are getting QBs who like to run the ball, and they need faster LBs to keep 'em from going all Colin Kaepernick on their asses?

Well you also have some teams trying to go 3-4 like the Saints and the Falcons will have sort of hybrid 3-4...I think it's personnel driven. IMO the hardest position to fill in the NFL after QB is a 4-3 DE. We're seeing a lot of hybrid kind of players coming in the league...this past draft had about 4 or 5 guys in the 1st round...lanky body types, speedy, not real strong...it's be interesting to see how Jordan, Ansah, & Mingo fare this season.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, its not everyday you are able to land a Julius Peppers 4-3 type of defensive end. I think its easier to use those hybrid type of players in a pass rush situation in the 4-3 then it is with the 3-4. They give the defensive coordinator more creation to work with. The quickness of those hybrid players when lined up against offensive guards is a struggle for them. Not trying to single out my team but the Bears line was a good example of the flexibility you have with the 4-3 defensive line.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is easier to switch from a 4-3 to Nickel than it is from 3-4. This is a pass happy league and I somewhat remember from the 49ers forum that our NT Sopoaga only played something like 30% of their snaps last season because they spent more time in Nickel than their base defense. The 49ers can stick with their base 3-4 because it is really easy for them to move Justin Smith inside when they go to Nickel and still have a very good edge rush from Aldon Smith, other teams don't have that luxury.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The broncos rarely are in their base 4-3 line-up. Our MLB is only on the field for 30% of the snaps, due to running more nickel and dime looks.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is easier to switch from a 4-3 to Nickel than it is from 3-4. This is a pass happy league and I somewhat remember from the 49ers forum that our NT Sopoaga only played something like 30% of their snaps last season because they spent more time in Nickel than their base defense. The 49ers can stick with their base 3-4 because it is really easy for them to move Justin Smith inside when they go to Nickel and still have a very good edge rush from Aldon Smith, other teams don't have that luxury.

You could just run a MLB off and play a 3-3-5. There's so many different sub packages in today's NFL though that what your base defense is matters less.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spread offense kind of hurts the 3-4 defense. A team like the Giants showed that they were better built to shut it down with their ability to rush the QB with 4 DL, allowing extra guys to defend the spread.

A 3-4 defense has 3 big DL, and 2 OLB that shouldn't be covering out covering, when you spread them out. Teams want to put 4 DL to get after the QB.

I know t he Jets play a multiple front defense, they are labeled a 3-4 defense but have played it a very small percentage of the time.