• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is season as far as going deep in playoffs over W/QB injuries

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy looked good but so have many others in a short sample size. I have no Idea about Purdy or who his back up will be. I have always except for real hated rivals been sympathetic when some teams have crazy amounts of injuries and key injuries but the trend continues for the Niners and I hate it. :ohwell: :frusty::pout::gaah:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy looked good but so have many others in a short sample size. I have no Idea about Purdy or who his back up will be. I have always except for real hated rivals been sympathetic when some teams have crazy amounts of injuries and key injuries but the trend continues for the Niners and I hate it. :ohwell: :frusty::pout::gaah:
I think we could still make the playoffs, win the division, and even win a first rd playoff game, but as far as going deep in the playoffs, it doesn't look good.

Sure, we don't really know anything about Purdy yet, but the good news is that he makes the easy throws look easy and he didn't seem overwhelmed against Miami. He had a rather gutsy performance where he threw the ball with conviction and wasn't afraid to try and squeeze a pass in here or there. So far, he looks serviceable, but we just don't know enough to be confident for a deep playoff run.

Seems that Jimmy has a major injury every other year. He was hurt in 2018, healthy in 2019 (SB), hurt in 2020, healthy in 2021 (NFCCG), and hurt this year. LOL, we should've known!

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like a flashback to the last 3rd stringer that took over that also wore #13... none other than Steve Bono! I'll root for the best, but our chances of getting deep into the playoffs definitely took a hit. Hoping that a week of working with the 1's makes a difference, but it could also go pretty bad.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First you lose your 1st string QB and then you lose your 2nd, geezus. Ordinarily this means doom in this game and rest of the season, but lo and behold Brock Purdy put up a GOOD game. Yes, he didn't look like Mr Irrelevent?! Just the fact it was his very first live action, what a solid performance.

Don't see why he can't continue doing what he did in this game....distribute the ball on short plays? We have the skill players that can make these plays work for the rest of the Regular season. Miami was blitzing and no doubt TB will do the same, can't ask Purdy to hold the ball and throw long.

Not going to say anything about play-offs just yet, lets see how Purdy does with a larger sample size? TB is going to mix up their defense for sure and bring pressure, McGlinchey needs to step up his pass protect game. The O-line/TE/RB can't have miscommunication on stunts and blitzes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting to me......they took Josh Johnson when Jacob Eason was already on the PS? Not implying Eason is clearly better, but he's been learning the scheme and is already with the 49er players and coaches. They obviously deemed Johnson much better despite having to now learn and acclimate to the CURRENT situation.

I know Johnson has been with the 49ers multiple times, but now is now. He's no longer a spring chicken so wonder if he can still move much?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First you lose your 1st string QB and then you lose your 2nd, geezus. Ordinarily this means doom in this game and rest of the season, but lo and behold Brock Purdy put up a GOOD game. Yes, he didn't look like Mr Irrelevent?! Just the fact it was his very first live action, what a solid performance.

Don't see why he can't continue doing what he did in this game....distribute the ball on short plays? We have the skill players that can make these plays work for the rest of the Regular season. Miami was blitzing and no doubt TB will do the same, can't ask Purdy to hold the ball and throw long.
Not going to say anything about play-offs just yet, lets see how Purdy does with a larger sample size? TB is going to mix up their defense for sure and bring pressure, McGlinchey needs to step up his pass protect game. The O-line/TE/RB can't have miscommunication on stunts and blitzes.
If Lance had had a game like that, we'd all be pretty happy. So, I'm rather thrilled by how well Purdy did out there. Sure, Purdy lacks the physical tools that Lance has, but Purdy is also so much more like Jimmy. Similar limitations, but he's more mobile. This next game will be something to see.

Hopefully the OL play improves in this next game b/c the Phins' interior DL was killing us. Tampa has a top defense, so this won't be a cakewalk--5th in points allowed and 8th in yards allowed. The trick is that the Bucs are 18th in rushing yards allowed, so we could really see the running game wake up in this one, even though the Bucs will no doubt load the LOS and dare Purdy to pass.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lance had had a game like that, we'd all be pretty happy. So, I'm rather thrilled by how well Purdy did out there. Sure, Purdy lacks the physical tools that Lance has, but Purdy is also so much more like Jimmy. Similar limitations, but he's more mobile. This next game will be something to see.

Hopefully the OL play improves in this next game b/c the Phins' interior DL was killing us. Tampa has a top defense, so this won't be a cakewalk--5th in points allowed and 8th in yards allowed. The trick is that the Bucs are 18th in rushing yards allowed, so we could really see the running game wake up in this one, even though the Bucs will no doubt load the LOS and dare Purdy to pass.
I expect a heavy dose of the run game... but similar to the fins game, if they stack the box, Shanahan will start calling quick passes. Crazy that Purdy threw the ball 37 times last week. Anytime JG throws more than 30 times, we generally lose.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yep, had it been Lance we'd be even MORE elated. I have yet to see Lynch or Shannahan clearly state Lance isn't 100% healthy? We get the fallout should he get hurt again THIS season, but sooner or later Lance needs to play. ASSUMING he'll be healthy in a few weeks, will they wait to see if we make the play-offs before deciding?

Yes, all the players know they have to step up their game and more so the O-line/TE/RB (pass protect). If a linemen gets beat hopefully Brock hits the hot read or throws it away, but avoid miscommunication errors.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expect a heavy dose of the run game... but similar to the fins game, if they stack the box, Shanahan will start calling quick passes. Crazy that Purdy threw the ball 37 times last week. Anytime JG throws more than 30 times, we generally lose.
I'd expect TB to pressure Brock just like Miami was doing? I'd expect TB to mix in "run blitzing" making it harder to call a 'heavy dose'? We do need to run of course, but 'heavy dose' will depend on what TB does?

If we continue to do what we did this last game - get the ball out quick to our skill players - that should work too. Get it out wide (Deebo), get it over the middle (Kittle), or out of the backfield (CMC). I get we might need a few longer throws here and there, but generally take advantage of our skill players. We won't get chunk yards but we'll control the clock.

Tampa Bay averages around 20 points a game, so 4 field goals won't cut it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ASSUMING we get that far, does make sense to activate JG as a back-up. Although he'd be rusty should he play, better than Johnson who hasn't played much with this team.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confused, what’s the Lance being healthy stuff? He’s not back this year at all. He just had a second surgery. Jimmy possibly but Trey was a done deal a long time ago. Purdy has also looked good, we definitely should make a deep run, this is a Super Bowl caliber team.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If "Joe" Purdy leads us to the Big Game then he deserves to start it.
Having JimmyG standing on the side lines and available for the game can only be a good thing

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Confused, what’s the Lance being healthy stuff? He’s not back this year at all. He just had a second surgery. Jimmy possibly but Trey was a done deal a long time ago. Purdy has also looked good, we definitely should make a deep run, this is a Super Bowl caliber team.
Yeah, Trey Lance underwent a second surgery not long ago, so now it makes sense to keep him sidelined. Since JG knows this scheme, players, and coaches, makes sense for him to back up Purdy. Will JG actually be ready to go, we'll see?

Purdy has opened up the offense for sure, and as long as this team scores in the 30's, we'll make a SB run for sure. However, isn't this scoring a little 'masked' with all these turnovers? Play-off teams are unlikely to give it up this many times, so our offense will need TD's vice FG's.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah JG to back up Purdy in the playoffs. I wouldn’t being Jimmy in over Purdy at this point either unless Purdy really starts to struggle. He has been playing well and bringing Kittle alive again which is huge. I never understood how Kittle wasn’t getting more touches anyway. Dude is a fricken beast and now Mitchell and Deebo back!! We should be very dangerous.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah JG to back up Purdy in the playoffs. I wouldn’t being Jimmy in over Purdy at this point either unless Purdy really starts to struggle. He has been playing well and bringing Kittle alive again which is huge. I never understood how Kittle wasn’t getting more touches anyway. Dude is a fricken beast and now Mitchell and Deebo back!! We should be very dangerous.
We now start to play better and better defenses, so Purdy's stats will dip a little bit. But don't see him "falling off a cliff" or otherwise playing badly. Just keep doing what you're doing....... get it to the playmakers and yes Kittle is a good example.

What Kittle has done is going to draw attention, helping the WR's get open.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Weather....sheesh! The heavy favorites never want bad weather so Seattle is getting help. We now have to wonder about tosses to the RB or WR? If we do in fact lean on the run game, limit CMC's "between the tackle" runs.

For the passing game, leaning on shorter throws isn't so bad but i'd be thinking more inside throws (essentially dump offs) than outside. I'd think no passes behind the LOS (laterals) either, just too dangerous if they mishandle it (ie Deebo). Deebo needs to go down and not fight for 1 more yard, they'll try to rip it from him cause his arms are weak.

We won't be able to run the entire offense but better to have no turnovers. Seattle can only win if WE make the mistakes including bad penalties.

Walker is clearly their main weapon, especially in this weather. But Seattle knows they have to take a few chances passing downfield, Hufanga NEEDS to keep his eyes on his correct reads.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weather....sheesh! The heavy favorites never want bad weather so Seattle is getting help. We now have to wonder about tosses to the RB or WR? If we do in fact lean on the run game, limit CMC's "between the tackle" runs.

For the passing game, leaning on shorter throws isn't so bad but i'd be thinking more inside throws (essentially dump offs) than outside. I'd think no passes behind the LOS (laterals) either, just too dangerous if they mishandle it (ie Deebo). Deebo needs to go down and not fight for 1 more yard, they'll try to rip it from him cause his arms are weak.

We won't be able to run the entire offense but better to have no turnovers. Seattle can only win if WE make the mistakes including bad penalties.

Walker is clearly their main weapon, especially in this weather. But Seattle knows they have to take a few chances passing downfield, Hufanga NEEDS to keep his eyes on his correct reads.
There are incredible contributors here and I wonder if anyone could find out if Purdy has experience in bad weather.