• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Mitchell a Chucker?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like true shooting percentage in this context. When I am talking about shooting from the field, I don’t care how they shoot free throws or how many points he got. I would like a shooting percentage that reflects a weighted average of three pointers and two pointers based upon the norm.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like true shooting percentage in this context. When I am talking about shooting from the field, I don’t care how they shoot free throws or how many points he got. I would like a shooting percentage that reflects a weighted average of three pointers and two pointers based upon the norm.

Then that's effective field goal %.

I'll do the same queries, but sort by eFG. It will really just be Irving and Mitchell, although one of them included 2 other players.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN correlates the Jazz success to Mitchell's True Shooting Percentage.

++++++++++++

Here's what's wrong with every West playoff team

The Jazz are 28-6 when Mitchell posts a true shooting percentage (TS%) higher than 54, but they're 16-21 when he shoots worse than that. That's a lot of pressure on one player when the other top scorers -- Rudy Gobert, Ricky Rubio, and Jae Crowder -- don't scare anyone on offense.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell is the only 6'3 guard in history who had a usage rate of 30%, in his first two years combined.

http://bkref.com/tiny/qZIG2

If I lower it to 29%, then we have 2 players, Kyrie Irving, and Mitchell.

http://bkref.com/tiny/sx4Re

Irving's TS% was .559, to Mitchell's .530.

If I lower it to 28%, we still don't find any more players.

If I set the height from 6'2 to 6'3, instead of only 6'3, then we still don't find any more players.

If I say the height can be as short as possible, then we still don't find any more players.

The it's hard to draw a conclusion, when there have been so few players who have had the same role as Mitchell, in history.

Only Kyrie Irving is comparable. He was a moderately better shooter, according to TS %.

If I change the usage rate to 27%, then we have Trae Young and Dennis Smith. Mitchell is a better shooter than both.

I really don't want to go lower than 27%.

In case you're wondering why Allen Iverson's name didn't come up yet, it's because he dropped his usage rate to 26.9%, his 2nd year. His TS% was worse than Mitchell's.

It seems that Mitchell is shooting reasonably decent for his usage rate, but other than Irving, no one else has shot as often as he.

It would be better though if he got closer to Irving's level, because Irving was still better than him.

Here's the queries using eFG instead.

If I set to height to 6'3 only, then Irving and Mitchell have very similar eFGs.

http://bkref.com/tiny/6ykVK

If I lower the usage rate from 29% to 28%, and lower the height to 6'2" through 6'3", then Trae Young gets added to this list.

http://bkref.com/tiny/rd9tP

They have similar eFGs.

So we can say that Irving, Mitchell, and Trae Young were similar players at those heights, for their first two years of their careers.

With Young, his shooting has improved a lot since January onwards.

I don't know if Mitchell has any changes in splits like that.