• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Call of Duty becoming a gateway game?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call of Duty is no longer going to be a twitch shooter it seems.

According to people who play the beta, the game seems to be based around a slower time to kill. This puts it more in line with Rainbow 6 Siege, vanilla Destiny 2 PVP, Overwatch and most importantly Fortnite.

It also looks like Call of Duty has completely vacated its campaign so I guess ID software gets the twitch single-player market all to itself.

They seem to be making Call of Duty a game for casuals. If my time with Destiny 2 has shown me anything its that this year's CoD is probably going to be really unpopular but maybe they are just setting themselves up for a showdown with Fortnite over the next couple of years.

Any thoughts from people who have played it?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have COD WW II. It’s probably the only game I play anymore. I don’t game much though.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call of Duty is no longer going to be a twitch shooter it seems.

According to people who play the beta, the game seems to be based around a slower time to kill. This puts it more in line with Rainbow 6 Siege, vanilla Destiny 2 PVP, Overwatch and most importantly Fortnite.

It also looks like Call of Duty has completely vacated its campaign so I guess ID software gets the twitch single-player market all to itself.

They seem to be making Call of Duty a game for casuals. If my time with Destiny 2 has shown me anything its that this year's CoD is probably going to be really unpopular but maybe they are just setting themselves up for a showdown with Fortnite over the next couple of years.

Any thoughts from people who have played it?
How is a slower TTK made for casuals?

Anyways CoD doesn’t know what to do with their games. It’s why you see them copying other popular games like Battlefield, Overwatch, and Battle Royale.

Ghosts, IW and AW were such disasters they’re just trying to latch on to the popular flavor of the month instead of trying anything innovative.

Preorders for BOps 4 are outperforming BF5 by 85% right now, so Activision is happy.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is a slower TTK made for casuals?
Because its harder to get killstreaks with a slow TTK. Gameplay becomes teamshooting. Good for coordinated teams. Bad for 'hero' gameplay. Initially that sounds like it makes the game more competitive but in reality its harder to stand out and there becomes less incentive to get better at the game unless you have an absolutely massive ttk difference between body and head shots.

Maybe there are some mechanics in the mix that I'm missing.

Anyways CoD doesn’t know what to do with their games. It’s why you see them copying other popular games like Battlefield, Overwatch, and Battle Royale.

Ghosts, IW and AW were such disasters their just trying to latch on to the popular flavor of the month instead of trying anything innovative.
Agreed. It actually looked like they did know what they were doing when they did WWII. Thats their market.

I think they just realized that Fortnite just came in and stole their player base. So instead of doubling down on making their core product better, they are making CoD into something else and if recent trends have shown anything its that alienating your core audience is suicide.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call of Duty jumped the shark a loooooong time ago. For me it's like Madden where it's basically the same thing every year. I can barely play a couple matches before I'm bored of it and ready for something more interesting.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because its harder to get killstreaks with a slow TTK. Gameplay becomes teamshooting. Good for coordinated teams. Bad for 'hero' gameplay. Initially that sounds like it makes the game more competitive but in reality its harder to stand out and there becomes less incentive to get better at the game unless you have an absolutely massive ttk difference between body and head shots.

Maybe there are some mechanics in the mix that I'm missing.

Agreed. It actually looked like they did know what they were doing when they did WWII. Thats their market.

I think they just realized that Fortnite just came in and stole their player base. So instead of doubling down on making their core product better, they are making CoD into something else and if recent trends have shown anything its that alienating your core audience is suicide.

IMO, it really puts a ceiling on individual skill ceilings. It was a lot harder for someone to carry in Halo 2 or 3 than it was in Halo 1. I also feel like it just resulted in a lot of stalemates in those games.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the fast TTK in Halo 1, it could still play like Chess at the 2v2 level.

Missingno has a bunch of great commentary videos that provide a lot of insight into playing H1 as well.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it really puts a ceiling on individual skill ceilings. It was a lot harder for someone to carry in Halo 2 or 3 than it was in Halo 1. I also feel like it just resulted in a lot of stalemates in those games.
I didn't really follow Halo too much back in the day but you'll have top Destiny streamers often talk about what works in Halo and why it worked and then they wonder why Destiny 2 didn't go the same direction.

You'll see things like 'Destiny 2 catered to casuals too much' if you pay too much attention to the hate its gotten in the past year. Destiny 2's PVP is getting reworked for its new DLC coming out next month so it almost looks like CoD is filling the vacancy of team-based capped skill-ceiling gameplay.

The thing that makes this interesting is that Call of Duty is now multiplayer only. It needs some incentive structure to keep people coming back which seems like the future of CoD is its ability to either really take out Battlefield or Fortnite this year. I find it hard to believe that promoting women in Battlefield will tank its popularity but outside of that I think we're looking another disappointing CoD.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That CoD Post Malone commercial is the worst thing I've ever seen