• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

International Travel with Electronics

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game is changing with traveling the world with electronics. Doing underwater photography, I travel with a crap ton of them & dealing with all the rules gets challenging at times.

First, lithium batteries. We know they can be a danger and airlines are starting to pay a lot of attention. I've been told Australia has been known to limit how many you can bring in & confiscate the rest but, so far, even carrying a number of extra batteries, haven't had to surrender any.

Air France asked me to cover the ends of the terminals w/tape. Don't use duct, scotch or masking. Painter's tape works best. Then again, Egypt came unglued at them being taped & removed each tape to look at them. Umm kay.

Many Pacific countries are limiting the size of power banks. There have been a handful of fires due to them. I have a monster Anker 26000 powercore. It slides in under the maximum allowed. I recently picked up a smaller Anker since the 26000 weighs a freaking ton.

Have not had any have issues with my portable solar power charger but been asked about it a few times.

The vast number of underwater lights I carry has gotten me stopped more than a few times. These are enclosed battery systems, so it's not like I can tape ends. You'd think places with heavy dive tourism would understand underwater lights.

To minimize the concern, I recently picked up a clever item. It's a safety bag for items with lithium ion batteries. I fill it with my extra camera batteries, power bank, phones, etc. So far, it's been well accepted by the TSAs around the world.

51qgYWiuNHL.jpg

They have varying sizes, so at some point I may end up putting my lights in some.

Since you absolutely cannot put any of these in the hold & they are getting a bit testy about the weight & size of carry on, this is a nice feature.

Anyway, just a PSA on what's going on in many countries with lithium batteries, power banks and all the stuff we carry along that has internal batteries. Airlines are taking harder looks at what we are carrying on their planes.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reminded me I need to charge my battery this week.