• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

International Travel SIM cards

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI for those who use international travel SIM cards.

I recently ordered World Sim since my previous company (ekit) had started to provide horrible service. It is a British based company. I paid for an exclusive local US number for a year.

Tonight I was testing it & couldn't make phone calls to my US based mobile phone. Found out, they can't make text messages to any Verizon customer in the US. You can call but not text. NOTHING in their info says anything about not being able to use with Verizon customers

They indicated it was a Verizon policy, not theirs but they still, IMO, have an obligation to tell US customers they can't contact anyone back home via text who is a Verizon customer.

When I complained, they basically said, too bad.

So I contacted OneSim (their chief competitor). NO problem texting Verizon or any other customers in the US.

So BUYER BEWARE if you are looking for an international SIM to text home with. Learn from my expensive lesson mistake

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I recently ordered World Sim since my previous company (ekit) had started to provide horrible service. It is a British based company. I paid for an exclusive local US number for a year.

Tonight I was testing it & couldn't make phone calls to my US based mobile phone. Found out, they can't make text messages to any Verizon customer in the US. You can call but not text. NOTHING in their info says anything about not being able to use with Verizon customers

They indicated it was a Verizon policy, not theirs but they still, IMO, have an obligation to tell US customers they can't contact anyone back home via text who is a Verizon customer.

So I contacted OneSim (their chief competitor). NO problem texting Verizon or any other customers in the US.

So BUYER BEWARE if you are looking for an international SIM to text home with. Learn from my expensive lesson mistake
Could you just use WhatsApp instead? I actually use WhatsApp more than texting now, anyway

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

get a google voice number and text with that.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you just use WhatsApp instead? I actually use WhatsApp more than texting now, anyway

Does what's app use a data link?

I only use data with the local country sims

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, of you aren't on WiFi, WhatsApp uses your mobile data which I dont get because the rates are often wicked in the countries I'm traveling in.

I just need to send quick text to say I've arrived or leaving.

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, of you aren't on WiFi, WhatsApp uses your mobile data which I dont get because the rates are often wicked in the countries I'm traveling in.

I just need to send quick text to say I've arrived or leaving.
TBH, I only use WiFi when I travel internationally anyway.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, I only use WiFi when I travel internationally anyway.

I use WiFi when it's available but you'd be surprised at the number of small country airports without it.

Mostly I pick up an in country data sim when I land, way cheaper than these international sim countries charge. And sometimes better than the hotel or resort wifi.

The international sim is so I dont have to worry about switching sims immediately when I move country to country. Even then, it doesn't work in all, like the Solomon Islands.

Reactions: gob

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

T-Mobile is the best for overseas usage. Just boot up on their network, and it's like being at home. Worked well in South Africa, Australia, Ireland and the UK.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Mobile is the best for overseas usage. Just boot up on their network, and it's like being at home. Worked well in South Africa, Australia, Ireland and the UK.

Not wild about using their network exclusively. My SIM let's me move between local networks for best fit.

I'd need to check their rates. I dont use data on mine, simply talk and text. It's FAR cheaper to pick up a local SIM for data and local calling.

Ooops, just saw that if you try to use for more than one billing period,there are issues. Apparently it requires the bulk of the use must be in the US

With me gone months at a time, this wouldnt do. I'm not a T Mobile customer in the US. My SIM is a pay as you go since it may be 6 months between trips.

But thanks for the heads up.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wild about using their network exclusively. My SIM let's me move between local networks for best fit.

I'd need to check their rates. I dont use data on mine, simply talk and text. It's FAR cheaper to pick up a local SIM for data and local calling.

Ooops, just saw that if you try to use for more than one billing period,there are issues. Apparently it requires the bulk of the use must be in the US

With me gone months at a time, this wouldnt do. I'm not a T Mobile customer in the US. My SIM is a pay as you go since it may be 6 months between trips.

But thanks for the heads up.
Gotcha!

Never thought about being gone longer than a few weeks.