• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Input Needed: trade about to be vetoed

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to provide some background here, because it all matters. My team is currently in 12th place put of 14 and I am dealing with the owner in first, who is in a tight race. I feel the need to trade, because there is a loser tax in this league. Bottom 2 get taxed $50 and $75 each. I am 2 points out of last.

This is a standard 5x5 league with a 1450 innings limit for pitchers. My hitters have underachieved horribly. I am doing OK in HRs and RBI, but have 3 points in runs, 3 in SBs and 2 in BA. On the pitching side, I am doing well in saves (11 points) and am close to the top guy if I can get a few more. I am also second to last in both wins and K's, because my SPs imploded last month and I have been using only Syndergaard and Carrasco for the past 3 weeks.

My strategy has been to punt starting pitching and roll with RPs in all 9 of my pitching spots. Over the past 3 weeks, I have gone from 4 points each in ERA and WHIP to 7 and 9 respectively. I will continue to gain ground there simply because I have moved away from ERA/WHIP killers like Stroman, Keuchel, and Corbin.

I have been aggressively shopping Symdergaard and Carraso for 3 weeks. I have offered trades to 9 or 10 of the 14 teams, most of which have either been rejected or completely ignored. The only owner to respond to any of my offers was the team on first. After 2 weeks of haggling with him, this is where we landed:

I give: (Y! YTD ranks listed beside each player involved)
Abreu: 216
Syndergaard: 21
Carrasco: 131
Saunders: 135

For:
Betts: 3
R. Davis: 65
Oh: 118
Siegrist: 163

Right now, many owners are voting to veto, and I am really pissed. I have spent more time putting this deal together then some in the league have spent managing their teams. I improve in runs, SBs, BA, Saves, and ERA + WHIP (amazingly true). My calculations say this deal will give me 10-15 points in the standings.

Am I right to be upset here? I know my side carries a lot more name value, but I am dealing with a buyers market because literally nobody showed any interest in any of my SPs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I have Brantley on my DL, so Davis is more valuable to me than anybody else.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not real knowledgeable in baseball, but I hate vetoes period. I would not care if you went full Hinkie in your trade.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem probably is you are helping the 1st place team to improve a whole bunch is why its getting vetoed( not saying thats right just alot view it that way)
u improve in runs and sb and a little in avg so bats are fairly even but pitching u gain saves but lose wins and Ks era and whip who knows reliever just needs 1 bad inning for that to baloon:suds:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to provide some background here, because it all matters. My team is currently in 12th place put of 14 and I am dealing with the owner in first, who is in a tight race. I feel the need to trade, because there is a loser tax in this league. Bottom 2 get taxed $50 and $75 each. I am 2 points out of last.

This is a standard 5x5 league with a 1450 innings limit for pitchers. My hitters have underachieved horribly. I am doing OK in HRs and RBI, but have 3 points in runs, 3 in SBs and 2 in BA. On the pitching side, I am doing well in saves (11 points) and am close to the top guy if I can get a few more. I am also second to last in both wins and K's, because my SPs imploded last month and I have been using only Syndergaard and Carrasco for the past 3 weeks.

My strategy has been to punt starting pitching and roll with RPs in all 9 of my pitching spots. Over the past 3 weeks, I have gone from 4 points each in ERA and WHIP to 7 and 9 respectively. I will continue to gain ground there simply because I have moved away from ERA/WHIP killers like Stroman, Keuchel, and Corbin.

I have been aggressively shopping Symdergaard and Carraso for 3 weeks. I have offered trades to 9 or 10 of the 14 teams, most of which have either been rejected or completely ignored. The only owner to respond to any of my offers was the team on first. After 2 weeks of haggling with him, this is where we landed:

For:

Right now, many owners are voting to veto, and I am really pissed. I have spent more time putting this deal together then some in the league have spent managing their teams. I improve in runs, SBs, BA, Saves, and ERA + WHIP (amazingly true). My calculations say this deal will give me 10-15 points in the standings.

Am I right to be upset here? I know my side carries a lot more name value, but I am dealing with a buyers market because literally nobody showed any interest in any of my SPs.

Ironically, from the poster who says to veto MOST trades... I don't see why this one is getting such an outcry...
This is one that I wouldn't veto...

@Mebert, I really hate when posters comment that they hate vetoing... We all hate it... But the league has it, and it is clearly an active response to a trade... Our feelings about vetoing is irrelevant...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert, I really hate when posters comment that they hate vetoing... We all hate it... But the league has it, and it is clearly an active response to a trade... Our feelings about vetoing is irrelevant...

Fair enough, I just think it is a terrible idea to have them. I have been in too many leagues where trades are rare, and then the moment one finally happens it gets vetoed, and from that point no one tries again. I think it is a league killer.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, I just think it is a terrible idea to have them. I have been in too many leagues where trades are rare, and then the moment one finally happens it gets vetoed, and from that point no one tries again. I think it is a league killer.

That's why most of us prefer leagues with NO VETO at all... which this league should have since there is already a penalty in place for sucking...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have some big names going the other way for RPs. But Betts is a beast. You're geting th #3 player overall. But based o the YTD rankings you are pretty easily winning this deal.

I gotta give you props for creativity on 9 RPs.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny part of this deal is that the player Yahoo ranks the WORST is the player that i think is causing the most controversy here...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny part of this deal is that the player Yahoo ranks the WORST is the player that i think is causing the most controversy here...

It's hard to deal with a guy like Abreu.

You've seen him be a stud, but he is hurting this year. Considering a non keeper league...hard to hold on. The man is trying to save money.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, I appreiciate the feedback. I wanted to make sure I was not going crazy here.

Thing is, trades almost never get vetoed in this league. It has happened twice in the 8 years I have been in it, and this group plays all 3 sports (football, baseball, basketball).

If Milk says no to the veto, then I feel pretty clearly that I have right to be upset here. :suds:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem probably is you are helping the 1st place team to improve a whole bunch is why its getting vetoed( not saying thats right just alot view it that way)
u improve in runs and sb and a little in avg so bats are fairly even but pitching u gain saves but lose wins and Ks era and whip who knows reliever just needs 1 bad inning for that to baloon:suds:

I don't lose ERA and WHIP. My worst RP is Ramos. Everyone else has WHIPs under 1. I agree RPs can be volatile, but from here on out, I expect to get about 300-350 innings with an ERA under 2.50 and a WHIP under 1.0.

I agree that Syndergaard and Carrasco help ERA and WHIP also, but because I am so far behind on innings, their K's and wins are worthless to me. That is why I have to trade them. I gain a lot more points in ERA and WHIP by going all RP than I lose in wins and Ks

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't lose ERA and WHIP. My worst RP is Ramos. Everyone else has WHIPs under 1. I agree RPs can be volatile, but from here on out, I expect to get about 300-350 innings with an ERA under 2.50 and a WHIP under 1.0.

I agree that Syndergaard and Carrasco help ERA and WHIP also, but because I am so far behind on innings, their K's and wins are worthless to me. That is why I have to trade them. I gain a lot more points in ERA and WHIP by going all RP than I lose in wins and Ks
Is this daily lineup changes?? how many pitchers do you start??

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, daily. I start 9ps, can be reliever or SP.

The other thing is that there are transaction costs for every add (25 cents). This is the first season I have not been in contention, so I usually ignore those costs, but I feel like this is the best way for me to maximize my pitching points while minimizing cost. Streaming would be risky and expensive since my team is out of contention.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, daily. I start 9ps, can be reliever or SP.

The other thing is that there are transaction costs for every add (25 cents). This is the first season I have not been in contention, so I usually ignore those costs, but I feel like this is the best way for me to maximize my pitching points while minimizing cost. Streaming would be risky and expensive since my team is out of contention.

do you still have SP on your roster to stream?? you don't have to punt Ks...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For:

You are right to be upset!

Aside from the fact vetoes are ridiculous.
Aside from the fact you are improving the cats you need.
Aside from the fact everyone voting either declined, neglected to counter or outright ignored you.

This deal is fair.

Betts is BY FAR the best player. You are not getting Betts with just one of those arms... especially with Thor's elbow risk. Abreu does not seem to be coming back. Davis is having a career year, but more importantly is a LOCK for more SB. Siegrist is kind of moot, but that's not the point. Oh could easily be a top five closer going forward.

Carrasco/Saunders for Oh/Davis... okay, he slightly wins IF Saunders keeps this up... possible, not probable, but he'll be good.
Abreu/Thor for Betts... any and everybody takes Betts here in a landslide! So the other half of the deal better benefit the other owner.

Whoever vetoes this is sour grapes and not respecting the league. imo

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you still have SP on your roster to stream?? you don't have to punt Ks...

I have Keuchel, but he hurts my ERA and WHIP to much. I have tried moving him literally since the draft and got no interest. Every week my price goes down.

If this trade goes through, I will give everyone 24 hours to make an offer before I drop him for an RP.

ERA and WHIP are so bunched together in the standings, I can gain 8-10 points in those cats alone, simply by going RP only. I am also 150 innings behind pace to reach the max, so it would take a ton of effort for me to not punt K's. I have lost 100 innings on pace since I stopped using SPs other than Carrasco and Syndergaard.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Keuchel, but he hurts my ERA and WHIP to much. I have tried moving him literally since the draft and got no interest. Every week my price goes down.

If this trade goes through, I will give everyone 24 hours to make an offer before I drop him for an RP.

ERA and WHIP are so bunched together in the standings, I can gain 8-10 points in those cats alone, simply by going RP only. I am also 150 innings behind pace to reach the max, so it would take a ton of effort for me to not punt K's. I have lost 100 innings on pace since I stopped using SPs other than Carrasco and Syndergaard.

Is keuchel the only bench pitcher you have?? I would stream him any game he faces a good matchup... But I guess if you are so rarely playing your starters, your not gonna catch up anyway... so maybe it is irrelevant... But if that is the case then either drop him or trade him... Try to get a mark Reynolds type player...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is keuchel the only bench pitcher you have?? I would stream him any game he faces a good matchup... But I guess if you are so rarely playing your starters, your not gonna catch up anyway... so maybe it is irrelevant... But if that is the case then either drop him or trade him... Try to get a mark Reynolds type player...

Not my only bench player, but he will be my only SP on the roster and my only P on the bench if this goes through.

Thing is, it isn't worth the risk of me starting him in good matchups. He has thrown some clunkers against bad offenses this year.

By the way, I already own Mark Reynolds. LOL. He is an every day starter for me now. I tools you my offense was bad!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my only bench player, but he will be my only SP on the roster and my only P on the bench if this goes through.

Thing is, it isn't worth the risk of me starting him in good matchups. He has thrown some clunkers against bad offenses this year.

By the way, I already own Mark Reynolds. LOL. He is an every day starter for me now. I tools you my offense was bad!

Reynolds has been fine... I just picked him up in a couple of my leagues... I was just throwing out a player who is doing well despite most owners not liking him...