• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injury Roster Crunch

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have just about all their injured players eligible to come off the DL either immediately or by later this week. This, of course, does not mean that they are ready, just that they CAN return if the Giant deem them ready. Panik will be eligible to return on Thursday. Everyone else is eligible today.

So what will actually happen? Especially with Span appearing like he will be taking a vacation starting shortly.

Parker has been playing well. He likely still needs a bit of work defensively, but he may just be what he is. Offensively, he is a TOP. Always has been.

Mac has been getting better, for sure. And the org appears to like him more between he and Parker. But Parker has been outplaying him. Does it matter though? With Span likely hitting the DL, both these guys will likely stick around.

Tejada is useless anything other than depth. He is likely the first casualty.

Green will likely be a casualty, but he may not be safe to a DFA. He has played well enough in AAA and played quite well in his short time in SF. Pena is probably in the same boat. He is, AT WORST a AAAA player, and I could imagine a team needing a bit of depth in the infield taking a flier on him if he is DFA'd.

But what happens in the bully? Romo SHOULD be ready any day now. Who loses their spot? Does Kuntos "stub his toe" and hit the DL?

Law, Osich and Bumgerner (??) are the only pitchers on the 25-man with options. Law has been doing fine and Osich is a lefty, so neither makes sense to send down. I still have a hard time letting go of Kontos because of his heroics last year, but he has been rough this year.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DFA Lopez

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have just about all their injured players eligible to come off the DL either immediately or by later this week. This, of course, does not mean that they are ready, just that they CAN return if the Giant deem them ready. Panik will be eligible to return on Thursday. Everyone else is eligible today.

So what will actually happen? Especially with Span appearing like he will be taking a vacation starting shortly.

Parker has been playing well. He likely still needs a bit of work defensively, but he may just be what he is. Offensively, he is a TOP. Always has been.

Mac has been getting better, for sure. And the org appears to like him more between he and Parker. But Parker has been outplaying him. Does it matter though? With Span likely hitting the DL, both these guys will likely stick around.

Tejada is useless anything other than depth. He is likely the first casualty.

Green will likely be a casualty, but he may not be safe to a DFA. He has played well enough in AAA and played quite well in his short time in SF. Pena is probably in the same boat. He is, AT WORST a AAAA player, and I could imagine a team needing a bit of depth in the infield taking a flier on him if he is DFA'd.

But what happens in the bully? Romo SHOULD be ready any day now. Who loses their spot? Does Kuntos "stub his toe" and hit the DL?

Law, Osich and Bumgerner (??) are the only pitchers on the 25-man with options. Law has been doing fine and Osich is a lefty, so neither makes sense to send down. I still have a hard time letting go of Kontos because of his heroics last year, but he has been rough this year.
And despite all this:

Mets jump to 7th; Giants new No. 1 in Rankings

Mets make jump, Giants No. 1 in Power Rankings

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez is definitely going to go to the phantom DL if we get a lefty.
The FO's MO is to put the veteran guys on the dl when they sputter out in their last year. But I don't think that happens yet.

As for roster moves, aren't most of those guys coming back after the All-Star break? I thought I read somewhere that Panik won't be ready before then. Tomlinson just started rehab, I would expect him to play it out until after the break too. Pence is looking more like end of July/early August. Duffy hasn't started any rehab either, so he may be a couple of weeks away. Adrianza, I read, may not start his rehab until the end of July. He's looking the furthest away. It seems the FO has 10 days to make some hard decisions, but July 15th does look interesting. A lot could happen in that time.

The team may be looking at dragging out a Denard Span decision for another week (ala Angel Pagan). The only position player that they have on the 40 man roster not already up is Andrew Susac. He cannot (unless tzill knows something the rest of us don't) fill an outfield spot. Span's placement on the dl would require another slot on the 40 man opened for someone like Gorkys Hernandez.

What about Ramiro Pena. Is he healthy yet? He could go down on the dl too. Assuming that both Span and Pena go on the dl next week, the Giants have room to activate both Panik and Tomlinson. Further assuming Duffy starts rehab next week, he could be coming off the dl a week after Panik and Tomlinson. Tejada will be ready to be dfa'd by then (unless his bat suddenly heats up). Once Pence is eligible, the Giants have a tough decision on whether Parker or Williamson goes down, but one will be optioned. I think Adrianza's rehab will be stretched to the max, and it may start with enough time for him to be ready for activation come September 1st. Tougher decisions will need to be made once Span and Pena are ready for activation in August (again, assuming they both get placed on the dl).

I think, on the pitching side, Matt Cain replaces Derek Law on the active roster. Sure, it stinks since Law has been decent, especially in this bullpen, but with two lefties struggling in the pen, and no relief in sight, barring a trade by then, both Osich and Lopez stay. Kontos has pitched better of late, so Law, with his option, goes to Sacramento. But then who goes to make room for a long reliever? Or does the team try to play with Kontos as the long reliever for a bit?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO's MO is to put the veteran guys on the dl when they sputter out in their last year. But I don't think that happens yet.

As for roster moves, aren't most of those guys coming back after the All-Star break? I thought I read somewhere that Panik won't be ready before then. Tomlinson just started rehab, I would expect him to play it out until after the break too. Pence is looking more like end of July/early August. Duffy hasn't started any rehab either, so he may be a couple of weeks away. Adrianza, I read, may not start his rehab until the end of July. He's looking the furthest away. It seems the FO has 10 days to make some hard decisions, but July 15th does look interesting. A lot could happen in that time.

The team may be looking at dragging out a Denard Span decision for another week (ala Angel Pagan). The only position player that they have on the 40 man roster not already up is Andrew Susac. He cannot (unless tzill knows something the rest of us don't) fill an outfield spot. Span's placement on the dl would require another slot on the 40 man opened for someone like Gorkys Hernandez.

What about Ramiro Pena. Is he healthy yet? He could go down on the dl too. Assuming that both Span and Pena go on the dl next week, the Giants have room to activate both Panik and Tomlinson. Further assuming Duffy starts rehab next week, he could be coming off the dl a week after Panik and Tomlinson. Tejada will be ready to be dfa'd by then (unless his bat suddenly heats up). Once Pence is eligible, the Giants have a tough decision on whether Parker or Williamson goes down, but one will be optioned. I think Adrianza's rehab will be stretched to the max, and it may start with enough time for him to be ready for activation come September 1st. Tougher decisions will need to be made once Span and Pena are ready for activation in August (again, assuming they both get placed on the dl).

I think, on the pitching side, Matt Cain replaces Derek Law on the active roster. Sure, it stinks since Law has been decent, especially in this bullpen, but with two lefties struggling in the pen, and no relief in sight, barring a trade by then, both Osich and Lopez stay. Kontos has pitched better of late, so Law, with his option, goes to Sacramento. But then who goes to make room for a long reliever? Or does the team try to play with Kontos as the long reliever for a bit?

Kinda blows that Law and Suarez, arguably our two best pitchers out of the Pen right now, are thw guys to go down.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda blows that Law and Suarez, arguably our two best pitchers out of the Pen right now, are thw guys to go down.
Gearrin's now on my "let him go" list. The guy has been awful the past few weeks.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gearrin's now on my "let him go" list. The guy has been awful the past few weeks.
Not true.

He's been awful his last two appearances. the two before that were clean. He was awful 6/28 vs. the A'ss but really good before that.

He's had three bad appearances out of the last five, but generally pretty good. As poopy as I can get during a game, he doesn't fill my diapers.

Looking over the bullpen, it really hasn't been as bad as I thought it was. Bedshits over their last ten appearances:

Casilla -- One. He's converted his last 8 saves
Gearrin -- Three. ERA shot up a full point yesterday.
Kontos -- Three. ERA remains in the low 3's.
Law -- Two. ERA below 3.
JLo -- Four. He is clearly the weak link now. ERA over 5
Osich -- Four. Co-leader for #weaklink. ERA over 4.
Romo -- Zero. Just back from DL.
Strickland -- Two. Not as bad as I'd remembered. ERA low 3's.

Bottom line: I think there is some SSS stuff going on with the recent bullpen meltdowns. We definitely need a lefty who can not blow up every other game, but overall it's not as bad as I thought.

Evans knows we need a LRP, we know it. I gotta think something will get done.

Just not for three weeks. Until then, let's hold this divisional lead and hope the last month is just a bullpen abberation.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true.

He's been awful his last two appearances. the two before that were clean. He was awful 6/28 vs. the A'ss but really good before that.

He's had three bad appearances out of the last five, but generally pretty good. As poopy as I can get during a game, he doesn't fill my diapers.

Looking over the bullpen, it really hasn't been as bad as I thought it was. Bedshits over their last ten appearances:

Casilla -- One. He's converted his last 8 saves
Gearrin -- Three. ERA shot up a full point yesterday.
Kontos -- Three. ERA remains in the low 3's.
Law -- Two. ERA below 3.
JLo -- Four. He is clearly the weak link now. ERA over 5
Osich -- Four. Co-leader for #weaklink. ERA over 4.
Romo -- Zero. Just back from DL.
Strickland -- Two. Not as bad as I'd remembered. ERA low 3's.

Bottom line: I think there is some SSS stuff going on with the recent bullpen meltdowns. We definitely need a lefty who can not blow up every other game, but overall it's not as bad as I thought.

Evans knows we need a LRP, we know it. I gotta think something will get done.

Just not for three weeks. Until then, let's hold this divisional lead and hope the last month is just a bullpen abberation.
Thanks for the information. I would argue that 3 out of 5 appearances makes for a crappy couple of weeks but my post was a bit emotional from his meltdown last night.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A breakdown on the guys on the dl:

Matt Cain - already made two rehab starts (AZL & Sac). Could be back within the next week.
Cory Gearrin - unknown
Chris Heston - out at least another month, maybe rest of the season
Ehire Adrianza - started rehab in San Jose
Matt Duffy - unknown, maybe rehab starts next week?
Joe Panik - could start rehab this weekend
Hunter Pence - could start rehab this weekend

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A breakdown on the guys on the dl:

Matt Cain - already made two rehab starts (AZL & Sac). Could be back within the next week.
Cory Gearrin - unknown
Chris Heston - out at least another month, maybe rest of the season
Ehire Adrianza - started rehab in San Jose
Matt Duffy - unknown, maybe rehab starts next week?
Joe Panik - could start rehab this weekend
Hunter Pence - could start rehab this weekend
Per Bobby Evans, Panik back for the Yankee series next weekend.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a banner phuking day all around. Sharkscrote sucking, Herk reinjured, doyers winning...