• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In the Grasp

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First and foremost we lost I am cool with it. Last night I watched a panel discuss should the Mahommes in the grasp ruling which voided a potential fumble or interception be a reviewable play? Most agreed it should but I do agree that it should. I feel the in the grasp rule should be wiped off the books, it's not a tackle. There already enough rules about how to tackle and rules the specifically talk about how a QB can be tackled, but in the grasp is not a tackle. Now had Mahommes escaped the grasp and darted for 25 yards only to be called in the grasp KC fans (rightfully) might be arguing he was still moving forward or that his ability to escape was taken from him.

IMO it's to gray an area, a tackle includes contact with the ground, a knee, elbow, butt etc.

Do you all feel this is a good rule or one that should be scrapped?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't comment. I declared I would not discuss the game after learning that the Patriots had to get up at 3:30 am, fly to KC and not get any rest. Goodell still can't get rid of the hard on he has for the Patriots stealing Belichick from his Jets.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t review and change things that happen AFTER a whistle.

I have no problem with getting rid of the in the grasp rule.

But this can’t be called a reviewable play because a referee blows his whistle and stops the play. Anything that happens afterwords is irrelevant because it has been altered by the sound of the whistle.

Additionally we need a Raider fan to jump on here and point out that Pat fans arent allowed to complain about stupid QB rules on turnovers inside the pocket until January 20th, 2102. So this thread is clearly in violation of that probation period.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But this can’t be called a reviewable play because a referee blows his whistle and stops the play. Anything that happens afterwords is irrelevant because it has been altered by the sound of the whistle.

Additionally we need a Raider fan to jump on here and point out that Pat fans arent allowed to complain about stupid QB rules on turnovers inside the pocket until January 20th, 2102. So this thread is clearly in violation of that probation period.

My only problem with this is that the whistle blew AFTER the Patriots had the ball. If you are going to blow him down (yes I know) then immediately do it. You let the play go and then you can say he waa down/in the grasp whatever. The league has told officials to keep whistle in there mouths and sort it out later.

I knew someone would mention the Tuck Rule.. lol

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't comment. I declared I would not discuss the game after learning that the Patriots had to get up at 3:30 am, fly to KC and not get any rest. Goodell still can't get rid of the hard on he has for the Patriots stealing Belichick from his Jets.
Yet here you are anyway. You could have stopped at I can't comment but you had to get your little whine in

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL Not complaining it's just difficult for refs to call. When a QB like Big Ben is the grasp they tend not to blow that whistle as fast as the do for a smaller QB. Ben had gotten nailed a few times because they did not call in the grasp.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only problem with this is that the whistle blew AFTER the Patriots had the ball. If you are going to blow him down (yes I know) then immediately do it. You let the play go and then you can say he waa down/in the grasp whatever. The league has told officials to keep whistle in there mouths and sort it out later.

I knew someone would mention the Tuck Rule.. lol
I read somewhere that the whistle we heard post int was a second whistle there was another.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that the whistle we heard post int was a second whistle there was another.
Question: Why was in the grasp called (on a 3rd-and-4 play with 6:22 remaining in the second quarter)? It looked like the quarterback was on his way to the ground as the ball was coming out.

Corrente: I felt that he was being controlled quite a bit prior to him actually going to the ground. And as he was being controlled, other players were coming in at him. And so with those other players bearing down on him, a quarterback is considered in the grasp and his forward progress is considered stopped when I feel as though the player’s safety is being jeopardized. And that was the case in this instance. So, rather than allow him to get hit by a second and third player, we shut it down and considered it forward progress at that point.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Why was in the grasp called (on a 3rd-and-4 play with 6:22 remaining in the second quarter)? It looked like the quarterback was on his way to the ground as the ball was coming out.

Corrente: I felt that he was being controlled quite a bit prior to him actually going to the ground. And as he was being controlled, other players were coming in at him. And so with those other players bearing down on him, a quarterback is considered in the grasp and his forward progress is considered stopped when I feel as though the player’s safety is being jeopardized. And that was the case in this instance. So, rather than allow him to get hit by a second and third player, we shut it down and considered it forward progress at that point.
Why was it called? Because the refs felt he was in the grasp!!!! What the hell difference does the down and time make>?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the issue when you try to continually take a sport that is violent and make it safer and safe...you create more and more gray areas. I've seen legal hits flagged with no fines. I've seen illegal hits not flagged, and then the player is fined. The NFL and Refs have little actual clue of what they are calling on some of these plays. They "look" bad, so out comes the flag.

Defensive players are at a major disadvantage all over the field - they don't know what they can do to tackle or hit without risk of a flag, and the rules protect too many offensive players (QB in the grasp, defenseless WR) and not enough of the defensive players (Rarely is the offensive guy flagged for lowering his head, and how about cut-blocks on DL?).

I'm for getting rid of the rule completely, but then fans will need to accept this could lead to an injury or major hit. To me, that's just a part of the game.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmm... interesting

Oh well. All for not now

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ref was premature in calling that one but we know they are overly cautious with QB's. I suppose if it had gone any longer, patrick would have become a tackling dummy and that would not be good

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eli Manning says I approve this message.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a case of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" with the rule. The biggest problems are the inconsistencies from the crews as it is with all these subjective rules.
As pointed out earlier, guys like Big Ben often get different treatment because of how they play. We've seen it with Cam and Wilson as well. And of course, they will be over protective of the poster boy for the league. That's not a knock on Mahomes either but the fallout if he got a serious injury because they didn't call it would be enormous.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a case of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" with the rule. The biggest problems are the inconsistencies from the crews as it is with all these subjective rules.
As pointed out earlier, guys like Big Ben often get different treatment because of how they play. We've seen it with Cam and Wilson as well. And of course, they will be over protective of the poster boy for the league. That's not a knock on Mahomes either but the fallout if he got a serious injury because they didn't call it would be enormous.
I agree, but with the way the league has defined a hit IMO lessens the chance of catastrophic injury. I know full well they won't get rid of the rule, I'll go so far as to say they can't at this point.

NFL Rules are to vague and leave to much for interpretation, it's been problematic for long time and continues to be problematic still.