• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Improvements are Passing the Phillies By

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies could have helped their starting pitching by competing for pitcher Edison Volquez, 31, 13-7 with a 3.04 ERA who just signed a two year, $20M deal with the Royals. They could have added someone like Jed Lowrie, 30, SS, .249/.321/.355, 29 doubles, six home runs to fill the JRol void. And what about OF Justin Upton, 27, .270/.342/.491, 29 HR, 102 RBI, just acquired by the Padres for $14M. I'm not saying these players would be the best acquisitions for the Phils, but they'd be better than what's happened so far which is zero, especially if Hamels stays with the team. But maybe there's just no cash left in the till and/or the FO remains lost in space.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies have around 25 million to spend. Maybe more with the raised cap in 2015. It may best serve them to play the young guys and see if they can play around 500 ball until the all star break.
Then if they need a big piece they would have the bucks at that time.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huh? why would they chase upton, who will be a FA after this year and demand a monster contract. you'd give up a package of maybe something like.. rupp, nola, hernandez and de fratus just so he can play here for a year, on our 4th/5th place team?

for once, the phils are doing what they need to. no real contracts, unload whatever older players they can and get some young ones in. the deal they received for jroll was great. two young pitchers who played well in a hitters league. they finally unloaded bastardo. they're certainly trying to dump byrd and howard. they're trying to get a big package for hamels. hopefully, lee is lee again. and if so, he'll be the best trade chip at the deadline.

unless the current group of young players performs extremely well as a whole, they won't be ready to compete until 2017 or so. it's best to have almost no payroll at that time so they can explode in free agency in 17' and 18' to mix in middle players and vets with their young core.

the phils should be looking in the leftover, bargain bin to do their shopping. guys like santana, burnett, cruz from last year. players willing to sign a big deal for just a year or two with various options.. so the phils can just flip them at the deadline for any young value.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF we keep Hamels, I'd like to win now. We can if we add more starting pitching and some slugging to go along with an excellent relief staff. IF we trade Hamels, then, of course, we're dead until young players develop and we can sign key FAs. The players I cited were some examples of how the FO could improve today's team. But I have no idea where they're headed. Also We should have received a higher-rated prospect for JRol than Dodgers #7 Tom Windle and Zach Eflin. JROL can play now for the Dodgers. They got him cheap. !7 HRS, switch hitter, excellent SS. Why couldn't we get a #3 prospect? Amaro can't deal.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore and the Phillies are reportedly talking about Howard. Maybe we can finally dump this dead weight. Don't expect much in return. We all know Amaro is braindead and he is proving this on a daily basis. If the ownership can't see this, I have know idea what they are doing either.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF we keep Hamels, I'd like to win now. We can if we add more starting pitching and some slugging to go along with an excellent relief staff. IF we trade Hamels, then, of course, we're dead until young players develop and we can sign key FAs. The players I cited were some examples of how the FO could improve today's team. But I have no idea where they're headed. Also We should have received a higher-rated prospect for JRol than Dodgers #7 Tom Windle and Zach Eflin. JROL can play now for the Dodgers. They got him cheap. !7 HRS, switch hitter, excellent SS. Why couldn't we get a #3 prospect? Amaro can't deal.

Holy shit, are you hitting the pipe again? You want to go for it THIS YEAR???

I'm with Phillies on this one. They did well to get two decent prospects for Rollins. He's 35 and going into the last year of his contract.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, are you hitting the pipe again? You want to go for it THIS YEAR???

I'm with Phillies on this one. They did well to get two decent prospects for Rollins. He's 35 and going into the last year of his contract.

We'll all be smoking the pipe for years when they trade Hamels.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I like the Rollins move ultimately and I hope the Orioles get a real bad stiffy for Howard.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of this talk of Hamels to the Padres for W Myers?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I THINK THE PHILIES COULD DO BETTER THAN MYERS!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Northeast. If they do that deal, Amaro is basically giving Hamels away for free especially in light of all the people the Padres have signed recently. Myers is the best they can do? Gimme a break.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OF Myers, 24, is valuable and the Padres gave up two top prospects (so they say), Joe Ross and Trea Turner, for him so trading Myers doesn't seem likely. Hamels, 30, has four years and $96 million remaining on his contract and I hear SD already spent $100M. I agree, they can do better than this, like 2 or 3 quality, proven players, a SS, an OF, and a starting pitcher. The price must be high.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro built the Phillies into a corner. There is little they can do until they jettison the myriad of players they are currently over paying.