• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Impressive offense

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NL top 18 BA 5 Rockies regular position players take 5 spots. Rosario, Tulo, Cuddyer, Cargo and Fowler have averages of .311 or greater. That's pretty impressive, but the hitting needs to be somewhat more productive. Such as 2 nights ago when it went 0-9 with RISP and 12 LOB. That has happened a few times this year and it's part of the game, but could be improved on.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, timely hitting...part of the strength of the SF Giants.

In addition to the group of five mentioned by 4thefences Jordan Pacheco is at .313 (not enough PA to qualify) nor the Rockies leader in BA, OBP, Slugging % & OPS...none other than Tyler Chatwood.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knew that Chatwood would be so valuable as a hitter?

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4thefences...do you have any other suggestions to improve the Rockies...they listened to the first one you had.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In watching the Rockies smack the ball last night I seemed to see something I haven't seen before. I'm sure it was there but because they're getting decent pitching now I think some of the glitz they have with the bat isn't being buried in 8-4 or 9-6 losses as it was in the past. Tulo's first two trips to the plate last night were classic "how to" ABs fitting for any teaching video. ( CarGo who was on 1st almost caught up to EY Jr on the double...CarGo didn't hesitate for a second, EY Jr did...maybe CarGo had a better bead on the ball )
Before the season started I thought the Rockies were capable of a .500 season with everyone ( other than pitchers ) apparently healthy. I know it's only the first week of May but assuming everyone remains relatively healthy ( Tulo, in particular ) and the pitching remains decent I think there's a shot for something better than .500 and a fun summer for all.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the 1st one I had? There seemed to be so many. Right now I would suggest not to put Lopez on the mound with the game on the line. He still has not proven he can shut down the opposition. He has cost the Rockes at least 3 games due to this. Arenado is starting to show his power and looking more relaxed and confident. I wouldn't rush on moving him up in the order. I think the 7th spot is just fine for now. Man this lineup is looking solid.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you might be a little harsh on Lopez. In the last 10 appearances in he has only given up runs once (it was a loss credited it to him) but that was one inning where he has pitched a total of 10.1 other innings in the last ten appearances without giving up a run.

Comparisions for last ten appearances with all other active relievers:

Matt Belisle has given up runs 3 times in his last 10 appearances (5 runs total compared to Lopez's 2) one of these times resulting in a loss credited to Belisle.

Rex Brothers hasn't given up anything in his last ten apperances (given up just one run this year good job Brothers)

Rafael Betancourt has given up runs twice in his last 10 apperances (2 total same as Lopez)

Edgmer Escolona has given up runs twice in his last 10 appearances (4 total once resulting in a loss)

Adam Ottavino has exactly 10 apperances on the year he has given up runs 4 times in that time (6 total runs 3 earned once resulting in a loss)

Josh Outman has 5 total appearances and gave up runs in one of those appearances (4 total)

Going into our other two people who have appeared:

Rob Scahill appeared once without giving up a run

Chris Volstad appeared 4 times and gave up runs every time he appeared (6 total)

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arenado is batting 2nd today. That might not be too much pressure.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez has given up 24 hits in 14.2 IP and has a WHIP of 1.77. He has put way to many runners on base to be a set up man at this point. I'm sure he will improve, but right now he reminds me of Esmil Rogers or Manny Corpas.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arenado is batting 2nd today. That might not be too much pressure.

I was fine with him hitting in the 7th spot but part of Weiss' M.O. seems to be to move batters around. In thinking back to mid year last year (June or July) when they brought Rutledge up it strikes me that Arenado's ML start is similar to his...good bat with some flashes of power. I suppose the pitchers will catch up to him as they did with Rutledge but I think he's shown he can play. I'd appreciate any one's comments on how he's handled himself in the field so far...has there been enough time yet to speculate on whether he'll be able to handle the hot corner at the ML level.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he will ever be called a great defensive 3rd baseman but I think he will be one that will be able to hold down the position with the occasion flash of brilliance with the glove. He had a potential web gem on espn the other night. So much better than Nelson but not a Vinny Castilla (who got robbed of a gold glove)who just doesn't make mistakes.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castilla was around playing 3rd when guys like Caminiti and Rolen were winning them all. 4thefences if you read this Post would you say Caminiti was that good a 3rd baseman. My memory doesn't lend itself to remembering him from a fielding perspective so I can't recall but he did make a lot of errors. Was he a good defender?

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with Fences regarding Lopez. I generally leave the room when he comes into the ballgame. Despite the score today, the Rockies are looking like a solid ballclub.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of leaving the room when someone is pitching I see where Homer Guthrie is pitching lights out in KC this year. He's 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA and, yes, a Shutout...that's an entire game without giving up a home run.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caminiti did win 3 GG in '95-'97 but his fielding % was .936, .954. .946 which are not really that great of numbers. We all know the award is not based on who had the best numbers otherwise Helton would have many more trophies on his mantle.
His 15 years gave him a .946 fielding % compared to .965 for Vinny who also had better numbers the years Caminiti won.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew picking up Guthrie in the fantasy league was a bold move that has paid off, except he sat him this week, yikes.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be interesting to see what happens when Oswalt is ready. The Rockies didn't pick him up to pitch in the minors so the guys in the rotation better be bringing their A game. Chatwood looks to be ready for a rotation spot too. So glad the pitching has improved over last year. Still need to build on it though.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to see how Oswalt does in his extended spring training and minor league starts before we start talking about rotation shakeups. Chacin seems pretty well locked into his rotation spot if he can keep himself healthy--was so sharp last night but you don't normally expect a lot first day back from the DL. Nicasio has been decent but those pitch counts are way way too high (a starter you can't count on to get you through 6 innings at all isn't much of a starter no matter how much the limit the damage) and I could see him being moved to long relief in favor of a callup since he deserves his spot on the team just perhaps not as a starter. Francis has been shaky so he may be the most in danger of any cuts/trades in favor of someone else since I am not sure if he would convert to relief well (or take it well for that matter). Chattwood had one good day and one bad day so it is a little too soon to say rather he is any better than Francis or Nicasio in the rotation.