• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If You Were The Manager ......

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This applies to both teams tomorrow ...

You've entered into a game 5 of the NLDS ... the winner moves on to play Altanta and the loser goes home. You both have very good starters taking the mound. We know what Webb is capable of and we also know what Urias is capable of. Both teams have strong bullpens behind the starters.

What kind of a leash do you hold on these particular starters?

For me ... they have to be somewhat on the short side. There is no tomorrow and you can't let the game slip out of reach ..... but you also can't manage by simple knee jerk reactions either. I also think your decision will also be heavily influenced by the score at that particular time'. I'm pretty sure that both Webb and Urias will have a longer leash as long as they have a lead. The bigger the lead the longer the leash.

A game that follows the path of the Scherzer game will be BRUTAL to manage (also brutal for us fans to follow). Any mistake could be the difference. This could also be one of the most memorable games we will encounter in quite some time. So much on the line and so little room for error .....

Then again .... maybe both starters have a melt down and we have a bullpen game and we're tied 5-5 in the 3rd inning!!!!!! I doubt that will happen .... but playoff baseball is jusat crazy ....

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a horse in this race, but leaning SF because a bunch of my friends here are hard core Giants faithful.
I'm just hoping for an evenly umpired game as far as balls & strikes calling goes.
They absolutely must be consistent on their calls with both teams in an elimination game.
Another thing to keep in mind is the weather, which is forecasted to be in the low 60's by 1st pitch time...as well as clear skies with a slight to moderate breeze. Perfect mid October bay area evening baseball weather.
Oracle is gonna be rockin'.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3 times Webb and Urias faced off this year.

CC2AFF76-36B8-49BB-8BBC-60D339A052F1.png

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds for tonites game

29D52034-EF32-42A0-B751-15147DA0036B.jpeg

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This applies to both teams tomorrow ...

You've entered into a game 5 of the NLDS ... the winner moves on to play Altanta and the loser goes home. You both have very good starters taking the mound. We know what Webb is capable of and we also know what Urias is capable of. Both teams have strong bullpens behind the starters.

What kind of a leash do you hold on these particular starters?

For me ... they have to be somewhat on the short side. There is no tomorrow and you can't let the game slip out of reach ..... but you also can't manage by simple knee jerk reactions either. I also think your decision will also be heavily influenced by the score at that particular time'. I'm pretty sure that both Webb and Urias will have a longer leash as long as they have a lead. The bigger the lead the longer the leash.

A game that follows the path of the Scherzer game will be BRUTAL to manage (also brutal for us fans to follow). Any mistake could be the difference. This could also be one of the most memorable games we will encounter in quite some time. So much on the line and so little room for error .....

Then again .... maybe both starters have a melt down and we have a bullpen game and we're tied 5-5 in the 3rd inning!!!!!! I doubt that will happen .... but playoff baseball is jusat crazy ....
Its an elimination game, so, if I were the manager, I'd probably screw it up. Hopefully, Kapler has what it takes to win big games like this.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its an elimination game, so, if I were the manager, I'd probably screw it up. Hopefully, Kapler has what it takes to win big games like this.
Trust the Jew. Always.

:kev:

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts already playing chess. Starting Knebel over Urias. Probably to get Kap to bite and start a lefty lineup and bring in Urias after that. Hopefully Kap has a plan in motion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rules are there regarding announcing starting pitchers and/or lineups?

Could the doggies pull a fast one and actually start Urias even though they have announced Knebel?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rules are there regarding announcing starting pitchers and/or lineups?

Could the doggies pull a fast one and actually start Urias even though they have announced Knebel?
I believe the road team has to submit their lineup first and then it's locked in. Nonetheless, Roberts apparently called Kap yesterday and told him Knebel was opening.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the road team has to submit their lineup first and then it's locked in. Nonetheless, Roberts apparently called Kap yesterday and told him Knebel was opening.
I think Robert’s is opening himself up to getting the boot after this offseason. His comments today about this have been borderline insubordinate. He has basically said, “This is a stupid idea, but I have been forced to do it by my bosses”.

”The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced they have parted ways with manager Dave Roberts due to ‘philosophical differences’.”

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Robert’s is opening himself up to getting the boot after this offseason. His comments today about this have been borderline insubordinate. He has basically said, “This is a stupid idea, but I have been forced to do it by my bosses”.

”The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced they have parted ways with manager Dave Roberts due to ‘philosophical differences’.”
The Cardinals' decision seems incredibly stupid. "Thanks for taking the team to the playoffs 3 years in a row. You're done here. Back your bags."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals' decision seems incredibly stupid. "Thanks for taking the team to the playoffs 3 years in a row. You're done here. Back your bags."
There is a story there. A story we will likely never hear, but a story nonetheless.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there is a story. How could there not be? The question is, for me, did the organization make the right decision?
If they had to fire a successful manager like him, the “differences” had to be pretty severe. Probably a personality clash??

whatever it was, he couldn’t stay. So yes. They made the right call. He may very well go on to be a HOF manager elsewhere. But it was still the right call to fire him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they had to fire a successful manager like him, the “differences” had to be pretty severe. Probably a personality clash??

whatever it was, he couldn’t stay. So yes. They made the right call. He may very well go on to be a HOF manager elsewhere. But it was still the right call to fire him.
That really depends, in my opinion, whose personality he clashed with. Is this an ego firing or a loss of clubhouse firing?