• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you had to pick between B. Schenn and Read, who you taking?

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Born in Port Richmond, currently living in South J
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that Braydon Schenn and Matt Read are next in line for extensions on this team, I have a question: If you had to choose between Read or B. Schenn to extend, who do you extend and keep around long-term?

I Personally extend Schenn and move Read, because I don't believe Read (at 27 and one year away from UFA) accepts a deal of anything less than the $3.5-$4 million range, and given that he's peaked, I don't believe him to be as valuable as Schenn. Also, Read seems to be coveted (based on things I've read, won't pretend I have inside information) by teams looking for 2nd line wingers. I've always liked Matt Read, and though I feel like he belongs in the Top-6 on some teams in this league, he doesn't belong on the top-6 with the Flyers and therefore doesn't merit Top-6 money here. I also believe Schenn has a MUCH higher ceiling and am looking forward to seeing he, Simmonds, Voracek, G, and Couts grow and mature together. I love the young core of this team!

Thoughts?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that Braydon Schenn and Matt Read are next in line for extensions on this team, I have a question: If you had to choose between Read or B. Schenn to extend, who do you extend and keep around long-term?

I Personally extend Schenn and move Read, because I don't believe Read (at 27 and one year away from UFA) accepts a deal of anything less than the $3.5-$4 million range, and given that he's peaked, I don't believe him to be as valuable as Schenn. Also, Read seems to be coveted (based on things I've read, won't pretend I have inside information) by teams looking for 2nd line wingers. I've always liked Matt Read, and though I feel like he belongs in the Top-6 on some teams in this league, he doesn't belong on the top-6 with the Flyers and therefore doesn't merit Top-6 money here. I also believe Schenn has a MUCH higher ceiling and am looking forward to seeing he, Simmonds, Voracek, G, and Couts grow and mature together. I love the young core of this team!

Thoughts?

As of right now i think it's a toss up with Read being such a bargain and schenn with all this star potential. After the season it depends on what schenn and Read do offensively. If Read has a medicore year i dont know if we give him the money your suggesting he will ask for. Although Read may be our only sniper , we do have guys that can score but no real snipers. I personally like Schenn's game of which he never gets credit for. He's a player that back checks hard, has many crushing hits and will drop the gloves if he needs too along with his offensive ability. I always like an all around player more that just an offensive player (Read) or just a defensive player (Cooter so far)

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As of right now i think it's a toss up with Read being such a bargain and schenn with all this star potential. After the season it depends on what schenn and Read do offensively. If Read has a medicore year i dont know if we give him the money your suggesting he will ask for. Although Read may be our only sniper , we do have guys that can score but no real snipers. I personally like Schenn's game of which he never gets credit for. He's a player that back checks hard, has many crushing hits and will drop the gloves if he needs too along with his offensive ability. I always like an all around player more that just an offensive player (Read) or just a defensive player (Cooter so far)

i think you let them both play this year and see where you stand at the trade deadline and move read. as said Read probably has peaked and I really like the guy but Schenn is protected under RFA and Read could bring something you really need at the trade deadline.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would keep Schenn, mainly because of age.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?
:agree:

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would easily extend Schenn. I seem to be higher on Schenn than other Flyers fans. I argue with my brother a lot about Schenn/Couturier....... It seems most would rather have Couturier on this team. I would take Schenn over Couts too.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn, without a second thought

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I think Read is more polished, I would keep Schenn as his ceiling is much higher and he isn't that far behind Read currently. This coming season or next year I think Schenn takes a leap and will be the clear better player. Read in my opinion is at his peak, and while he is a good piece to have, he is not a cornerstone piece. I think Schenn could become a cornerstone piece.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would easily extend Schenn. I seem to be higher on Schenn than other Flyers fans. I argue with my brother a lot about Schenn/Couturier....... It seems most would rather have Couturier on this team. I would take Schenn over Couts too.

:agree::agree:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think i'd still take schenn over read if you had to pick.. but schenn really needs to have a good year this year in my mind.. i had really high expectations for him when the flyers got him, and he has not lived up to those, not even close really. so i really hope he picks it up this year

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I respond to some of the feedback, I read an article about Schenn this morning that I'm on the fence about. Check it. Does Brayden Schenn Have a Future with the Flyers? Anyway, my response to some of your responses:

Cool, good feedback guys. I agree with everyone mostly. As for the Couts vs. Schenn argument, you can look at that in two ways:

1. If you're looking for a two-way player to be a cornerstone for the team, I think you have to look at Sean Couturier. I see him as a Patrick Elias-type player in the next 5 years. I think he'll be able to score 15-20 goals per year and be in the 55-60 point range on average for his career (Elias has averaged 52 points per season for his career, but if you take into account injuries and shortened seasons, he's more in the 62 point range per season) while also being a Selke candidate year-in and year-out. If you're looking for a guy that has true leadership abilities to go along with good offensive ability and elite defensive ability, you go with Couturier.

2. If you're looking for a guy who will be a sniper, show a bit of a nasty streak, one of the top offensive guys on your team, and use his size to his advantage, you're going with Schenn. There's a reason Brayden was considered the top-prospect not still in hockey a few years back, and it's because with his combination of plus speed, size, and scoring ability (as well as an improving ability to make plays with his passing) make him a prospect with grit, heart, AND a scoring touch. A true blood, sweat, and tears quality locker room guy.

The way I see it, we're in a very advantageous position having guys like Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Giroux, and Voracek to build around. I think Luke Schenn will also be a very good piece moving forward, even if he never is a true top-2 pairing defender. We've got a lot of character and grit on this team, and though I'd hate to lose Matt Read, I agree that he has probably peaked and never had the upside of a Brayden Schenn.

Schenn needs to be the next player in orange and black to sign an extension. I just hope that article I posted above is just a pessimistic view of his time with the team.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's a coincidence that Giroux and Couturier have signed extensions, while Schenn and Read haven't. I think the Flyers will use the upcoming season to determine which of the two stays, and who goes.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think it's a coincidence that Giroux and Couturier have signed extensions, while Schenn and Read haven't. I think the Flyers will use the upcoming season to determine which of the two stays, and who goes.

as they should, schenn has not shown enough to warrant an extension with a pay raise so there is no reason to. Read is the best money to production player on the team so there is no reason for the flyers or Read to sign a contract until he is a UFA.

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as they should, schenn has not shown enough to warrant an extension with a pay raise so there is no reason to. Read is the best money to production player on the team so there is no reason for the flyers or Read to sign a contract until he is a UFA.

I do like this way of looking at it. I'll look at his Corsi-rel (and other relative stat) numbers as soon as I can to see if I can pinpoint whether Read's production is a product of his own individual talent or team play. I personally believe (without stats to back me up or any real research done either) that Schenn's individual talent is greater than Read's, and he therefore has greater upside. Once Read is being paid $3.5-$4 million (which I believe he will be someday) he obviously won't be even close to the value he is now at that $900k salary, so it'll be a little easier to make the comparison between the two players at that point.

Matt Read, though I love the guy, is just a scary player to project. I look at what Ville Leino did here at a pittance and then what he did in Buffalo making $4 million and I see how a guy who excels in this system (but who was never truly considered a premier prospect) can burn a team when he makes big money, and I fear that sort of thing could happen with Read as well. That's one of the reasons Schenn is the safer bet in my opinion.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I respond to some of the feedback, I read an article about Schenn this morning that I'm on the fence about. Check it. Does Brayden Schenn Have a Future with the Flyers? Anyway, my response to some of your responses:

Cool, good feedback guys. I agree with everyone mostly. As for the Couts vs. Schenn argument, you can look at that in two ways:

1. If you're looking for a two-way player to be a cornerstone for the team, I think you have to look at Sean Couturier. I see him as a Patrick Elias-type player in the next 5 years. I think he'll be able to score 15-20 goals per year and be in the 55-60 point range on average for his career (Elias has averaged 52 points per season for his career, but if you take into account injuries and shortened seasons, he's more in the 62 point range per season) while also being a Selke candidate year-in and year-out. If you're looking for a guy that has true leadership abilities to go along with good offensive ability and elite defensive ability, you go with Couturier.

2. If you're looking for a guy who will be a sniper, show a bit of a nasty streak, one of the top offensive guys on your team, and use his size to his advantage, you're going with Schenn. There's a reason Brayden was considered the top-prospect not still in hockey a few years back, and it's because with his combination of plus speed, size, and scoring ability (as well as an improving ability to make plays with his passing) make him a prospect with grit, heart, AND a scoring touch. A true blood, sweat, and tears quality locker room guy.

The way I see it, we're in a very advantageous position having guys like Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Giroux, and Voracek to build around. I think Luke Schenn will also be a very good piece moving forward, even if he never is a true top-2 pairing defender. We've got a lot of character and grit on this team, and though I'd hate to lose Matt Read, I agree that he has probably peaked and never had the upside of a Brayden Schenn.

Schenn needs to be the next player in orange and black to sign an extension. I just hope that article I posted above is just a pessimistic view of his time with the team.

Me i go with number 2 in these scenarios and on the number one scenario it is only potential until cooter get his offense going hopefully it happens soon.