• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Tom Brady played in the 70s? If Roger Staubach played today?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Staubach was a helluva a QB , no doubt

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very hard to say what would happen if you took a QB from that era and put them in with the monstrous defensive freaks we see today.

I read that today's edge rushers are as fast & quick as the 70's running backs.

That's all relative to the athletes they are playing with.

Staubach was 6 foot 3 and read where he ran a 4.6 in the 40.

Again, he played 8 seasons essentially, and led half of the teams to a SB (four.)

His prime years were in the Navy....

Anyway, he would have thrived in an RPO offense or west coast offense.

I do wonder how Brady would have done with WRs being molested all the way down the field.

I tend to think Brady would have a tougher time playing in those conditions than the other way around.

Poor conflicted Pats fans. Don't you hope Brady runs it up on Belishit and Josh McDick?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all relative to the athletes they are playing with.

Staubach was 6 foot 3 and read where he ran a 4.6 in the 40.

Again, he played 8 seasons essentially, and led half of the teams to a SB (four.)

His prime years were in the Navy....

Anyway, he would have thrived in an RPO offense or west coast offense.

I do wonder how Brady would have done with WRs being molested all the way down the field.

I tend to think Brady would have a tougher time playing in those conditions than the other way around.

Poor conflicted Pats fans. Don't you hope Brady runs it up on Belishit and Josh McDick?

Just like any QB who has won any SBs he did it on a SB caliber team...

If you threw Staubach on the current Jets, they would not magically become a championship team...

so the ultimate answer is that both would have near equal success because in this hypothetical they would both have to go to a team that is currently ready to win a championship...

Brady is more than a system QB, but the fact he was never very mobile, i doubt he could have carried a team on his shoulders that was not already a good team...

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you threw Staubach on the current Jets, they would not magically become a championship team...

so the ultimate answer is that both would have near equal success because in this hypothetical they would both have to go to a team that is currently ready to win a championship...

Brady is more than a system QB, but the fact he was never very mobile, i doubt he could have carried a team on his shoulders that was not already a good team...
Yeah look at Brady going to the Sucaneers. Now look, Belishit is back to being the same Belishit as a head coach he was before Mo Lewis ruined the NFL for 20 years and made chowda heads think Belishit was the greatest Coach ever.

Hysterical...

I am certain if Brady or Staubach went to the Jets.....it would be a lot different.

Remember they made AFC championship games with Sanchez.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good points but Pats were 5-13 with a franchise QB Bledsoe. TB was stacked but 7-9 the year before and no playoffs in 13 years

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points but Pats were 5-13 with a franchise QB Bledsoe. TB was stacked but 7-9 and no playoffs in 13 years

I am not trying to knock brady at all... but the pats always had a good offensive line throughout Brady's career, and their defense was pretty damn good too...

The bucs, their run defense is one of the best of all time, and they are one of the most stacked offenses that we have seen in a long time...

Brady definitely made both teams better than Drew Bledsoe And Jameis Winston ever could... but that is also saying a lot about them... also, when the bucs got Brady, they did some other big moves to make that team ready...

Brady's biggest asset is that he never makes mistakes... and sometimes that is all these teams need...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its funny... nobody can argue that Brady has had the best Career in QB history...

But if you ask people to start a team there are many QBs that people will take over Brady...

when a bunch of us were doing Mock drafts, Brady would regularly be drafted behind Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, and maybe a couple others(Staubach was not one)...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trying to knock brady at all... but the pats always had a good offensive line throughout Brady's career, and their defense was pretty damn good too...

The bucs, their run defense is one of the best of all time, and they are one of the most stacked offenses that we have seen in a long time...

Brady definitely made both teams better than Drew Bledsoe And Jameis Winston ever could... but that is also saying a lot about them... also, when the bucs got Brady, they did some other big moves to make that team ready...

Brady's biggest asset is that he never makes mistakes... and sometimes that is all these teams need...
Brady knows how to read defenses and gets the ball of quicker than just about any QB and throws it into the dirt need be. He was sacked 21 times in 07 and 16 in 09. Cassell was sacked 47 times in 08. Yes I agree that Pats D was always stout, BB is a great defensive guy, offensive not so much and worst at being a GM. He had Moss in 07 and threw 50 tds, and last year had great weapons in TB. But usually his #1 receivers were 5'9 Welker or Edelman

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its funny... nobody can argue that Brady has had the best Career in QB history...

But if you ask people to start a team there are many QBs that people will take over Brady...

when a bunch of us were doing Mock drafts, Brady would regularly be drafted behind Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, and maybe a couple others(Staubach was not one)...
Part of that probably has to do with the idea that durability is mostly luck. If I was guaranteed Brady's long tenure then I'd take Brady every time.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discuss...

Staubach to me is the greatest QB of all time. Has little to do with numbers, but just that eye test thing.

I tend to judge which QBs could play and thrive in ANY SYSTEM, in ANY ERA?

Brady by far will go down as most decorated. No one will break that.

Staubach for all intensive purposes played 8 seasons as full starter. Led to 4 SBs won two and played against some of the best defenses ever.

Put up 31 points in a loss to the steel curtain in one of them. The orange crush defense and that Miami defense which was a great defense. Went on to win the next two SBs.
It really hard to say the results ,but I guarantee you Brady does not have as many rings and he sure as hell would not be playing at this level at his advanced age. Brady likely retires in his mid 30's because he is a statue and QBs took beatings back then. You did not have this sissy BS where you graze or look at tom Brady and flags start raining down!!!

People seem to forget Staubach got that late start to career so maybe he would have been able to play longer in this era,but who knows.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady knows how to read defenses and gets the ball of quicker than just about any QB and throws it into the dirt need be. He was sacked 21 times in 07 and 16 in 09. Cassell was sacked 47 times in 08. Yes I agree that Pats D was always stout, BB is a great defensive guy, offensive not so much and worst at being a GM. He had Moss in 07 and threw 50 tds, and last year had great weapons in TB. But usually his #1 receivers were 5'9 Welker or Edelman

OTOH, isnt it nice that the Brady haters(like me) now have to admit he has the best career, and we have to QUALIFY everything by saying that he is not the most talented...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTOH, isnt it nice that the Brady haters(like me) now have to admit he has the best career, and we have to QUALIFY everything by saying that he is not the most talented...
I'd take a passionate and a fierce competitor every day over talent. Some people can make everyone better around them and believe, and some with talent, think they are God's gift to the team and sport.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 18 out of 20 years in NE Brady had less than stellar WRs. He made Wes Welker and Julian Edelman exceptions to the rule and made his WRs as good as they could be. He got to a SB with Reche Caldwell as his best WR. He won SBs with his best WR being Troy Brown and Deion Branch. No question that he had a great TE in Gronkowski.

The thing that Brady can do at 45 that Starbauch couldn't at 32 was drop back and release the ball accurately in 2 seconds or less. No QB in history has been able to that consistently and Brady does it weekly.

Your argument about Starbauch going to four SB and winning two doesn't really compare to Brady going to ten and winning seven. Brady will also break Brees' passing yardage this week and will own the career TD mark by the end of 2021. He pretty much owns all of the NFL QB records. Starbauch isn't in the top ten on half of them.

The 1970's players were nowhere as big or as as fast as players are today. I know, I was coaching football all through the 1970s.

I've been watching the NFL since 1955 when my dad brought home our first TV and NY Giants were on CBS or NBC every Sunday. Oh yeah, there were only three networks back then and ABC didn't want football.

In all honesty, trying to compare players of different eras is unfair. Think the 1936 Bears could stop Bo Jackson? Think the anyone on the Steel Curtain could run with Tyreek Hill? Think any Olineman could stop Aaron Donald or even run with him? It's like trying to compare a Macintosh with a Fifi as the best for apple pie.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really hard to say the results ,but I guarantee you Brady does not have as many rings and he sure as hell would not be playing at this level at his advanced age. Brady likely retires in his mid 30's because he is a statue and QBs took beatings back then. You did not have this sissy BS where you graze or look at tom Brady and flags start raining down!!!

People seem to forget Staubach got that late start to career so maybe he would have been able to play longer in this era,but who knows.
Haha you are too funny. You kept saying that Brady should retire a few years ago because he would get broken, yet your young QB Dak was out for most of last season. The mobile QB's seen to get injured except Wilson , because he is a rugged bastage. iI you look at the top 10 QB's to start consecutive games, he is in there twice. From 2001-2008 ( first game) and 2009 and present. Brady is tough, takes care of his body like nobody and would last in any era, dominate in the older days when guys were 30lbs lighter or more..

Guys here know I was one of the few that put Roger in the top 10 list of QB's, but comparing era isn't right. With salary cap and free agency's, how many teams repeat.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha you are too funny. You kept saying that Brady should retire a few years ago because he would get broken, yet your young QB Dak was out for most of last season. The mobile QB's seen to get injured except Wilson , because he is a rugged bastage. iI you look at the top 10 QB's to start consecutive games, he is in there twice. From 2001-2008 ( first game) and 2009 and present. Brady is tough, takes care of his body like nobody and would last in any era, dominate in the older days when guys were 30lbs lighter or more..

Guys here know I was one of the few that put Roger in the top 10 list of QB's, but comparing era isn't right. With salary cap and free agency's, how many teams repeat.
Wilson is also one smart sob and knows how to take a hit and how to avoid them when possible. He's like the anit-Vick. On top of being a rugged bastage.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is also one smart sob and knows how to take a hit and how to avoid them when possible. He's like the anit-Vick. On top of being a rugged bastage.
Exactly or an RG3. He is only 5' 10 but a solid one, have seem him fight to get a fumbled ball back and won, while some QB's are pussies

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 18 out of 20 years in NE Brady had less than stellar WRs. He made Wes Welker and Julian Edelman exceptions to the rule and made his WRs as good as they could be. He got to a SB with Reche Caldwell as his best WR. He won SBs with his best WR being Troy Brown and Deion Branch. No question that he had a great TE in Gronkowski.

The thing that Brady can do at 45 that Starbauch couldn't at 32 was drop back and release the ball accurately in 2 seconds or less. No QB in history has been able to that consistently and Brady does it weekly.

Your argument about Starbauch going to four SB and winning two doesn't really compare to Brady going to ten and winning seven. Brady will also break Brees' passing yardage this week and will own the career TD mark by the end of 2021. He pretty much owns all of the NFL QB records. Starbauch isn't in the top ten on half of them.

The 1970's players were nowhere as big or as as fast as players are today. I know, I was coaching football all through the 1970s.

I've been watching the NFL since 1955 when my dad brought home our first TV and NY Giants were on CBS or NBC every Sunday. Oh yeah, there were only three networks back then and ABC didn't want football.

In all honesty, trying to compare players of different eras is unfair. Think the 1936 Bears could stop Bo Jackson? Think the anyone on the Steel Curtain could run with Tyreek Hill? Think any Olineman could stop Aaron Donald or even run with him? It's like trying to compare a Macintosh with a Fifi as the best for apple pie.
Ironic how you say the players of the 70s nowhere near as big or fast. It's ironic cause Brady is very slow. Believe he ran a 5.3 in the 40.

Ok...

Staubach was slight. He was 6 foot 3 about 200lbs. He did run a 4.6 forty.

All of that bigger and faster stuff should also be compared to the rules that protect the players, especially the QBs today.

You comparing the accumulation of Brady's jewels is something I conceded. No one as decorated and no one will be.

However if you took a young Roger Staubach and put him in this league now, with today's rules, I believe he would have had a far easier time of it than Brady going into the rules of Staubachs era.

I know we like to look back and act as though the defenders like a Mean Joe or Jack Tatum etc were not worthy opponents...

The point is it is all based on the eye test. You really think Brady would have had an easier time playing in that era with those rules than Staubach would have now?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Staubach was a helluva a QB , no doubt

Is he the reason the Cowboys were first called 'Murica's Team? I know I could look it up. But I'm busy.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he the reason the Cowboys were first called 'Murica's Team? I know I could look it up. But I'm busy.
I believe it was because the Boys were on national TV a lot and there were local blackouts if the home teams didn't sell out. People were able to watch them on a regular basis. Not to mention the cheerleaders.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it was because the Boys were on national TV a lot and there were local blackouts if the home teams didn't sell out. People were able to watch them on a regular basis. Not to mention the cheerleaders.

That makes sense. And I don't wanna seem like I'm trying to bash the Cowboys. I really don't care about them one way or the other. Steelers looked good yesterday.